Game 103: Nats at Marlins

Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EST

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

MIAMI — Hello from the one and only (and thank god for that) Marlins Park, where tonight the Nationals open up the final leg of their 3-city road trip, facing a Miami club that has won 7 of its last 8. I have to say I am quite outraged at the moment. Though the accompanying photo doesn’t show it, my press box seat leaves me with an obstructed view of the famed home run thingamabob! Who do I speak to about this travesty?

In actual baseball news, the Nationals send Jordan Zimmermann to the mound, looking for a crisper performance than he had earlier on this road trip in Colorado, his first start after suffering from a strained biceps muscle. We’ll see if the right-hander looks a little more like himself this time.

The Marlins have right-hander Nathan Eovaldi pitching, but Matt Williams will stay with Danny Espinosa as his second baseman, one day after Espinosa picked up a hit off a righty in Cincinnati. Otherwise, it’s the standard lineup for the Nats.

Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS

RHP Nathan Eovaldi

UMPIRES
HP Brian O’Nora
1B D.J. Reyburn
2B Ben May
3B Jeff Kellogg (cc)

7:10 p.m. — And we’re underway. It’s 90 degrees outside, but a more-comfortable 80 degrees indoors as Denard Span takes ball one from Nathan Eovaldi.

7:27 p.m. — And 17 minutes and 31 pitches later, the top of the first is complete, the Nationals having manufactured one run off Eovaldi thanks to Anthony Rendon’s single, Jayson Werth’s walk, a wild pitch and Adam LaRoche’s sac fly. The Nats really made Eovaldi work, forcing him to throw more than six pitches on average to each batter. They’d obviously like to have scored more than one run out of it all, but they’ve already started to wear the right-hander down, so that’s a good thing. 1-0 as Jordan Zimmermann takes the mound.

7:30 p.m. — A nice first inning for Zimmermann, who retired the side on 17 pitches and displayed pretty good fastball command. He got Giancarlo Stantion fishing at a 3-2 breaking ball to end the 1-2-3 inning. Amazingly, that’s seven consecutive strikeouts now for Stanton. So I guess he’s one more away from a double golden sombrero?

7:50 p.m. — Zimmermann gave up a couple of hard-hit balls in the bottom of the second, but there was no real damage. His fastball command has been much improved from his last start in Colorado, a particular point of emphasis tonight. Still 1-0 Nats after two.

8:02 p.m. — Both pitchers have found their grooves now. Eovaldi has retired eight straight since the LaRoche sac fly in the first. Zimmermann has retired six straight and 9 of 10 overall. He needed only six pitches to get through the bottom of the third, giving him 40 total on the night.

8:13 p.m. — Make it four scoreless innings for Zimmermann on 50 pitches. He has retired nine in a row, and his lone blemish remains McGehee’s singe to center to lead off the second. We’ve got a pitchers’ duel here, folks, still 1-0 Nats heading to the fifth.

8:30 p.m. — We’ve seen Harper try to throw behind the runner at first base a few times this season, usually without positive results. This time, though, it worked. After Jarrod Saltalamacchia beat the Nationals’ shift with a single to left, Harper fired all the way back to LaRoche. Saltalamacchia decided to bolt for second, but LaRoche’s throw to Rendon (who actually covered second because of the shift) beat him. So it’s a single, then a 7-3-5 out to end the fifth. Crazy.

9:00 p.m. — The Nats finally got to Eovaldi in the top of the sixth, and then continued the damage against a wild Dan Jennings. Three straight singles by Span, Rendon and Werth brought one run home. Then with the bases loaded and one out, Mike Redmond summoned Jennings to face Harper. It was the right move, though Harper did enter the at-bat with a .341 batting average and .919 OPS vs. left-handers this season. He smoked the first pitch he saw up the middle, looking for a moment like an inning-ending double play. But the ball took a bad hop on Hechavarria, who nearly pulled off a spectacular play but instead lost a handle on the ball as he tried to feed it to second base. It was ruled an error, bringing a run home. Ramos’ bases-loaded walk brought home another run, and then Espinosa’s single to center (batting right-handed) brought home two more. Just like that, the Nats lead 6-0 in the sixth.

9:17 p.m. — Uh-oh, Werth had an awkward-looking slide attempt at second base in the top of the seventh and kind of hobbled off the field. Looked like maybe a groin issue. He has been replaced by Nate McLouth for the bottom of the seventh. It’s a 6-0 game, so perhaps things would be different if this was a closer contest. We’ll find out postgame.

9:27 p.m. — The Marlins finally got to Zimmermann in the bottom of the seventh, scoring two runs, though an ill-advised dive attempt by McLouth on a sinking liner didn’t help matters. It’s 6-2 now heading to the eighth, and whatever hope Zimmermann had of a complete game may be gone.

9:41 p.m. — In plenty of other parks, Harper would have just gone oppo boppo. Here, though, it’s a mere double off the 386-foot sign in left-center. Bryce has hit the ball quite well tonight, a very good sign for the Nats. Zimmermann’s night is done, by the way. His final line: 7 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 91 pitches, 61 strikes. Again, the key was excellent fastball command.

9:57 p.m. — Things are getting a bit dicier than Matt Williams would like, with Ross Detwiler giving up a run in the eighth and departing with another runner on third and Stanton at the plate. Enter Drew Storen, who pitched the big slugger impressively. Storen backed Stanton off the plate with an inside fastball, then got him to flail at a pair of outside sliders. Nicely done, protecting the Nats’ 6-3 lead after eight.

10:03 p.m. — To the bottom of the ninth we go. It’s Rafael Soriano vs. McGehee, Jones and Ozuna, the Nats up 6-3.

10:28 p.m. — Oh, boy, that was really bad. Soriano blew it in the ninth, giving up three runs to tie it before getting yanked with the winning run on third. Jerry Blevins entered and after striking out Christian Yelich served up the game-wining hit to Jeff Baker over Bryce Harper’s head in left. A 6-0 lead turned into a 7-6 loss.

1. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Carrying another one forward because the issue will undoubtedly wreak havoc by the time this thread dies:

I think I’ve figured out the mystery of the Word(Salad)Press:

A couple of days ago I posted a comment as a nested reply, but it ended up at the bottom of the thread. When I saw it down there, I noticed that it said “Awaiting moderation” at the top of my post.

I just went back and noticed that the post has apparently been approved, as the “Awaiting moderation” note is gone and it is nested where I originally intended for it to go.

Also, I just went back to the last NI article (Consistency propels Nats to NL’s best record) and noticed that a number of posts that were out of order at the bottom have now moved back into their nested positions.

I have no idea why some posts are “awaiting moderation” and others aren’t (maybe it has to do with posts being reported?).

Even more perplexing is why “pending” posts display publicly. Maybe so we can all see who has been reported and evaluate worthiness of the ignominy? ;)

2. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Reposting from previous thread:

Here’s a cool video on Lucas Giolito: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q6CYkYGHiE

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Wow, he’s really on his way, eh?

3. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Now to the post itself, I’d like to jump in on the NIers penchant for grammar copping:

It’s not:
    “Who do I speak to about this travesty?”

That should be “Whom,” as you will speak to speak to her/him, not s/he.

Or, if we’re being really picky, it probably should be:
    “To whom do I speak about this travesty?”

And, finally, to the spirit of the thing: GYFNG!!!

• natsfan1a - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Yeah, I noticed that as well. :-)

Also in the spirit of the thread: Go, Bulldog! Go, NATS!!

• natsfan1a - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Also, Mr. Stanton will let you know when it’s a home run, Mark. ;-)

• NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I looked this up. I believe this describes my feelings on the matter (and probably Mark’s as well). By the way, I taught high school English for several years.

The very rigid whom-as-object-pronoun rule is not only merely dead, it’s really most sincerely dead.

Use of whom as a direct object or immediately after a preposition is formal, often optional, and becoming archaic.

• NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:21 PM

This usage bothers me far less than “He gave my friend and I a scorecard,” which you hear ALL the time in an incorrect effort to be correct.

• stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM

“I and my friend” makes one sound so much more serious.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:47 PM

stoatva, the error is not the order, it’s the user of “I” instead of “me”

You would say: “He gave me a scorecard” not “He gave I a scorecard.”

• stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Eric, I think in the facetious example I gave both parts were errors. That was supposed to be the funny part. Guess not, huh?

• adcwonk - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Many many years ago, George Bernard Shaw, in referring to the rule about not ending sentences in prepositions, remarked:

“That is a rule up with which I would rather not put.”

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM

stoat, I realized after posting that you may have been posting in jest…sorry about that!

wonk, did Shaw actually say that? I’ve always heard it was Churchill who quipped (more or less), “that’s the kind of crap up with which I will not put” when called out on ending a sentence with a preposition. I believe it’s a false attribution, though.

• Doc - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Yea, GBS Wonk!!!

I shall still strive to put not my prepositions at the end.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:22 PM

“I shall still strive to put not my prepositions at the end.”

I shall be sure to remember that formulation…love it!

• Theophilus T.S. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:24 PM

The fact that a majority is (majority being singular, “a majority”) violate the rule does not make it any less a rule.

4. tcostant - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Danny vs. a RHP – yuck. Walters should be in there.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:53 PM

I think when Walters couldn’t make that shuffle throw to 1st that went past LaRoche it once again accentuated defense when there’s no known offensive advantage. Walters offensive LH splits are poor and so is Danny’s.

I once again agree with MW.

• letswin3 - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Eight innings just ain’t a trial run. The guy failed to make a miracle shovel/scoop throw that had to be rushed to even have a chance … that’s not a defensive failure, it’s a good athlete giving it his best. He deserved to get every start from the day he came up again until July 31, but instead he got only last Friday (when he provided RBI results), only to be followed by the bench and indifference. We know all too well what Danny is going to give us …. why not give Walters a shot …a REAL shot.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM

letswin3, it’s how the braintrust views it and they don’t agree with you.

Does Rendon or Danny make that play? I think they may have. I didn’t see it as a miracle play although high degree of difficulty.

• Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:09 PM

One play and you’re going to give up on Walters Ghost? Really? What’s the point of bringing him up. I’m with letswin3 even if the “braintrust” (including Ghost) isn’t. Do tell us though, when you say, “that’s how the briantrust views it,” do you mean Rizzo and MW, or someone else? And are your reporting from actual knowlege, your own speculation, or speculation of other people who you think are in a position to know?

I must seriously question the braintrust if they brought up Walters thinking he could play 2B but have already decided he can’t based on that one play, whether you think it was a routine or difficult play. That’s just absurd.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM

MW has a personal relationship with Walters thru MW’s son Jake so I don’t think it was his decision. That leaves Rizzo.

There was no easy decision on who to callup. Glad they didn’t callup Souza to just sit. TyMo would’ve been the better decision I think since he would be ALRs backup.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM

On the one hand, if you have people that can make that play, it’s hard to justify playing a call up who missed it

On the other hand, it’s pretty harsh to pass final judgement on a call up because of one missed, difficult play.

If he would just go ahead and emulate Dan Uggla, then we all probably could agree with the decision to bench him ;).

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM

The word “bench” is harsh. He wasn’t brought up as the presumptive starter with Rendon going to 3rd.

I didn’t see it but did he also not get to 2 grounders. I was too lazy to rewatch the game.

• masterfishkeeper - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM

You keep saying Walters’ LH splits are poor, but that wasn’t true at Syracuse. Yes, they are poor in MLB, but TA lk about a SSS.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Yes, and did you see his swing and miss as they were pounding him outside. He literally pulled a pitch 4 inches outside down the rightfield line. It’s better to be lucky than good but on the bad side, he swung at 3 balls in that AB and we all know that pitch is an out most times if you try to pull it. He made contact and it was a big play.

His LH swings are not good overall from what I’ve seen and I’ve illustrated it. AAA and ST stats are nice but can never be an absolute when approach and mechanics are suspect.

• letswin3 - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:17 PM

I can’t argue with you about THAT at bat, because he was indeed trying to get to those “away” pitches, and somehow caught one of them that he took down the line. My argument rests with getting a bigger “screen test” than eight innings (Danny replaced him for the ninth, and I have no problem with late defensive replacements). I just wanted to see Zack get a thorough test over a week or so of everyday AB’s and defensive effort.

• Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:13 PM

TyMo would have been a better choice? You can’t be serious. He’d be getting no playing time at all. And off the bench, Hairston will be main RH PH until we finally, mercifully, get rid of him. Frandsen is fine at 1B for a game if he wants to give ALR a rest (and there’s no indication he does). Walters can play 3 infield positions if necessary and he’s a switch hitter. He’s a much better bench choice than TyMo even if you don’t intend to ever start him. But I sure hope they will.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I just think Walters needs to play every day. TyMo has nothing else to prove. He’s still the best power bat the Nats have off the bench.

• Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:19 PM

That’s a good point about TyMo. I don’t think he should stay in ‘Cuse to get regular at bats. I just don’t think he offers much to the team at this point, on the bench or otherwise. Well, let’s hope he offers something as a trade chip.

Walters doesn’t have a whole lot to prove either, but he could spend the time working on his fielding at 2B. So if they aren’t going to give him some starts, he should probably go back. Bring up Souza if you want a power bat and don’t care about having another backup infielder on the bench. He doesn’t have much to prove either.

• exposedindc - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:25 PM

C’mon man it’s hot in Miami, I’m sure the fine folks in the park could use the cool breeze Danny supplies when hitting.

5. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Nats face Marlins staff ace Henderson Alvarez tomorrow. Tonight’s game is a key for the Nats to get the series started strong.

Also will be a good time for Strasburg to pitch like an Axe tomorrow.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Axe or Ace but chop their wood.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I would honestly settle for a quality start from Stras in that park…his numbers there are HORRENDOUS. If he pitches like an ace, all the better.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Eric, Stras has to step up. As they say, no time like the present.

• knoxvillenat - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Given his splits between road/home starts this season I’m not as optimistic as I’d like to be. So please Stephen, surprise me and pitch well tomorrow, but for tonight go JZ and GYFNG!!!

• NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Actually, Stras’ numbers in Marlins Park are not “horrendous.” Again, I had this impression too, until I actually looked it up. I put his record in Marlins Park (2012-2014, so after his TJ surgery) in my series preview post. He won a game in Marlins Park just fine last September. He’s had three “bad” games there and two “good” games over the course of three seasons.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:46 PM

NL – interesting…I was actually thinking about the stats in your post when I said that. I’ll have to revisit. Apologies if I misinterpreted!

• NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Maybe I wrote too hastily and wasn’t clear. His stats aren’t great and I still have the memory him with McCatty working late into the night after a poor performance in Miami, and probably that image sticks. Plus his most recent game there was poor, and so that reinforced the impression.

JZ, on the other hand, has good results at Marlins Park, but he’s only pitched there four times and in his three wins, the Nats scored 9, 10 and 5 runs…

6. destewart01 - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Can Danny hit righties right handed? I dont think he has many at-bats in that situation…. but his RHB vs LHP numbers are better than his LHB vs RHP numbers. He swears he’s a better leftie, but the numbers say otherwise.

7. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Did he really hurt his hand or is a trade imminent?

“@katlovebaseball: @Dbacks No Aaron Hill again :( :( Any update on how his hand is feeling ? #PrayersForQuickHealingForHilly”

• David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM

He got hit by a pitch on the hand and hasn’t played since. I’d bet he’s legit hurt. If he was healthy, they’d want him playing to prove that.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:43 PM

You are probably right. Anything before the trade deadline gets me wondering if it’s a sign.

I haven’t soured on Hill but there are stronger options. I have him as my 4th but because he’s a salary dump should cost no more than a Cutter Dykstra.

8. ArVAFan - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Re: the thingumabob. I described it to a co-worker who had not seen it yet as “a pachinko machine crossed with a miniature golf course as interpreted by Disney on drugs.” He Googled a video of it in action, said my description was accurate, and decided to keep speaking to me anyway since he couldn’t un-see it. But it was a close call.

With any luck, Mark, you won’t need to see tonight it because JZimm will keep the ball in the park . . . they don’t set it off for visitor’s home runs (thank goodness).

9. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Billy Burns is being called up by the A’s

• Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Paging Mr. Seamhead, Mr. Joe Seamhead.

10. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Bench depth and SPEED!

“@JonHeymanCBS: speedster CF Billy Burns is being called up by a’s. has 51 stolen bases at double-a midland. switch hitter. 80 speed.”

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM

“@CNYJankee: Pitching, defense, speed. #1968″

And timely hits.

• NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Burns, who was acquired from the Nationals this winter in exchange for left-hander Jerry Blevins, hit just .250 with one homer and a .662 OPS in 91 games at Double-A. However, despite not getting on base much Burns did swipe 51 bases while being caught just five times, so he fills Gentry’s role as a defensive-minded speedster.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Burns had an oblique injury that has affected him at the plate. Anyway, I can’t remember who it was that I had a bet with, but somebody on here disagreed with me that Burns would be up to the majors before Brian Goodwin. I’m happy for Billy, by all accounts he’s a great guy and an over achiever that nobody ever thought would make it to the show. And it’s not like he got brought up to a struggling team. And yo guys keep laughing, but I’m telling you he’s a better base runner than Billy Hamilton, with better instincts, and just as much speed.
        We traded the wrong guy for the wrong guy.

11. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM

NL – re: my grammar cop post, that was mostly just ironic, poking fun at our collective tendency to call out our hosts’ vocab/grammar errors in particular and to nitpick minutiae in general.

That said, I do have some grammatical pet peeves, of which “who/m” is not at all one. Things that do get under my skin include:
    – misuse of “comprise”
    – the “my friend and I/me” confusion you mentioned above
    – and, to a lesser extent, ending sentences with a pronoun, but mostly that affects how I speak/write. I don’t get hung up on it when others get it “wrong”.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Your/You’re right

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Yeah, that’s another one, although it’s (not “its”!!! ;) ) so common that I’ve had to learn to let it go when I see it ;).

• adcwonk - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM

And their it is!

No, wait . . . umm . . .

They’re it is!

• NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Yeah, but I just wanted to quote from the Wizard of Oz. And now it’s stuck in my head.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM

And he would’ve made a better bench option than McLouth, or Hairston.

• Another Tyler - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM

You have to give major leeway for the fact that posters here cannot edit anything they post–this from a guy who makes his beer money copyediting.

12. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 55s
    #Mariners and #Braves are teams talking most to #Padres about adding Denorfia for their bench

Ugh, Denorfia kills us.

13. stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I have come to believe that nothing attributed to Churchill, Shaw, Wilde or Yogi Berra was ever uttered by any of them.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Ha!

14. dogface13 - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:12 PM

This season at AAA, Walters OPS against RHP is .880. Espinosa’s OPS against RHP is .550. Walters should be in there against RHP 90% of the time. Time to see what he can do.

• Doc - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Correctomundo on Walters!!

• therealjohnc - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Espinosa is going to get every benefit of the doubt to show whether the better-looking at bats from the left side recently were flukes. He’s going to get that benefit because he’s much better defensively than Walters. If Danny flops back to Danny the K, Walters will get more work quickly (although probably less when ground ball pitchers are slated to start).

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I think that’s part of it. Walters was brought in for bench depth and I’m sure they will give him another start soon. I can’t define what “soon” is.

• natsjackinfl - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Danny has been the good teammate this season. He’s going to get the playing time.

• adcwonk - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Hey, Bryce hit .600 in AAA this year! ;-)

15. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Espi has faced Eovaldi three times and has no hits, a K and a HBP. Frandsen has no hits in 5 ABs, with one K. Walters, not surprisingly has never faced him. Just in case you were wondering if they histories influenced the choice of tonight’s starting 2B.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Thanks, I actually was wondering about this.

Perhaps it’s more about fielding the best infield defense given that I believe Zinn tends to induce ground balls a bit more than average?

• Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I doubt that’s it. Here are the GB/FB ratios of our starting 5 this year:

Gio– .74
        Roark — .78
        JZ — .82
        Stras — .84
        Fister — .95. (1.24 last year).

Look, if he wants the best infield D, Espi is the choice. No one can dispute that. Sooner or later his bat is going to kill us if he plays every day, but I guess on balance, if MW is going to start him against a RH pitcher, I’d rather see him on a day when Ramos is in the lineup so we don’t have the Bermuda Triangle down there.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I seem to recall that the outfield down there is pretty huge…does Espi also provide an advantage on relays from the outfield?

• adcwonk - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Lol!

Well put!

• therealjohnc - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:26 PM

We will never know whether such histories truly impact a manager’s decision making on who starts. Personally I hope it doesn’t, because matchup histories tend to be microscopic sample sizes and those are simply not meaninful in terms of projecting future performance. Nor do the stats say much about the quality of contact (or not) was made. But managers may occasionally mention such stats when it suits their narrative even if they don’t seriously consider the stats in making the decision.

So there’s that :-)

16. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:24 PM

That’s funny. One Churchill quote possibly from Churchill that seems apt for tonight’s lineup is: “However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.”

My favorite though is: “If you’re going through hell, keep going.”

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM

If the former quote is in reference to Espi v. Walters, there ain’t many MLB results to look at as far as Walters goes. At least with Espi you have a proven defensive strength at the MLB level. And, we’re establishing a pretty strong track record of doing well when fielding strong D behind a ground ball pitcher.

I should probably look up Zinn’s ground ball rate before becoming to enamored of this theory, though.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM

It appears he’s a little above average, posting a GB% in the mid – upper 40s most seasons.

Not a no brainer, but worth emphasizing, I think. Seems like the size of the outfield down there might play a role, too, and I wonder how often the Fish on the whole hit ground balls.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM

(PS – MLB average GB% for pitchers is ~44% http://www.fangraphs.com/library/pitching/batted-ball/)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:15 PM

“@ZuckermanCSN: Re: second base, #Nats aren’t using this as opportunity to evaluate one particular guy over a longer stretch (ie. Walters).”

• micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:02 PM

my all time is “if you come to a fork in the road, take it”

• adcwonk - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:04 PM

that’s a good one — here’s another:

“nobody goes to that restaurant anymore, it’s too crowded.”

17. secretwasianman - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Mount Rushmore, Stonhedge, The Grand Canyon. All pale in comparison to the great “Thingamabobit” at Marlins park.

18. natsguy - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Eric,

Try “irregardless” and “orientated” on for size.

• natsjackinfl - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:17 PM

That’s classic funny.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Ugh…there’s a beer named “irregardless” out of York, PA. They did it on purpose, but I still hate the name. Good beer though!

19. letswin3 - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Lefty Tony Sipp from Astros?? Washington Post says he’s a possibility: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/07/28/nationals-trade-rumors-as-deadline-nears/?wpisrc=nl_buzz

20. Whynat - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Late to the party, but I do have an observation on the various posting styles. I am a constant reader, infrequent poster. I enjoy all the posters, even the so-called LOD. I enjoy any regular poster who has some sort of personality on here that I can recognize over time.

There are some very analytic types on here that are fact driven, high baseball IQ, and view things over the long term, and can be dispassionate when necessary. They post that way. There are also posters who are just venting passion or frustration during the heat of the moment, particularly during games threads. Sort of like turning to your body during the game after an opposing dinger and saying “why did he throw that pitch — he’s an idiot.” Not really what you believe, but it’s what you say when frustrated.

So I say to my analytic friends… don’t judge the passion posts through and analytic lens. Take them for what they are. If in doubt, scoll on by.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:11 PM

+1 to an excellent post

• Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Well put.

21. scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:23 PM

You wonder if Bo takes his old friend Moore for Sipp. It is becoming obvious Moore has no place here.

• letswin3 - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I think the Post article said that the Astros scouts were at A and AAA checking out prospects. So, who knows what they may want.

• adcwonk - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Bartender — moore sipps please!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Where does Sipp rate and how do you expect that the Nats would use him?

22. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Go boys need to win another series.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Good to see you around… Was concerned as I hadn’t seen you in a few games…

23. micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I like it Wonk, I assume that is from Yogi

• adcwonk - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Right. (Or, so they say ;-) )

24. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Time to steal

25. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Just foul…

26. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Blue almost punched JDub out. Wow, that was close. It was a ball but that was a call many don’t get on 3-2.

27. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Great at bat…. I thought that was more of a K than the 1st pitch to Werth…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:26 PM

How do you like that AB by LaRoche. Really liked his fighting off pitches to dial a pitch he could drive.

28. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Werth hadn’t gone from 0-2 to walk since 2012 until yesterday and he just did it again today

29. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:24 PM

BS on the 1-0 pitch to Desi. Come on blue, don’t help him!

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Blue is giving that outside… Called it vs Adam too….

30. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Hey Ghost, if you’re watching. How close do you think Brooksbaseball’s pitch location charts are to what we see on Pitchtrack during the game?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Usually spot on except yesterday they were way off. I thought they all use the same equipment. Turns out the ump didn’t call 1 strike a ball for either starter. He called 4 balls strikes for Latos and 3 for Fister.

That walk to Werth was touching the plate on MASN but inches off the plate by Brooks.

• Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Interesting. You provide valuable insight and a reality check by doublechecking key ABs. Thanks.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Only time it’s been off all year. I check them all the time. Not sure what happened there but it was way off. MASN had the ump looking like a hack.

Did you see on Baseball Tonight on ESPN the Reds clip they had of Latos yelling after that inning at the ump. I can’t believe he didn’t get thrown out.

31. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Long inning.

32. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Nice fielding play by JZim to square that up.

33. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Could you imagine if the Marlins had the guts to have made that trade the A’s did with the Cubs and then found themselves a legit 2B and 1B.

IMHO, one of the best outfields in baseball and a decent group of starters.

34. scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:34 PM

ALR has his faults but he is darn solid. Against righties lol.m

35. texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:40 PM

8 pitch inning. Darn.

36. davecydell - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Pains me to watch Harper struggle.
    Will be ecstatic when he gets it together.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I thought that was a good AB. It didn’t result in a hit but that ball he fouled back he was right on.

• knoxvillenat - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:51 PM

2 for 3 tonight plus a walk. A good start ……..?

37. nats128 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Danny shouldnt be bunting at high balls when hes bunting for a hit. Pull the bat back Danny.

38. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Jordan needs to cool it wih the 0-2 hits lately.

39. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:48 PM

That’s why Danny is there. Arm, accuracy, smart 2B.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM

40. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM

FP: I don’t have any challenges so I can make as many as I want.

Good one!

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM

And, why not go for 3?

+1! I lol’d

41. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Werth showing some wheels! WOW!

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM

+1!

• natinalsgo - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:52 PM

That was nice. Saved a run. That is like running back to the out-of-town scoreboard in Nats Park and he rarely makes that same play.

42. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Couple of scary loud outs there…sheesh. Way to hold tight on D fellas.

43. texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Jordan got away with a couple there. Hopefully he settles in.

44. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Anthony is due for some taters.

45. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Letting Eovaldi settle in.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:59 PM

2nd inning allowed that. Ramos and Espi saw 4 total pitches and 8 total for the inning.

46. texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:01 PM

6 pitch inning from Jordan. Good stuff.

47. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:01 PM

That’s what I’m talking about, Zinn. Always nice when Yelich is an easy out.

48. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:02 PM

6 pitches for JZim! Thanks Marlins! 1 to Hechevarria and 3 to the pitcher and 2 to Yelich.

49. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Werth K’d but at least worked Eovaldi. The last 2 innings were cake for him.

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Both called strikes were perfectly placed.

50. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:06 PM

People, I think LaRoche is back! 2 nice ABs.

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:07 PM

And Dez follows swinging at junk first pitch for the DP

• nats128 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:07 PM

+1 and then Desi does what he just did.

51. texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Ugh, Desi. Really letting him off the hook now.

52. micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I wish some how we could get Stanton, he is really a great player
    Zim looks sharp indeed

53. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Desi in the 5 spot just isn’t working….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I think Ramos to the 5 and Desi to the 6 and Bryce to the 7 would be something I would try.

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Do you want LaRoche and Ramos back to back? Big DP capability.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I don’t but I see what people are saying about Desi “pressing” in the 5.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I would do Bryce to 6 and Desi to 7…

Yeah Danny but hopefully the power hits come and not too many DP’s…

54. micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Desi has cooled off, what is concerning is that he clearly is not seeing the ball at all

55. micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM

With Stanton and Yelich, the Marlins could have 2 cornerstones to their team. I would be shocked if marlins do not resign Stanton

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Depends on his asking price. Can guarantee they won’t trade him this offseason.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Don’t forget Ozuna. He’s a young kid like Yelich and should get better as he’s been slowed by injuries. It’s their infield and catcher and front of their bullpen that needs major improvements.

I wish I was their GM with $120 million payroll.

• micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM

forgot about Ozuna, good point Ghost.

Danny, your probably right

56. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM

3 fastballs to Stanton in the same spot nice!

57. texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I think JZ just busted McGhee in on purpose because he was annoyed that he was wasting time early in the at bat.

58. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:13 PM

That was just nasty….

59. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Look at that by Bryce. If that hits Eovaldi’s leg it breaks his leg.

60. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Thought that was a gapper for Ramos. Perfectly defended.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Yep, off the bat it looked real good. Perfectly positioned.

61. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Good AB by Espi even though it ended in a K.

• micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Ghost

I think Espi will be the everyday 2nd baseman, if there s no trade. Am i right?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I would until the first f*****g time I see him swing long. Between Espi, Walters and Frandsen they just don’t excite with the back and where Espi has the advantage is he is a + fielder.

With all that said, I would be surprised if Rizzo doesn’t make a trade.

• scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Scary thought. You know what you get with him, it’s not like he hasn’t had his chances.

• David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Was it? He saw pitches, but he swung at ball 4 three times on a 3-2 count. A walk would’ve been big there.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I thought he swung at at least a couple out of the zone.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Too close to take and foul them off is fine. Same thing LaRoche did.

• Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Meh. A K is a K is a K. There’s a good reason MW didn’t send Bryce. Didn’t want a strike ‘em out/throw ‘em out DP.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:35 PM

True BUT, It was a long at-bat with some good foul offs and a steady swing. Better than his typical K on 3 ugly eyes closed pitches.

You all know if I’m saying anything nice about Danny that I’m being sincere.

I’m praying for a trade. It’s the choice of Charlie Brown, Goofy and Pluto. Not a good pool of cartoon characters to choose from.

62. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I hate it when we strand a runner after a leadoff base hit.

63. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Salty took Harper’s bait.

64. texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:30 PM

That was weird on the hit by Salty. They had the shift on but then it looked like Ramos called for an outside pitch and that’s where JZ put it so he just took it that way into the hole created by the shift.

65. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Hey, look! Other teams make silly baserunning mistakes, too!

66. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Well.. Dayum….

67. texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:33 PM

If they can work the pitch count here, they can get him out of the game since he is going to be up next inning.

68. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:37 PM

ALR has had a couple of key contributions so far tonight. The throw to second to get Salty from Harp’s throw was not an easy play.

69. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Rendon with 2 BABIP’d singles that against the Rockies were easy outs. That’s how they work some days. ;)

70. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:38 PM

BS strike 1 against Werth. Come on blue!

71. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Strike 1 to Werth was the first time blue has given that part of he plate all game.

72. breakbad1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM

I have made some comments critical of Harper on Nats Insider. But the way he decoyed Salty and then threw behind him was beautiful. Well done!

73. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM

I’d go double steal right here.

74. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Werth with another crushed grounder!

75. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:40 PM

YOWSA! Werth is da man!

76. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Very nice top o’ the 6th so far…keep it up fellas!!

77. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Productive out by LaRoche! Way to tag Rendon! #Learning

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Yep.

78. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:41 PM

LaRoche just missed parking that hanger.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I bet it was hit off the end of his bat as it looked to me he reached to pull the ball.

79. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Now I believe when we check the charts that LaRoche pulled an outside pitch which he purposely did as he wanted to hit behind Rendon to advance him.

That’s a pro AB.

80. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Eovaldi could be very good if he developed a plus 3rd pitch.

81. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:43 PM

One stat rule I don’t get. ALR advances the runner to 3rd with the fly but no sac, and it counts against his BA

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:46 PM

I was just thinking about that. An out like that should be captured somehow.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Actually, why not just treat it the same as a sac fly (no AB), sans the RBI?

82. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:44 PM

LMAO @ “firm swing”

83. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Great take by Desi on 2-1. Desi with a big ribeye on the grill and works the walk.

84. scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:45 PM

This is where Harper needs to end this game

• scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Not so much

85. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Bryce contact contact contact!

86. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I’d be happy to see Bryce get a base hit.

87. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:49 PM

How do you like that bounce. RBI for Harper. Does he get a hit?

• scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:50 PM

No way. Should have been a DP.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:53 PM

That hop was brutal. I am usually a tough scorer, but I’d give him a hit on that. No fair to call Heccavaria for an E in my opinion.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM

If the ball doesn’t bounce, yes easy DP, but luck was on his side.

88. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:49 PM

You lucked out there Bryce.

89. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Ramos with steaks on his grill.

90. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Luck is with the Nats tonight…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Mostly yes but 3 balls smoked to the outfield that were hit right at fielders.

91. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I’ll take it! Bob Carpenter jinxed them with the call that it was a double play ball. Carp kills me sometimes. That should be a hit.

92. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:50 PM

The reason Hechavarria couldn’t make the throw is because the timing with his 2nd baseman was off. His 2nd baseman was across the bag.

93. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Give Span credit for starting all this with the bunt

94. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM

So I’m gonna guess that this pitcher was bought in to just get Bryce…. Which, he did but his If defense let him down… Kinda surprised Redmond left him in against Ramos…

95. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM

It’s not like that ball hit the edge of the grass or something. Squarely on the basepath. It looked like that huge hop was generated by Bryce’s swing. Amazing. And should be a hit. Echaverria was lucky to snare it.

96. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:52 PM

So far this game is like a fine wine…improving with age

97. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:52 PM

ESPI!!!!!

98. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Right-handed Danny delivers

99. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:52 PM

See, Espinosa. And don’t tell me because he was batting RH although that helped ;)

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I just might.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I’m happy for Espinosa.

• nats128 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM

LMAO, that was nice. Marlins manager should have brought in the righty against Ramos and to face Espinosa. Thats poor managing.

• Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM

He was batting right handed. :-)

100. TimDz - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Note to Miami…..
    This ain’t Houston you’re playin’ anymore…..

101. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Love Span walks.

102. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Span walks yet again. On base twice in the same inning.

103. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Span on again. Locked in? I think so.

104. nats128 - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I am still waiting for a Nats grandy this inning. They have had 3 or 4 bases loaded ops!

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:01 PM

We haven’t homered in ages.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I love it… I love winning this way.

• nats128 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Right and still winning. Those 2 run singles are the same in the RBI column on the boxscore.

105. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Rendon now leads the NL in runs scored, btw

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Glad to hear he has surpassed that Cardinal that made the AS game. BS

• Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Henceforth, he is “he who shall not be named.”

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Yes, yes he is HWSNBN.

106. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Interested to see how J Zimm looks like inning after the LONG break.

• TimDz - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Have your answer?
      Go Znn…..

107. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:05 PM

J Zimm looks fantastic! Not easy against these fish who I believe have won 7 of 8.

• TimDz - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM

The Marlin’s run may be more of an indictment of the Barves than a statement by the Fish….

108. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Dayum. Zinn!!

109. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:06 PM

JZim playing magician now. That’s just not fair to the youngster!

• nats128 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM

That was the disappearing ball trick. I thought it was up the middle.

• texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Youngster is right. That guy looks like he is about 12. You could almost hear him say “Aw shucks mister.”

110. davecydell - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM

That was cool

111. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Why would you run on Stanton? That’s Werth’s first out on the bases this year.

112. texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Not sure why Werth wants to challenge Stanton on that. I guess he just wanted the double.

I hope he didn’t pull a muscle right there.

113. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Hope Werth is fine after that stumble. He wasn’t tagged btw.

114. natinalsgo - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Was that smart by Werth in a 6-0 game when you got knee and groin issues.

115. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:14 PM

6-0 lead, put McLouth in. No need to risk anything

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:16 PM

• scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:19 PM

MW heard you

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM

One might say that same thing about trying for 2 there…

• David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Agreed, it’s a dumb play.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Hope FP’s right that it’s nothing major.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:22 PM

+1 Not smart for many reasons.

116. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Mets beating up the Phoolies 7-0

117. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Stanton probably feels like he hasn’t touched 1st base in a while.

118. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Not a good play by McLouth. Inserted for defense and makes a stupid play.

• natinalsgo - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Cost his pitcher a run there and would have kept Stanton at 2nd and now leads to 2 runs. Bad decision McLouth.

119. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Why lay out in that situation? He wasn’t even close.

120. texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM

McClouth just cost JZ the shot at the shutout.

• David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Cost him the second run, too.

121. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM

See what walks do up by 6?

122. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Wine starting to get a whiff of vinegar.

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Can’t have it all. Just finish it here

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I think I just left the cookin’ vinegar open on the counter.

123. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Just awful judgement, Nate. Come on an, he wasn’t close to being able to catch it. Dumb as dod doo.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Boy, did I need an edit button for that one!

124. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Goes from a great outing to one that looks so-so because of McLouth’s misplay.

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Your standards are too high if you think it’s now so-so.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Just based on the boxscore not what got him there.

125. scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM

That’s our late inning replacement? JZ deserved better.

126. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Nate trying to be a hero in limited action.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Yes, but slow and steady wins the race.

• knoxvillenat - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Reminds me a bit of Werth in 2011, trying too hard in an attempt to justify the big contract maybe?

127. nats128 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Hate to see that as I expect more from a veteran like Mclouth.. JZ had it going.

Great play by Espi to end that inning.

128. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM

LOVE the defensive positioning and love the execution by Espi.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Yep. Without the shift that was a base hit all the way, Eric.

129. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Harper acts hurt, proceeds to crush a ball.

130. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Bryce rattled the wall. Nice shot.

131. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM

WOW! Nice one Harp!

132. nats128 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Nice shot by Espi. Unfortunately Bryce wasn’t going on contact.

133. scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Danny you need to drive that in

134. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM

The one time Harper isn’t aggressive on base. Good thing that didn’t happen in a closer game.

135. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Maybe Bryce misread the ball’s height and was worried about getting doubled off?

136. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:40 PM

FP speculated that it was Werth’s left foot or anke. My guess is that it is his right knee. We’ll hear after the game I hope.

137. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:40 PM

FP and Carp are joking about questions to ask Denard Span and the funny part is that is what Debbie Taylor would have asked.

• knoxvillenat - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Exactly what I was thinking when I heard them.

138. scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Come on Ross

139. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Look at the pinch-hitters. They get hits. Nats rarely do.

140. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Need the pitcher’s best friend doubleplay here.

141. nats128 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Because of McLouth trying to be a hero this game went from a joke to a Maalox moment.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:49 PM

What was that? Damn.

142. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Why wouldn’t Danny get Reed Johnson at second?

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I think Yelich caused him to panic a little and go for the obvious out. The scenario with Johnson was unusual, and he probably didn’t want to pause to think it through even for a fraction of a second.

That said, he could’ve just stood there and waited, as Johnson only had one direction to go.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Temporary thinking.

143. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Bad play Espi. Don’t let the Marlins get 2 in scoring position.

144. texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Doesn’t Espi have to get the runner at second there?

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Just needed to tag the runner.

• nats128 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:52 PM

It also took a way the doubleplay

145. davecydell - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:49 PM

not the smart play from the smart 2bman

146. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I know what he was trying to do, but a quick shovel to Desi might have turned the DP. Too bad.

147. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:52 PM

This thing quickly turned….

148. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM

FP thought we were up by 2 ha!

149. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM

I’m totally with FP here. Can’t imagine why they don’t IBB Stanton.

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Because you are putting the tying run at the plate….

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM

I agree, even after what Storen just did.

Tonight’s outcome is definitely more gratifying, though!

150. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM

STOREN!!

151. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Way to go Storen.

152. knoxvillenat - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Drew!

153. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Storen is clutch

154. texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Druuuuuuuuu

155. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM

That’s what I’m talking about! Stopper stuff from Storen!

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Stanton is flailing at the outside junk all game.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:59 PM

True but he was seeing fastball and couldn’t get close to that slider. That’s the beauty of the wipeout slider.

The fact that Storen/Ramos went back to the same slider was gutsy.

156. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM

What a sequence….

• TimDz - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Pushing him off the plate was the perfect setup…..

157. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Wow! Drew, you are now da man!

158. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Bailed out Det and Espi

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Welcome back MNF. Where have you been?

159. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Excuse me, but that was very ballzy by Storen and MW.

160. Another Tyler - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Ant Rendon! I love it.

161. secretwasianman - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Gotta go Storen in the ninth. Soriano has looked bad lately. flirting with trouble.

162. scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM

5 games without a HR for the Nats in some pretty hitter friendly parks

163. secretwasianman - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:07 PM

cant believe no Storen. Soriano sucks. this game will be blown. hope im wrong

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

How can’t you believe no Storen. Soriano is the closer.

164. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I would have let Storen try for the 4 out save. His stuff was nasty. Now Sori will be unavailable tomorrow. Hope Drew is as good tomorrow as he was today.

165. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Sheesh

166. scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Damn this team can’t make anything easy, can they?

• scmargenau - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Just caught up on dvr – unreal!! Grrr

167. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Pass me the antacids and some ice bartender.

168. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM

What is going on?

169. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM

YIKES

170. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Ozuna has a whole lot of late game HRs. Come on Sori.

171. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM

heart attack Soriano is back

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Pleaseeee don’t mess this up.

172. secretwasianman - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM

HE STINKS> THIS IS ON MW AHE SHOULD have blown the last two.

173. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Isn’t Sori supposed to back up third base on that play?

174. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Get Clippard up.

175. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Get clip up. Soriano has nothing so far tonight

176. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Leaky bullpen of late blah.

177. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I’m not nervous… And I know we win….

178. scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM

All goes back to mclouths bonehead play

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Big out… Just finish it up sori

179. secretwasianman - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Soriano is a joke. he has no heater his breaking stuff are cent mixers. its just a matter of time before he gives one away. MW needs to pull him NOW!!!!!!!

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I see why people can find you annoying. The dude has scuffled lately but he has been great all year before.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM

You got one thing right: he will blow another save someday, maybe even today…

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Where you been when we winning? Soriano has nothing tonight.

180. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM

That is a huge out.

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Wow… Called that a strike to werth three times earlier

181. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I’ll take that trade. Roll a pair.

182. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

All right. One out, one on, one run ahead. Time to finish this.

183. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

This is the worse Soriano has looked all season. Can’t keep the damn ball down

184. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Do we even know if Clippard is warming??????

185. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Sori hasn’t really looked right since the AS break… Sure he’s gotten the job done but he seemed much more efficient before the break….

186. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Soriano has no idea where the ball is going

187. scnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Soriano just putting guys in hitters counts

188. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Cult of the closer. Even when he doesn’t have it, you leave him in. Blech.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I disagree. Even Papelbon has been pulled and plenty of others. You could see quickly he didn’t have it tonight.

• Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I agree. It’s the cult of the closer that leads to MW, like many other managers, not even having someone warming.

189. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Like I always say team before player. If Soriano doesn’t have it, pull him because you have Clippard.

• janebeard - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Exactly my thought.

190. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

He often pitches high in the zone. That’s not a sign that he’s off. Doesn’t have the usual movement that makes batters miss or at least not center the ball.

191. micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

bottom line, you can’t blow 6-0, 6-2 and 6-3 leads if you are a serious contender

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Crazy things happen in a 162 game season.

• David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Good teams do it every year, Mick

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Hell of an ab here tho

192. nats128 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Trying to keep positive thoughts.

• janebeard - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

me too

it’s hard

193. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Bad, bad wild pitch

194. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

This is like a HRod appearance

195. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Wild wild pitch.

196. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Yikes….

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Well I’d pull him now…

197. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Come on, where is Clippard?

198. Section 222 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Acckkk.

199. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Can’t let this happen.

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Kind of felt like we lost focus after werth got hurt… Hope the big guy comes back tomorrkw

200. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Nobody even throwing in the pen is pathetic