Instant analysis: Marlins 7, Nats 6

Jul 28, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

GAME IN A NUTSHELL: For six innings, the Nationals were all business, getting a vintage pitching performance from Jordan Zimmermann and an opportunistic rally off the Marlins pitching staff to take a commanding, 6-0 lead and seemingly put themselves in comfortable position to improve to a season-best 13 games over .500.

But then the Marlins scored twice off Zimmermann in the seventh and then added another off Ross Detwiler in the eighth. Even so, they led by three runs entering the bottom of the ninth, with Rafael Soriano taking the mound in search of his 26th save. He never got it.

Soriano let five of the six batters he faced reach safely, with three runs scoring along the way to tie the game. Matt Williams finally summoned Jerry Blevins to try to escape the jam, but the left-hander (after striking out Christian Yelich) served up the game-winning hit to Jeff Baker over Bryce Harper’s head in left field.

On top of all that, the Nationals watched Jayson Werth depart after an awkward-looking slide in the top of the seventh, suffering what appeared to be some type of leg injury. The Nats, as has been their policy, revealed no injury information before the game ended, so it’s unclear whether Werth was seriously hurt or not.

HITTING HIGHLIGHT: Stymied for most of the night by Eovaldi, the Nationals finally got to the hard-throwing right-hander in the top of the sixth. Back-to-back-to-back singles by Denard Span, Anthony Rendon and Werth produced one run. Then came the biggest moment of the game, with the bases loaded, one out and Harper at the plate. Miami manager Mike Redmond summoned Jennings from his bullpen, and though the lefty got Harper to hit a sharp chopper to short on his very first pitch, the ball ate up Adeiny Hechavarria, who couldn’t start a potential inning-ending 6-4-3 double play. Instead, the run-scoring error prolonged the inning and set the stage for the Nationals to add three more runs off the erratic Jennings. What had been a 1-0 pitchers’ duel at the start of the inning morphed very quickly into a 6-0 lead that should’ve been enough on this night.

PITCHING LOWLIGHT: Soriano’s night was a fiasco from the moment he took the mound. He walked leadoff man Casey McGehee on four pitches, then served up a double to Garrett Jones. Marcell Ozuna’s single to center brought home one run, then Jarrod Saltalamacchia’s sac fly brought home another. Adeiny Hechavarria’s triple to right-center brought home the tying run. Then after a wild pitch and a hit batter, Soriano’s night mercifully came to an end, with Matt Williams trudging to the mound asking for the ball.

KEY STAT: Harper is hitting .333 (15-for-45) with four extra-base hits and 10 RBI vs. left-handed pitchers this season.

UP NEXT: Stephen Strasburg will try to exorcise his Marlins Park demons (he has an 8.31 ERA in five career starts here) Tuesday night when he faces All-Star Henderson Alvarez. First pitch is scheduled for 7:10 p.m. EDT.

1. Drew - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:31 PM

My 4-year-old son could have saved that game.

2. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Only thing I can think re: leaving in Sori and Blevins is that MW didn’t want to kill the pen. If this was a rubber match, I bet he’d play it differently.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:33 PM

No way if you think that way. They had 1 pinch-hitter left. You play that to win it.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM

I’m not saying it’s a good or bad reason, just trying to make some kind of sense out of the decision to leave in either of them.

3. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:32 PM

“Mark Zuckerman @ZuckermanCSN
    Instant analysis (if you can stomach it): #Nats bullpen blows 6-run lead, loses 7-6: http://bit.ly/1rZCi4b

They blew a 4 run lead, but who’s counting.

• pchuck69 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM

They lead 6-0.

• texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:36 PM

The bullpen didn’t.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Read what he wrote “#Nats bullpen blows 6-run lead”. The bullpen blew a 4 run lead. Detwiler took over with a 6-2 score.

4. secretwasianman - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM

what a disgrace. Ray night is all over MW. he sat there like a stump and watched a win slip away. Soriano has nothing. just nothing. he stinks. his teammates no it and don’t trust him. the only person who think hes good is MW and himself.

5. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM

And I blame MW for leaving Blevins in against a righty… Idc if he wanted to save arms or not… Sori was belt high all night..

He got schooled….

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Absolutely

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Of course.

• tcostant - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:44 AM

So agree.

Soriano just didn’t have it last night. I could see it, you likely saw it and the guys on TV were noting that all his pitches were right in the zone. I would have got him out of there at 6-5 but was so glad when MW did get him out of there at 6-6. Blevins did his job vs. the lefty, but I was saying to my wife, get him out now and I rather see Barrett. Painful loss.

6. coollikelivo - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Who says Soriano doesn’t have too much drama is now witnessing the long term risk to his approach. Unbelievably frustrating, but unfortunately that is who he is and it is going to catch up to him and the Nats at the worst of times…. Grrrrrrrrr!

7. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM

A lot of blame to go around in this one. Werth deserves blame for going for 2 up 6-0 and then tweaking something to come out. McLouth deserves a lot of blame for the “triple” that changed the momentum of the game. Detwiler deserves blame. Soriano deserves blame. A 3 run lead should be safe. Matt Williams most of the blame. It was clear early that Soriano had nothing. Clippard should’ve been warming behind him. Blevins worked out vs Yelich, but it’s inexcusable to not have a righty up to face Baker. Baker crushes lefties and Blevins sucks vs righties. If Matt wants a lefty he can use against both sides, Rizzo needs to go acquire one because Blevins ain’t it.

Brutal loss. But don’t give me any BS about “good teams don’t lose these games.” They do. Not often, but they happen. This one sucks though. Reminds me of the game in Baltimore last year.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Wasn’t there a game where the Braves came back on an 11 run deficit to beat the 98-win Nats? I wasn’t following much back then, but I recall reading about something like that.

• David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM

It was 9 runs. Most proclaimed the season over after that loss.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM

9 run deficit.

• NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Yes. I was there. Davey managed like a 2-year-old. It was terrible, and Davey actually took the blame for it. (Of course, the players on the field contributed mightily). Davey left Stras in too long and made a half-dozen other “mistakes.”

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Too bad it doesn’t happen to good teams, eh?

• NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM

It was a strange game. Fredi refused to let the umps call the game even though the Barves were down by about 6 runs, it was late innings, and pouring down rain.

If that’s what you mean by “killer” instinct, then I guess Fredi had it, because he made his players continue in terrible conditions, and with a double header the next day. The Nats had a 2.5 game lead after the loss. The Barves shut the Nats out 4-0 in the first game of the double header on Saturday and the Nats were down to a 1.5 game lead.

Then John Lannan pitched a gem in the nightcap. And that was that.

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM

PS – I was at that game in Bmore.. That was brutal.

• laddieblahblah - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:03 PM

It really started with Werth’s poor judgment. Then McClouth gives away at least 1 run, probably 2. Then Espinosa fails to start the double play properly. Maybe they get it, maybe they don’t, but he blew any chance of turning it.

And if the lead is greater than 3 runs, MW leaves in Storen to finish the 9th, but that was not the case thanks to McClouth and, perhaps, Espinosa. I would have left Storen in, anyway. The object is to win the game, not pad the closer’s stats, and Soriano had a rough outing just last night and had to throw a high number of high stress pitches to preserve that win against the Reds. Storen was not only well-rested, he was as sharp as he has been all year. Matt had a 1-2-3 9th, but left it sitting in the dugout, instead of sending him back out in the 9th. To hell with ridiculous baseball etiquette. Win the game. Why have a guy well-rested and sharp, and then replace him with another guy who was probably in need of a day off?

What does JZ have to do to get a win? The main question when he pitches seems to be whether the offense, or the defense, or the pen will lose it for him – this time it took all 3 to blow a 6-run lead, with an assist from Matt’s unimaginative, robotic use of a worn-out closer who had nothing, and for leaving him in until he had completely blown the save.

I hope the team supports their starter, tomorrow, better than they did JZ, tonight. And if they need someone to close out the 9th, fer Chrissakes, use someone who has some gas left in his tank.

• scmargenau - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Who hacked into DPs account a wrote this?? ;-)

Seriously, u r spot on. And it does happen.

In a way I think it’s a good reality check. Also, with Werth hurt Rizzo more likely to make a move now.

8. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:35 PM

That’s too bad. Don’t fault MW for letting Soriano start the ninth. He is the closer, that has been the protocol all season. Could have taken him out earlier though.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I completely disagree… Sori didnt record his first out until after 1 run scored… And he was belt high all night… Just not good managing in the 9th…. Not at all.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Agree all pitches that were strikes were belt high. All other pitches were balls. After the double was the time to pull him.

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:41 PM

I said he could have pulled him earlier. Said I had no fault with Soriano starting the inning.

• laddieblahblah - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:08 PM

“Don’t fault MW for letting Soriano start the ninth.”

Why not? The object is to win the game.

“He is the closer, that has been the protocol all season.”

The object is to win the game. Winning the game takes precedence over protocol. Who was keeping score, Emily Post?

9. philipd763 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Managing lowlight: Matt Williams falling into a deep sleep.

10. secretwasianman - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:36 PM

who cares about Sorianos numbers. hes a loser. he almost blew the last two games.

11. ehay2k - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Another game tomorrow

12. coollikelivo - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM

At least ALR is out of his slump with a decent night and good average last several games.

13. stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM

There was a lot to find fault with in that game, but I cannot understand how Williams does not have Stammen or Clippard up behind Blevins.

14. thewerthwhisperer - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Storen strikes out Stanton, Soriano has been dicey and overused, the simple thing would have been for Drew to continue into the 9th. Why the closer has to automatically be used is beyond me. 50-50 hindsight is easy, but…

15. texnat1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM

If baseball contracts were like NFL contracts, a lot of managers would flat out cut McClouth given his stupidity tonight against the backdrop of his play this season,

• secretwasianman - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM

5 million wasted on this guy.

• micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I was the idiot this morning defending McClouth, I was wrong, I admit it. and, I was wrong about MW, he is a total dumb ass manager.

It figures Werth goes down, remember, we are DC

16. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM

I stood in the rain when the Nats (and Davey Johnson) blew the game against Atlanta in 2012. That wasn’t the end of the season, FAR from it. I really don’t know what Werth was thinking, though. His adrenaline took over, I guess, just as Bryce’s did. But he should ahve better judgment. So when we are harshing Bryce, remember this play.

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Reason! That play really seemed to deflate the team. Hope he’s alright

17. secretwasianman - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM

This game was lost when MW didn’t let Storen return for the 9th. Soriano has nothing. he brings nothing. when was the last time he didn’t put the leadoff batter on.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:43 PM

That I agree with, but I am not giving up like you have.

• micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM

bingo!!!

MW showed me he is a total dumb ass!!!

• snerdblurter - Jul 29, 2014 at 12:37 AM

hey, look! its the three stooges all agreeing on another ridiculous fact-free argument!

• whitennerdy898 - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Things Soriano brings: 200 career saves, 25 of 29 save opportunities converted, and a sub 2.00 ERA.

The game wasn’t lost until Miami’s 7th run crossed the plate, that’s how the game works. Soriano didn’t put the leadoff man on on Friday, just 2 appearances ago (how quickly we forget). You enjoy those advanced sabremetrics, why don’t you check this out: http://m.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/07/28/rafael-soriano-is-the-best-closer-in-the-nl/

This board doesn’t need constantly negative posters like you, SWM – where will you be after Soriano’s next 1-2-3 save? The next time he strikes out the side?

• laddieblahblah - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Soriano was gassed from recent workload. He’s 34. I don’t really blame him for being tired and having nothing. I put the 9th on Matt for not understanding that. He is paid to win, and he had a winning move (leaving Storen in) that he didn’t take, just because the Nats had a 3-run lead instead of a 4-run lead.

Anyone trying to give a logical explanation for that needs to take a remedial course in logic. It made no sense to me.

18. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Then Sori has the nerve to not back up 3rd… I mean he just had a horrible night… Just a terrible effing loss…

But again, Sori hasn’t seemed right to me since the AS break….

• stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM

If Williams needed an excuse to relieve Soriano of his duties, not backing up plays twice in the ninth would be it. But those kinds of rules only apply to Harper, it seems.

19. coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Man… Even MrsB is joining the bitter chorus. I’ll chose hating sori over hating bryce, but happy none of you had the choice to keep or deal storen after 2012. This is baseball, bad games especially on a long road trip happen. Don’t be secretwasianman fans… 2 of them is enoigh

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Frankly I don’t hate either btw but fans seem to need someone

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Noooo… I call it like I see it… This was a horrible loss and to try to suggest otherwise is ludacris… Given how we lost it…

Sori should have been pulled after he recorded the first out…
      Blevins should have been pulled after he got the lefty out… All he is, is a Loogy…

Sori made many mental mistakes tonight and wasn’t efficient at all… MW has to do a better job in not being stubborn… I’ve said time and time again how I don’t care for the ‘roles’ of pitchers… I would have left Storen in myself…

But me has to accept this loss as his as it is…

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Sori is also the horse that got us here and has shown In the past multiple times he can live on the edge. We let one (that frankly was gifted to us on a bad hop and a bad call by the ump with span running in the base path on that bunt) slip.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM

What does that have to do with anything… Tonight Sori was terrible…

And are you seriously trying to say that the blue didnt help us, when Sori was belt high and totally had no command tonight… Stop it…

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:38 PM

No I’m saying span was in the base path on his but and should have been called out

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:43 PM

I.e that and a bad bounce led to the 6 run lead. Bad luck happens, but I do not fault MW in the slightest for leaving in Sori and the Me focused hatred (I’m conflating hatred with “calling out” I know) of late bothers me a ton. Yes storen could’ve stayed in and yes Blevins should’ve been pulled, but you have not been watching this team if you think sori being up is a new thing since the break.

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:43 PM

*bunt not but

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Also MW not Me

20. Smyrcok - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM

It felt like I watched Soriano throw that game away in slow motion

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:46 PM

What was slow was MW. Managers are often way to slow to remove the closer.

• scmargenau - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:42 PM

21. breakbad1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Although I believe Storen should replace Soriano as closer tomorrow, and I also believe MW really screwed up by not bringing in the righty, I don’t think either factor was the most important factor in this loss.

The most important factor? The Nationals have no killer instinct.

Boswell has written about this. A lot of MLB believes it. We saw it tonight. This is a game we should have won 10-0. We absolutely did not step on Miami’s neck when we were up 6-0.

We did the same thing tonight we did in Game 5. The DNA of the team has not changed.

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:46 PM

You lose credibility by referencing boz btw

22. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:43 PM

So, we lost by one run. We lost by one run to Johnny Cueto. A loss is a loss. On to tomorrow.

23. secretwasianman - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:43 PM

And the worse thing. SORYY OH NO will sleep better than any of us tonight.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Nats still in 1st place. We should all sleep well except Soriano. Just hard to believe what I just witnessed.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM

We are in first I am fine.

• David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Well except Soriano was reportedly upset over his blown save in SD for days. But I’m sure you know what he’s thinking or feeling.

24. Nats fool - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Soriano should not have been pitching. He was clearly gassed. I hate the idea that a closer always has to close. Clip should have been pitching. Big game tomorrow. Why do I not like Stras pitching it? Let’s hope this doesn’t send them into a tailspin.

• laddieblahblah - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM

“Soriano should not have been pitching. He was clearly gassed. I hate the idea that a closer always has to close.”

Totally agree, except that I would have sent Storen back out to pitch the 9th, especially after seeing his slider in the bottom of the 8th. You would think that Emily Post was managing the team.

25. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM

“David Proctor – Jul 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM
    A lot of blame to go around in this one. Werth deserves blame for going for 2 up 6-0 and then tweaking something to come out. McLouth deserves a lot of blame for the “triple” that changed the momentum of the game. Detwiler deserves blame. Soriano deserves blame. A 3 run lead should be safe. Matt Williams most of the blame. It was clear early that Soriano had nothing. Clippard should’ve been warming behind him. Blevins worked out vs Yelich, but it’s inexcusable to not have a righty up to face Baker. Baker crushes lefties and Blevins sucks vs righties. If Matt wants a lefty he can use against both sides, Rizzo needs to go acquire one because Blevins ain’t it”

Great point on the shift in momentum on the triple going by McLouth. He wasn’t really close to making that play. Instead of the RBI triple, it’s probably men on 1st and 2nd and 2 outs.

• laddieblahblah - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:23 PM

That play also meant that the Nats would have been up by more than 3 runs going into the 9th, so Soriano would probably not have even entered the game.

26. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Werth tweaked his ankle is the reason he left the game. That play turned out to loom large. Instead of man on 1st and no outs he cleared off the bases.

27. micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Sori did not have it tonight. I am pissed at MW who I complimented a few days ago. He seemed like a stooge tonight and that is unacceptable. MW may be an idiot. A good manager and pitching coach pulls Sori well before it gets to 6-4, both idiots wait till it gets to 6-6 before making the change.

Do either MW or Cat have a feel for their pitchers. Again, I am not down on Sori, that happens, but good managers usually can discern that before their team gets humiliated.

Harper is just a dumb ass, sorry, how many more games is this young jack ass going to cost this team.??

28. micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:47 PM

they are laughing their asses off in Atlanta right now

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:48 PM

They are still in second.

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

They are discussing selling on their board. Kind of like laughing

• micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:57 PM

I hope that is the case a week from now. Nats need Stras tomorrow, if he lays an egg, then problems magnify

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:07 PM

lol coop, well played.

29. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:47 PM

The whole more changed with McClouth’s nonsense. He and Hairston have been 100% waste

30. breakbad1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:47 PM

A loss is not a loss. Game 5 was not just a loss. Getting swept by the Braves at home last year was not three instances in a row of “Well, no problem, a loss is a loss.”

The players and coaches of Major League Baseball believe the Washington Nationals have no killer instinct. Tonight we proved it. That is more significant than one loss.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I think that’s an over-reaction. It could be what Matt Williams needed to see if this EVER happens again that he has to go quick hook.

31. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Matt Williams claiming Clippard was not available.

• stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Stammen hasn’t pitched since last Tuesday. He was the best choice, and could have continued into extras.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

That usually doesn’t happen that you don’t use a front-end guy.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Whoops, use a back-end guy. This is why you need a guy like Ziegler. Nats need another killer to add to Storen, Clip, and Soriano just for instances like this. I think Detwiler could do it also BTW.

Can’t count on Blevins, Stammen or Barrett in those critical appearances IMO.

• micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

MW never takes any blame and that is why I have lost respect for him

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM

He’s covering for his players. I think that is smart. He’s not blaming anyone. Soriano didn’t have it. It starts with him and then spread the blame to McLouth, Werth etc

32. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Why is MASN stalling showing MW? you know he will say That’s baseball.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM

MW talked a while ago. MASN always does it later in their post-game so you stay tuned in.

• NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Yes, they do. And Phil Wood does that on the radio, too. It’s very annoying, I’m usually on the Metro by the time they get around to playing the clip, that I KNOW they recorded a half-hour before.

33. Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Does this game change Rizzos decision making at the deadline? Probably increases his desire for a reliever.

34. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Werth challenging Stanton was “questionable” and then McLouth’s poor judgement in LF started the bad things.Espy on that IF screwup was odd. Harper seemed gun shy on Espy’s ground out. Storen seemed to be really on tonight, and leaving him in for the 9th would have been justifiable. Soriano just didn’t have it tonight. What bothered me even more about Rafael tonight is that it was a very unprofessional game all around. He didn’t cover third on two plays when he should have. It was Matt’s job to pull him long before he finally did. Jerry Blevins? We traded the wrong guy for the wrong guy. Never thought much of him.Matt got away with him on Yelich. Should have never left him in to pitch to the right handed batter.

Gotta put it behind and get em tomorrow.

• scmargenau - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:56 PM

+100 Great post Seam

35. Phil Karp - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I’m not sure which is worse. Soriano’s poor pitching or his total indifference to his job as a fielder. The replay of him standing on the mound with his hands on his hips, when he should have been backing up third base, says it all. He ought to be fined for that.

• micksback1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Sori has an attitude, his stupid untuck and everything else.

but, MW should have pulled him way way before 6-6

• scmargenau - Jul 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM

If untucking is cool for a saves what’s appropriate for a bad blown save?

#wedgy

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM

The indifference was pretty horrible. It was so bad I almost felt as though Sori never wanted to be out there and MW put him out there anyway.

• NatsLady - Jul 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Sori not covering (twice) makes me think he was not feeling well. He’s usually very professional about that stuff and a good fielder. He never shows anything, but what if his back was sore or something? Of course he knows it’s his job to get out there, even though last night with a four-run lead and tonight with a six-run lead he probably wasn’t planning on it.

36. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:52 PM

I’m outta here. WAY TOO MANY FOOLS POSTING.

• Danny - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Just one.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Only seen a few

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:11 PM

• scmargenau - Jul 29, 2014 at 12:02 AM

I think lady is referring to defenders in this case. I could be wrong.

37. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

We’ll in other news…. Jordan looked spectacular and Bryce looked pretty damn good too… He was very aggressive tonight…

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:05 PM

+1. I thought we were looking hitterish, as they say, all around, actually.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Bryce hit a couple of balls that could have been hrs in other parks tonight… He looked good… And Jordan came out especially strong after the dubious injury…

Just sucks the outcome….

38. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

If his pitches were up MW why did you let it continue.

Why was the contact play not on?

MW you miss called a lot of things tonight.

39. Nats fool - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

It seems the game goes too fast for MW. I just don’t think he is cut out to manage, but we’re stuck with him for a while. Does he prepare at all?

• David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:57 PM

People said the same thing about every manager. You should see what the Card fans say about Matheny. Or the Dodgers and Mattingly. Or the Braves and Fredi. Etc.

Mistakes happen–especially for a first year manager. All you can hope is that he learns from it.

40. coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Sigh… Overreaction theater take 45

41. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM

MASN waiting to hear from Soriano and Blevins.

• David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Soriano already spoke to the media. Mark tweeted some stuff out

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Hadn’t shown on my twitter til after Mason showed it. What did boffin’s say?

42. senators69 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Yes, MW needs to keep Sori on a shorter leash. Rest him now for X days and let Clip or Storen close if the opportunity comes up.

Hope JW is ok b/c we need to play McOut as little as possible.
    Walters needs to come through — this is his chance to make a real difference.

I’m not happy about Stras throwing tomorrow. He’s been our worse pitcher this year. If the playoffs started tomorrow, and we went to a four-man rotation, I’d sit Stras as a starter (or move him to the bullpen, if that is even possible). Sorry Stephen — gotta earn it!

Finally, I’d like to see Det more. I think his periodic issues arise from lack of action.

43. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:59 PM

If you feel fine why why all strikes hi. At least he feels bad for Zim.

Now I want to hear Blevins. He gave up the last hit, which was just as bad as anything Soriano did. He gets Baker we go extra innings. Seems Blevins didn’t get as much as blame as he should of.

• stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I think most of us feel he had no business facing Baker. Righties are hitting almost .400 against him this year, iirc.

• David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Blevins can’t get righties out. He hasn’t all year. It’s hard for me to blame him, he was put in a position to fail. Like I said, if MW wants to a lefty who can get both sides out, Rizzo needs to acquire one because Blevins ain’t it. He can’t do it. We’ve lost several games because of it. He got the lefty out, he did his job as far as I’m concerned. I blame Matt for the rest.

• donniebenth - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Agreed. I was pretty surprised that Blevins stayed in to face a righty. Might have dodged a bullet with Yelich given that he hits lefties better than righties… But gotta use Blevins as a loogy or mop up guy or don’t use him at all.

Still in first though. Chop this barves!!!!

44. Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Any word on Werth’s status?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Twisted ankle. He said he will see how he feels in the morning but didn’t think it was serious.

• David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Twisted his ankle, won’t know til tomorrow but expects to play

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Thanks. Willing to hold my breath on this one.

45. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:05 PM

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:10 PM

That’s the bigger story other than the loss, to me… Hopefully Sori will come out lights out his next outting and MW will FINALLY realize Blevins is a Loogy, and just that…

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:13 PM

46. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Nobody feels worse than Rafael Soriano tonight. But you know what? He’ll put it behind him,move on, and be ready the next time he’s called on. He’s a pro, has done great almost the entire year, and I’m still glad we have him on our team.
    Good night, and GYFNG!!!

• Eric - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:13 PM

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:21 PM

But… We can still say that Sori stunk up the joint tonight… Cuz he did and MW should have pulled him and MW should have not left Blevins in to face that righty…

I haven’t seen any rational person (granted, I skip over quiet a few names) say to cut him or anything of the sort.. Just people disappointed and pointing out that our closer sucked monkey balls tonight….

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Huh? Who said anything about anybody saying to cut him? And I am certainly not giving any excuses for Soriano’s performance tonight. He sucked.

47. stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Coming out of the All Star break I figured that the Nats need to win their home series and stay at or above .500 to get to 92 wins. Figured that a 5-4 road trip would be acceptable, although the opportunity to do better has been there for the taking. This one leaves a real stink in the nostrils, but a loss is a loss is a loss when you get to the end of the season.

48. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Every single team in baseball has one or two of these losses a year. We’ve been somewhat fortunate this is our first. They’ll bounce back as they have numerous times this season.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM

The Nats are now… What, 4-3 on the road trip? We just have to get them tomorrow…. I’m concerned though as SS doesn’t normally pitch well in Miami… But hopefully he will pitch a gem of a game…

• stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Hopefully, and if not there’s Roark behind him.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Nats have been on a bulla run with not losing series…. I hope they continue this run…

49. breakbad1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:21 PM

For Clippard to have been asked to pitch would’ve been beyond all limits to human endurance, as physiologists and historians understand human endurance.

It would be like meeting a man as he finished a marathon in world-record time, and asking him to run 10 more marathons that weekend.

It would be like asking the world’s oldest woman, 116-year old Zlaty Krosnysk of Zlinsk, Russia, to do 10,000 pull-ups in the freezing cold.

I understand Matt Williams not even considering asking Clip to get a couple of outs tonight. In fact, I applaud him, and weep doing so.

• stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:25 PM

This set off all my snark alarms.

I’d have been warming up Stammen, personally.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:30 PM

He should have left Storen out there… MW gets hung up with the roles, which I personally hate, but i digress…

• stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:42 PM

I am not a fan of the scripted roles approach to relief pitching, either. No flexibility when things go awry, or to take advantage of matchups.

• coop202 - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:47 PM

I responded to your earlier comment but assume it’ll get passed over. Span was gifted first on the bunt (he was in he base path which should be an out but can’t be challenged). Led to the whole lead to begin with – has to do with the entire game.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 29, 2014 at 5:34 AM

Please.. Make me understand what in the holy hell, our 6 run inning had to do with our manager sitting on his hands and not pulling an our ineffective closer who gave up 3 runs and the Loogy, who I guess he still hasn’t realized is a Loogy yet… Please coop202, explain that… As there I don’t see what it has to do at all…

Dude, if you can’t see that Mw’s managing lost this game for us, I don’t know what else to tell you… But since you don’t believe me, read other posts on this here thing and you will see the occurring theme that yeah, Mw’s managing lost it for us…

No one is turning their back on the team or it’s players but that was a devastating loss that should have never happened….It’s really that simple.

• coop202 - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I don’t see that and half the posts your referring to are nick or swm. The 6 run lead is a reference to luck in the game. Not pulling sori is a reference to a 34 yo vet who is having a career year and has shown a propensity to get out of his own head and innings this year. What you’re referencing above is overreaction theater after a tough loss and nothing more. Leaving in the loogie was a bad choice yes. Werth going for two was boarder line, not walking out and slowing down sori yes was a bad choice. But all evidence this season points to sori pulling that out

• coop202 - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:29 AM

And no one is bailing, but people are complaining about systematic problems that aren’t there with MW. Maybe complaints about the fact that the errors are seemingly unsystematic is more accurate

• coop202 - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Unrelated note – impressive that you’re commenting at 530 am. Early riser?

50. Nats fool - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Trying to see what MW brings to the table. He can’t manage a bullpen. His lineups are goofy. He preaches stupid running. He just doesn’t seem too bright. I also sense he is really in over his head. He can’t win games, but he has sure lost plenty.

• scmargenau - Jul 29, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Ouch. U may be right.

51. stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Who’d have thought that if we blew a six run lead to the Fish, Giancarlo Stanton would have no role in it?

52. breakbad1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:55 PM

It would be cool if this site had a multi-voting app. A place where all of us could take all this energy over this loss, and make our predictions on how this loss will affect the rest of the series with the Marlins.

I believe there are “back-breaker” games in sports. I also believe this was one of them.

It would be fun to capture, on some kind of app, everyone on NI’s predictions on how/if this game will impact the next two. Will we win the next two, lose the next two, or split the next two?

Some believe the outcome of tomorrow’s game is random. It is not influenced by the results of tonight’s game a bit. A loss is a loss.

I disagree.

• NatsLady - Jul 29, 2014 at 12:08 AM

I can do that. I can put a vote up on my game post. If I remember, I’ll do it and it will be up tomorrow morning. Absolutely all losses are not the same, or are all wins, e.g., the game we won when Zim went down. But a loss like this is no worse than a 10-0 blowout, or the 1-0 loss to Cueto. As was pointed out by another poster, we got a lot of “gift” runs, and all we did was give them back.

The old saying holds. You’re only as good as tomorrow’s pitcher. Tomorrow would be a great time for Stras to go 8 or 9 innings and throw a shutout. It also would have been a great time for Stras to go 8 or 9 innings after the 16-inning game in Milwaukee… And he didn’t, and we’re still in first place.

Tomorrow we’ll see how Stras pitches, whether Werth is up to playing, on whether Giancarlo blasts homers and a dozen other factors. Obviously, if you think tonight’s game means the season is lost, you won’t bother watching.

• scmargenau - Jul 29, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Polldaddy

53. manassasnatsfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I believe he made that mistake for sure. Reminded me of a DJ problem

54. stoatva - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:48 PM

You’re treading on thin ice when you go down that path, junior.

55. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Why? Gio didn’t “deserve” the loss any more than JZimm “deserved” the no-decision. The losses all count the same during the regular season. They don’t go by run-differential. Could have lost 10-0, would have counted exactly the same. If the team lets this loss hang over to tomorrow then they are not major-leaguers. That’s stupid thought and I stick by it.

56. David Proctor - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Plus, Matt is pretty clearly NOT fat. It’s a lazy insult

57. scmargenau - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Agree.

SWM needs a Xanax since he doesn’t drink. Or maybe some chamomile tea.

58. breakbad1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Well thought-out counterpoint; thank you.

59. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:10 PM

I mist have missed something…

60. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Yah, copy and past JohnC. What are you talking about?

61. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Don’t worry about it. Not worth re-posting, Mark took care of it.