A late rally, and then another late scare

Jul 30, 2014, 6:19 PM EST

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

MIAMI — There are days when a team can win a ballgame on the strengths of dominant starting pitching and a robust lineup that does some early damage. And then there are days when victory comes only via some late production in key spots and some key outs recorded by the back of the bullpen.

The Nationals have experienced more of those latter types of games recently than perhaps they’d like. They’re certainly not great for Matt Williams’ blood pressure. But they are necessary over the course of a season, and on Wednesday it took everything the Nats had in them to pull one off.

In beating the Marlins 4-3, the Nationals produced a 3-run rally in the top of the eighth, getting key production from Scott Hairston, Denard Span, Jayson Werth, Adam LaRoche and Ian Desmond. And then they watched as Drew Storen, filling in for overworked closer Rafael Soriano for the day, nearly gave all three runs back in the bottom of the ninth, only to escape with his first save of the year.

“Ugly,” said Storen when asked how he’d describe his inning of work. “But got it done, that’s really the main thing. It’s about winning the game and getting the save.”

Storen never would have had the opportunity to close this one out if not for an impressive rally by his teammates an inning earlier. With the game knotted 1-1 since the fourth, the Nationals finally took the lead back with a rally ignited by a seemingly forgotten man: Hairston.

Despite holding a spot on the active roster for all but a couple of weeks early when he strained an oblique muscle, Hairston came up to bat Wednesday with only 52 plate appearances for the season, only 34 since May 19. Challenged to keep his swing fresh despite such a lack of playing time, he delivered his biggest hit in a long time when he roped a liner to left-center to open the eighth, then took off for second and reached safely for a hustle double.

“I just wanted to do my best to have a good at-bat,” the veteran outfielder said. “I didn’t want to swing at anything out of the zone. Just try to stay within myself and not try to do too much. I hadn’t gotten an at-bat in a couple days. My timing has been on and off all year, but I just wanted to focus on middle of the field and I was able to get a pitch up I could handle.”

Trying to move Hairston to third base, Span was given the sign to put down a sacrifice bunt. Except the bunt was so well-executed, Span actually beat it out, giving the Nationals runners on the corners and no outs.

“We wanted to move the runner to third base and get one at least,” Williams said. “But he laid down a perfect one.”

Werth’s sacrifice fly to left was deep enough to score Nate McLouth (who pinch-ran for Hairston once he got to third) and give the Nationals the lead, but they weren’t done yet. LaRoche drew a walk, then joined Span in swiping second base when the Marlins essentially gave it to him. That put both runners in scoring position to score on Desmond’s RBI double.

“The way that whole inning unfolded was great,” Desmond said. “Denard getting the bunt down. You see it a million times: A guy putting the bunt down and jogging down to first. He busted it right out of the box. That was huge. Jayson had a great at-bat. Rochie getting into scoring position was great, too. It’s a tough time for some of us, but you’ve got to keep grinding and doing the small things. That’s what we were able to do today.”

Those stolen bases, especially LaRoche’s, proved huge by the end of the afternoon, because it gave Storen a 3-run cushion, and he needed every bit of it.

After blowing a 3-run lead in the ninth inning Monday night, Soriano was given the following day off to rest. But Williams decided to give his veteran closer another day off, recognizing his arm needed it after so much recent use.

“The amount of pitches he threw Monday, and certainly his workload before that, we decided to give him a couple of days,” Williams said. “Sori should be ready to go tomorrow. It all worked out the way we wanted it to work out.”

Well, it did work out, though not without some harrowing moments. Storen entered and immediately served up an opposite-field homer to Giancarlo Stanton. Two quick outs, though, put the Nationals on the verge of a comfortable victory. Except it still wasn’t over yet.

Marcell Ozuna placed a broken-bat grounder just deep enough into the hole at short for an infield single. Adeiny Hechavarria placed a soft liner just inside the bag at first base, turning it into an RBI double. Throw in a walk to Jarrod Saltalamacchia, and suddenly the Marlins had the tying run on second base, the winning run on first base.

“You’ve just got to start over every single pitch,” Storen said of the mental challenge in that situation. “Stuff is going to happen in the ninth inning. You can’t let it snowball. It’s not always going to be pretty, but it’s about just getting it done.”

Which he did. Storen got Reed Johnson to rap a grounder to third, and the Nationals escaped with a much-needed victory.

They head home after an eventful road trip, one that begin in Colorado with spirits soaring before Ryan Zimmeman suffered a significant hamstring injury, then concluded in Miami with an epic collapse one night, a tough loss the next and finally a hard-earned victory in the finale.

“We played well,” Desmond said. “We battled some stuff. We kind of endured. It was definitely a long road trip. We’re excited to get home and see our own fans.”

1. Joe Seamhead - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I love exciting baseball games!

How about Denard Span’s July [with one game to go]:

19 Runs Scored
    33 Hits
    16 BB’s
    7 SB’s
    .363 BA
    .458 OBP

• adcwonk - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Awesome! He’s a big part of the Nats record this month. I guess there’s a reason why he’s 2nd in the NL in WAR.

• Faraz Shaikh - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:43 PM

you meant for july. for a second, I thought you meant the season.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 31, 2014 at 7:13 AM

Faraz, I said, “how about Denard Span’s July”

2. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Not a great debut for Storen in the closer role.

• texnat1 - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:44 PM

He was probably just trying to make Soriano feel better about himself.

• knoxvillenat - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Looking back at the inning I’m probably most bothered by the walk as I hate seeing opposing batters get a free pass anytime but especially in the bottom of the ninth.

The home run to Stanton……somehow not surprising but an infield single and a soft double off the end of the bat? Maybe they were cheap hits (didn’t see the game, listened to Charlie and Dave) maybe they weren’t.

• adcwonk - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I hate walks, too.

But I think we need to give credit — and a lot of it — to the coaches, etc., who have been telling Nats’ pitchers to go after batters. One of my favorite stats is this:

Nats pitchers have issued fewer walks than any other team in MLB

I love it when that happens ;-)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:24 PM

He got BABIP’d for sure on the single and double.

• rayvil01 - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I have to be honest: I was listening on the radio on the way home from work. When Storen came in I thought that indicated Rizzo had traded Soriano. (I have no clue to which team.) I was like, “Good. Storen is lights out. He can close.” By the end of the inning I was like, “Gee I hope we don’t get breaking news from MW’s presser that Soriano was traded.” LOL.

Storen’s stuff is too good to struggle like that just because it’s the ninth inning. Other than Stanton, he wasn’t hit that hard. But, still, if it were the 7th inning would he have struggled?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:06 PM

It’s a mindset. Sometimes in the set-up role you face the heart of the order and that becomes the “save” but there’s nothing like a “close” on the road where you don’t get “last licks”.

• secretwasianman - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I’m sure visions of game 5 and of not wanting to blow two in 3 days played a part.

• rayvil01 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I think you’re 100% correct. Something about being in that last slot takes away confidence for him. Scars from Game 5 maybe. I coach golfers these days. Confidence is not everything…but, it’s very close to being everything.

• secretwasianman - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:07 PM

At least now we don’t have the standard DC Qb/closer controversy

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Jurgensen/Kilmer lasted a long time.

Storen has been a good set-up man. I thought in early April that Barrett could develop into a closer and Treinen throwing 98+ has that heat to be a closer, but do any of them have the mindset? Well, Barrett can be marked off the list.

3. scnatsfan - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Hey I will take a win any way we can get it

4. David Proctor - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Not every win is pretty. I’d rather win ugly than lose, period. This game counts just as much we blew on Monday.

Let’s go Dodgers.

• Faraz Shaikh - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Amen!!!

Hope Greinke is on his best game.

5. Eric - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:06 PM

To anyone who had eyes on the game, how’d Werth look running today?

• letswin3 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:09 PM

He gave a really good effort to first base at what looked to be full throttle … looked good …no sign of grimacing or pain.

• rayvil01 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I did not see it. But, JWagner or Kilgore tweeted that he was very slow back to the dugout and that the ankle must be barking loudly.

• Eric - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Thanks to you both.

How he doesn’t injure it worse playing on it.

6. letswin3 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I had an interesting thought….what if the reason that MW has played Walters only one day since calling him up is that someone else want’s him by 4;00 tomorrow? You know, one of those “if this happens, and that happens” kind of things, and MW and Rizz didn’t know he would be involved in a deal until he was already here. And another thing … has an entire bench ever been traded as a group?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:44 PM

I don’t think so. I really think it’s about the defense. Of the 3 fill-in 2nd baseman, none of them are really offensive juggernauts, but Espinosa is far and away the better defensive player.

7. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:24 PM

All Nats starters are within the Top 60 of MLB starters. Top 30 are your #1’s and the next 30 are your #2’s.

In MLB rankings, Fister #16 and Roark #19 and JZim #36 and Stras #54 and Gio #55

Interestly, Henderson Alvarez is #9. Jon Lester is #11 and Cole Hamels is #12

I hope Lester stays in the American League. It would be bad if he goes to any NL team.

• rayvil01 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Fascinating stuff. If you take those positions as ordinals, say as they would score a cross-country race with 1 ordinal for 1st, 2 for 2nd, etc and the low score winning, the Nats would score 180, the Dodgers at 182 (with Haren at 104 dragging them down dramatically) and the Braves getting only 4 on the books. So if you give them 125 for the one off the books you get them at 365. And Harang is having an out-of-body year.

Really cool stuff. Shows how good the starters really are. Did that math quickly. Sorry if I made any errors.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:15 PM

You are most excellent. I like that! Great way to look at it. Unfortunately for the postseason it’s only 4 starters and the Dodgers have Kershaw.

8. dcwx61 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:31 PM

from mlb trade rumors

If Washington looks to make an addition, it would look to a market with relatively few everyday regulars seemingly available. Among potentially available third basemen, Adrian Beltre of the Rangers is the clear prize — if he’s put up for sale. The Nats were reportedly “rebuffed” in an earlier inquiry, but Texas is said to have had eyes on Triple-A Syracuse last weekend. The second base market does not contain many names that appear to be likely fits, though Aaron Hill of the Diamondbacks could be a possibility. His Arizona teammate, Martin Prado, has spent time at both positions and has been mentioned as a possible fit.

9. EllieEspinosa - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:44 PM

HAMMER !

10. #4 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:52 PM

After establishing that you have the requisite stuff, unflappability is the next most important attribute for a closer. Your team needs to know that you can execute your pitches even after something bad has happened. It’s why Soriano is effective. It’s why the Chief was effective when he was healthy. Sure they blow/blew some games, but they weren’t going to have prolonged stretches where they blow 3 or 4 in a two week stretch. As long as he’s healthy, Soriano is not going to implode. It’s why I love his demeanor – the non-chalant stroll-in from the pen, the Domincan rap song about himself, the untuck. I know some don’t like all that, but really it’s the key to his success. For the Chief it was the low hat brim and working really quickly – almost so that he didn’t have to think about it. It’s how many good closers have dealt with the pressure.

I’m not sure Drew is there yet.

11. breakbad1 - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Well, I was worried that the bone-crushing loss in game one in Miami would carry forward. This was an extremely shaky win–possibly even evidence that the first game really did rattle the Nats–but they prevailed and I am glad for that.

Now if we will only trade Soriano before the deadline I will be content.

• David Proctor - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:31 PM

“Now if we will only trade Soriano before the deadline I will be content.”

Because Storen looked fantastic?

• ratiocinational - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Storen did have 43 saves in 2011. I’m not sure we should dismiss his ability to save based on one bad outing tonight and the (understandably) ineradicable spectre of the last game of 2012.

• David Proctor - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Soriano had 43 last year. And has a sub-2 ERA this year. I’m not saying Drew can’t do it, but why replace Soriano

• emptee - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Long time lurker, rare poster, but wtf is with you Soriano haters? Are you so blinded by your unappreciation of his ‘style’ that you cannot recognize him as a rare, desirable closer? Cause why? He makes you nervous? What kind of moronic, unthinking nellies are you?

Crazy talk. Stupid crazy talk.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 31, 2014 at 7:23 AM

I like winning exciting baseball games. Soriano gives us exciting games and we come out on top in the vast majority of them, so therefore I like Soriano.

• adcwonk - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:17 AM

It’s crazy stupid talk for another reason, too:

Soriano, Clip, and Storen are almost overworked. Each has pitched in 40+ games already. How do you replace that? And, even if you can find another guy who can pitch in that many game with sub 2.00 ERA — you haven’t helped anything, because you’re only replaced it and they’re still going to be overworked.

Getting *another* guy in the ‘pen might help. But trading away a workhorse is really “crazy stupid” as you say.

12. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Dan Uggla is available.

• stoatva - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I’ll bet.

• nats128 - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:53 PM

That didnt take long.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:04 PM

“Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
      uggla finishes giants career going 0 for 11 with 6 K’s and 3 E’s, matching his performance in the 2008 all-star game”

• stoatva - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM

That’ll leave a mark.

13. sjm308 - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Do some of these posters just think closers grow on trees?
    Our guy is at the minimum in the top 5 in the league – not sure why he gets such bad thoughts on here but its silly
    Closing is not something everyone can do
    Those looking to get rid of Soriano, take a long look at the stats of the others in the National League (including Kimbell)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Yes they do. I backed Rizzo on bringing in a new closer because of the mindset and worried about Storen. Storen once again showed that maybe he just needs to be a top setup man.

• Section 222 - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:11 AM

I can’t believe you’re going to reach that conclusion based on this one game. That’s even worse than deciding Walters can’t hit or field based on one start. Talk about living or dying on every pitch.

I think Storen has shown this year that he has the stuff to be our closer again in the future. He needs to get more ice water in his veins. That will come. I’m thankful we have Sori for this year though.

14. Section 222 - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Glad that Storen could get it done today, but if he ever again becomes our closer, he may put the infield and the fans to sleep. I just watched the replay of the last inning. In the last AB against Johnson he took the following times in between pitches: 33 seconds, 28, 33, 35, 35 until he stepped off the rubber, then another 27. zzzzzzzz. I thought that speeding things up was one of the things he had fixed.

• RPrecupjr - Jul 31, 2014 at 10:17 AM

That explains why I thought GameDay was frozen during the ninth yesterday :)

15. David Proctor - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Matt Kemp is on fire

16. Danny - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Morosi says the Nats inquired on Azdrubal Cabrera.

17. David Proctor - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4m
    #Nationals need IFer with Zimmerman out. Have discussed A. Cabrera, D. Murphy internally, but no deal close, sources tell me and @jonmorosi.

18. Section 222 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Daniel Murphy. Oh yeah!

• David Proctor - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Defensive liability, but his bat would be very nice to have. I wonder if the Mets would trade in division

• Danny - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Doubtful they love him I think. They think they can compete next hear

• Section 222 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Doubtful, but we can dream for another day. Utley, Murphy, Beltre. All would be great additions to the lineup. Sure sounds like Zim is done for the year.

• Section 222 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Except for Bartolo, I doubt the Mets are sellers. They’ll have a stacked rotation in a few years. Murphy is part of that plan for them.

19. Danny - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Cards are getting schooled by the Pads.

• Danny - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Why can’t we beat them :)

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Padres have worse hitters in the league, it makes no sense.

20. manassasnatsfan - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Juan Urine has a terrible swing, but is batting over .300. Go figure. His swing worse than Espi left handed, but he does make much more contact. If Espi would make constant contact.

• Section 222 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:41 PM

If pigs could fly. Nothing’s gonna change there.

It’s Uribe by the way.

• David Proctor - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:45 PM

I’m sure he appreciates being called urine though

• Eric - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Lmao! That’s funny right there

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Auto correct does some great things

21. Danny - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Puig and Gonzo just blew a golden opportunity.

22. scmargenau - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:56 PM

No trade updates? Braves tied at 1 in sixth

• Danny - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Pretty lax trade deadline so far. Hopefully tomorrow is active.

23. David Proctor - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Knowing Rizzo, if he makes a move, we won’t know about it until 3:59 tomorrow.

• Danny - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:00 AM

His moves always seem to come without prior rumors.

24. scmargenau - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:49 AM

La just scored 2-1 now

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Kemp scores from second on an infield single.

• scmargenau - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Bases loadd now…2 outs bottom 8

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Ethier swings at bad pitches to end the rally.

25. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:50 AM

uribe second hit knocks in run 2. Bottom of the 8th

26. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Uribe haunts the Braves again

27. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Ether does his Espi imitation. Swings at 2 balls to k, with the bases loaded 2 outs.

• scmargenau - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:54 AM

3 more outs baby

28. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Come on Janson

29. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Fight about broke out in San Diego.

30. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Oh boy

31. stoatva - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Oh poop.

32. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Jansen throws a homer to j Upton. Why anyone throws him a strike is beyond me. Jansen throws a curve, which he rarely does. Just throw it high and fast and he will swing and miss

33. Danny - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Why would the closer with the filthy cutter hang a slider…

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:02 AM

I thought it was a slider, but they are saying it was a curve. Whatever it was hung. He would chase eventually so no strine was needed

34. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Upton had no shot against Jansen’s fastball/cutter, but Jansen goes to the slider and it’s crushed.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Not sure why he then a hanger . It made absolutely no sence. Of course Ethier not getting the bonus runs in comes back to haunt.

35. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Dodgers need a new closer according to our thread as I believe his 5th blown save

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Double checked his 4th blown save . Now 31 for 35.

36. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Come on Gonzalez

37. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Would wassin want to trade Jansen?

38. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Adrienne Gonzalez thrown out by 25 feet on a double play. Unless he is hurt, that is pretty poor effort.

39. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:15 AM

J.P. Howell in.

40. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Lead off walk. One of my pet peeves for a relief pitcher.

41. stoatva - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Howell picking up where he left off last night.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:21 AM

He bailed himself out.

42. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Pick off.

43. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:20 AM

WOOOOOOOW. That can’t happen. But I’ll take it

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:22 AM

You bet

44. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Howell why do you insist on walking people?

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Bj Upton will swing at everything close, you have to be real wild to walk him.

45. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Another walk…

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Walking bj is almost impossible

46. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:27 AM

LaStella bails Howell out.

47. stoatva - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Wonder how BJ got all those ball marks on his bat. Did someone borrow it?

48. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Turner is a nice bench piece. Wish we had him

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:40 AM

49. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Justin Turner going into that at bat was batting .386, now close to .400.

One of our complaints with Rizzo we never have a guy like that, he always gets older guys, he needs 27-29 year holds who can hit.

50. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:35 AM

29-27 year olds. I wish I could turn off my auto correct. It is much worse than my typing.

51. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Kemppppppppppppp

52. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Dodgers win! And the Braves get to deal with Kershaw tomorrow.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:38 AM

Hope Cliff Lee doesn’t have it yet.

Will we get a real hitter to add tomorrow? I doubt it

53. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Wild pitch a killer

54. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Go Kershaw

55. scmargenau - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Wow. That was a good thread to catch up on braves game! I was almost scared to scroll.