Nats acquire infielder Cabrera for Walters

Jul 31, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

[Updated 6:30 p.m.]

The Nationals’ sudden need for infield help prompted general manager Mike Rizzo to make a rare deal for a 2-month rental player on Thursday: Asdrubal Cabrera, who was acquired from the Indians for Zach Walters less than an hour before the 2014 non-waiver trade deadline.

Cabrera, 28, is a natural shortstop who was a two-time All-Star in 2011 and 2012, but he has experience playing second base, where he’ll most likely fit in with the Nationals. He has appeared at second in 162 career games, though not since 2009.

A switch-hitter, Cabrera owns a career .264 batting average and .737 OPS against right-handers, a significant offensive upgrade over Danny Espinosa, who has a career .215 batting average and .650 OPS against right-handers.

Rizzo cited Cabrera’s versatility as a large reason for making the deal.

“He’s a terrific two-way player. He’s a great defensive middle infielder who has been a terrific shortstop defensively,” he said.

“He played second base earlier in his career and played that outstanding. He’s a very balanced hitter from both sides of the plate, really just a big league hitter. We did a lot of work on his makeup and character before he gets into our clubhouse and I’ve heard nothing but positive things about him.”

Rizzo lauded Cabrera’s defense, though the 28-year-old does leave the Indians with the second-most errors in the American league with 14, most among AL shortstops. At second base he has been much better defensively with five errors in those 162 career games and a .994 fielding percentage.

Cabrera is owed roughly $3 million over the rest of the season, then becomes a free agent this winter, so he’s strictly a short-term rental player, something Rizzo has been reluctant to acquire in the past. The Indians, per terms of the deal, actually will pick up the rest of his contract.

But Ryan Zimmerman’s significant hamstring injury, suffered nine days ago, left the Nationals in need of some short-term infield help. Rizzo confirmed the impact of Zimmerman’s injury on making the deal before Thursday’s game against the Phillies.

“That factored into it. With a healthy Zim and a healthy eight players that we had, we certainly wouldn’t have found the need to go out and acquire a player as skillful as Cabrera,” he said.

“Like we’ve always said, we like the team that we have and when Zim went down, in order to protect ourselves we felt like we should go out and get ourselves a good veteran person to fit into the lineup.”

Williams echoed that sentiment:

“It’s important for us to get a guy like that if we can get a guy like that right now. We don’t know the extent to which Zim will be out, what kind of timeframe we are looking at.”

With Anthony Rendon now taking over at third base until Zimmerman returns (perhaps not until September), the Nats were left with Espinosa as their everyday second baseman. Now manager Matt Williams can go with Cabrera as his regular.

“It depends on the situation, but yeah,” Williams said. “He’s an everyday player. He is a guy that’s been in pennant races, he understands that. He understands the pressures of this time of year and getting to where you want to go. He will be a welcome addition for us and we’ll plug him right in as soon as we can get him here.”

Rizzo and Williams said Cabrera will play primarily at second base, but could give Ian Desmond days off at shortstop. The Nats general manager also mentioned the veteran’s playoff experience.

“I like that he’s battle tested, he’s been in the playoffs before, he’s been in pennant races,” Rizzo said.

Walters was well-liked in the Nationals’ organization and put up big power numbers at Class AAA Syracuse. But the 24-year-old infielder did little in his limited time in the big leagues, hitting .234 with three homers and 16 strikeouts in 43 plate appearances.

Walters was acquired in a 2011 deadline deal involving starter Jason Marquis, who went to the Diamondbacks. Now, three years and one day later, Walters has been swapped for a potentially valuable piece for the Nats as they get set for a tight pennant race.

Rizzo noted that turnaround in his comments on Walters.

“One thing that we have shown here is that there is no small trade. All trades are important to us. They can be characterized at the time you make them as a small deal, but sometimes the small deals turn into gold.”

The Nationals will still be able to add more pieces if they so choose, as the waiver trade deadline is not until Aug. 31. In 2012 they acquired catcher Kurt Suzuki in August and last year they brought in outfielder David DeJesus.

Rizzo did not rule out making another deal before the season is out.

“We’re still going to keep our eyes open and our options open. Whatever deal makes sense, we’re not afraid to make one.”

1. nats2005 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Too rich for my blood.

• Danny - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM

How is Walters rich? He is a borderline non prospect. As a plus we don’t have to see Espinosa strike out twice a game against RHP.

• therealjohnc - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Heh. Don’t you know that anything Rizzo or Williams do will provoke howls of outrage/criticism? It’s part of the job description, really.

2. lphboston - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Like the trade.

Espi just couldn’t condense his swing enough. The other night when he struck out with the bases loaded and nobody out sealed the deal.

• TimDz - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:30 PM

boston……

I believe you are right…If Danny hits a fly ball…or even a double play ball that scores a run, Rizzo may not make this move (maybe he does….maybe he doesn’t).
      I think swinging at that first pitch in the dirt (was he not even WATCHING what the pitcher was doing in the prior at bats?), screamed to Rizzo that he needed to make a move…

3. natsjackinfl - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM

This is pretty much a steal. Zach is a great kid but his glove just doesn’t play at the ML level.

• jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Cleveland has mega prospect Francisco Lindor on the way so Cabrera was superfluous. He had 2 excellent years in 11 and 12. and is doing reasonably well this year. His defensive numbers aren’t good but he won’t be playing short stop for us so that might be ok.

• laddieblahblah - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I agree. Not a big deal, but a big hole filled at a very low cost. Rizzo gave up practically nothing to get a 2-time All-Star rental who is still only 28, and he still has his late game defensive replacement should Matt want to do a late game pitching switch.

Maybe they sign him in the off-season, maybe not. Gives Rizzo options, which is where Mike likes to be. It will be a relief to see someone other than Danny coming to bat against RH pitchers.

4. ptindc - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Seems like a prudent move. Although, I would have liked to have seen Walters for an extended period starting at 2nd over the last week or so to determine what we might have in him. The ball seems to jump off his bat.

• therealjohnc - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:10 PM

When he hits the ball, it jumps. As noted by Eno Sarris over at Fangraphs (in a link I think NatsLady posted in another thread) the bust rate on prospects Walters’s age with his K/BB at AAA is about 88%. Yikes.

5. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I thought the Nats don’t do rentals? Cabrera is a FA after the season. You all know how I felt about Walters but Asdrubal Cabrera was #6 on the list of identifed infielders.

• jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Not a sexy pick up but definitely plugs a hole in the lineup somewhat and this team is good enough to win the division as it stands so no need to trade away from a very short list of real prospects unless you can get a real difference maker.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Read his RISP stats I posted below. He hits well with nobody on base.

6. tcostant - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I would have like Walters to start vs. RHP for the week and see what he could do. But Cabrera will help, he gets big hits, and should fit right in the way he strikes out too. Since I’m all about, anybody but Espi – so I like the move.

• unterp - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:31 PM

honestly, I’m not sure about “fit right in the way he strikes out too” comment, does he strike out much or little?

• tcostant - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:34 PM

He strikes out a lot, like a lot of guys on this team. Lets just say he doesn’t choke up on the bat with two strikes on him. But he gets clutch hits too.

• tcostant - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:33 PM

BTW – if Cabrera plays well and likes it here (how coud he not), don’t rule out him being re-signed and ALR leaving, Zimm to 1b and Rendon to 3B in 2015.

7. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I would like more, but for the cost we did well.

8. Doc - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Sorry to see Walters go; still think that he will develop into a MLB talent.

Probably should have traded Espi!

• natsjackinfl - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Espinosa’s glove will always be a plus.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Why would the Indians want him?

• stoatva - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Could become extremely valuable as switch hitting DH, an option we don’t have, obviously.

I admit to being a Zach fanboy after seeing him crush a couple of HRs in spring training last year. They went boom.

9. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Unlike a lot of pick ups he isn’t over the hill at 28 years old.

• jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:34 PM

doesn’t matter. He’s gone at the end of the year.

• Doc - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Cleveland ultimately wins this one!

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Correct but he should not wear out by the end of the year.

10. natsjackinfl - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I think there’s another shoe to drop by 4 PM.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:38 PM

How about Ziegler from Arizona?

• jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I don’t know about a shoe. Could be a slipper though.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I hope you’re right Jack but I think it’s a waiver trade to come.

• janebeard - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I hope so…

• janebeard - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I meant this to show up for the comment about something in August, someone clearing waivers. Since obviously 4 is come and gone

11. RPrecupjr - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I’m ok with this at the moment….and possibly beyond. Do you think Rizzo might try to sign him to an extension and keep him as our 2b, with Zim taking over 1b and Rendon the everyday 3b next season? I realize he hasn’t played 2b since 2008 and may resist a permanent position change, but if he plays out the season (and post, knock on wood) at 2b, maybe he’ll be more willing if he’s with a contender and not the Indians.

• jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:38 PM

could happen.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:38 PM

12. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Here’s his splits batting lefty .245/.316/.379/.695 which makes him a decent platoon with Espi.

The bad news he’s awful with RISP .188/.268/.313/.580

This is a trade where you get a mild uptick but this is way down the list to me on good trades.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I heard Mets wanted to much for Murphy.

• jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:43 PM

That idea is dead now with the Cabrera acquisition.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Too much? They wanted 3 prospects. Not worth it. All bat and no glove. Straight up for Souza was about the most I would have done + Cutter Dykstra.

• Danny - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Unless Walters becomes a productive major leaguer, which I doubt there is not really much to lose.

• Doc - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Correctomundo, Ghost.

Way down, GhostMeister!!!!

• laddieblahblah - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:38 PM

“The bad news he’s awful with RISP .188/.268/.313/.580″

The good news is he strikes out half as much as Espinosa. He has 40 RBIs this season. Can’t tell how many were on sac flies or ground-outs, but he is likely to be more productive than Danny with RISP because he puts the ball in play.

The strike outs for Danny and Desi have really been the most non-productive outs with RISP for the Nats, all season long. There should be a marked improvement from Cabrera, there.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I like that positive spin! This is an upgrade, just not a huge one.

Still time in waiver claims to get the guy we really want.

13. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Off subject sort of….

As long as Zimmerman is on 40 man roster he could play in the playoffs if healthy. He doesn’t have to be on the 25 man roster September 1. Just 40 man. Correct?

14. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Indians are picking up Cabrera’s entire contract…

• jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:42 PM

There you go. Now I consider this a very good trade.

15. jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Ghost,

Are these numbers for this year or career numbers because I think that the career numbers are much better.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Career numbers are much better. I used this year.

16. thomaswell - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:43 PM

why did the indians what zach?

• masterfishkeeper - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Maybe the Indians follow Jose Canseco’s advice?

• snerdblurter - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Hah – I’d forgotten about that one. Maybe he’s a consultant.

17. thomaswell - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:44 PM

will he be ready for tonight’s game?

• jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I doubt it but since Philly is starting a lefty Espinosa can play.

• Eric - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Wasn’t it Espi of all people who kills Lee? Am I remembering that correctly?

• bowdenball - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Espi kills plenty of lefties, not just Lee.

• RPrecupjr - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I don’t think it matters. Espinosa is 8 for 22 (.364) with a double and 3 HRs against Cliff Lee, so I think he’s starting tonight. Cabrera might be there in time to be available to pinch-hit or run.

18. coop202 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Think we would’ve made a move regardless with zim out Til September. Any chance he can play third too? If he’s been at short since 09 seems like second isn’t exactly a natur return for him

19. Doc - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Mark reports that the Tribe really likes Walters.

So they should!

20. TimDz - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:49 PM

The Indians are paying the entirety of the $3.33MM remaining on Cabrera’s deal, tweets MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian, who says that Cleveland is very high on walters.

A free rental….at least in terms of money…

21. letswin3 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I said yesterday that it was possible that Walters played only that first day after coming back up because he was someone’s target for a trade before 4:00 today. I still thought he deserved an everyday trial for the week leading up to the trade deadline … the guy hits, and he hits for power. I’ll be watching Zacks development, and just hope that we didn’t get our pocket picked.

22. kirbs3256 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Holy crap. Apparently Cole is paying his whole 3.3 mil remaining…..they are really high on Walters.

• kirbs3256 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Cleveland.

23. BombsOverNatsTown - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Yep, Cabrera is up at the end of the year. But the get him for “free” and talks with Desi on an extension are at an impasse. No problem here bringing in a two time all-star at the position to light a fire under those talks.

24. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Sounds like David Price is going to the Tigers.

• Faraz Shaikh - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:18 PM

man, that rotation is insane.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Tigers get the edge in my opinion over the As in the American League.

• Faraz Shaikh - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I am shocked Beane traded cespedes away. I thought he was very important part of that offense.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Had to give up something special to rent Lester. On the flip side, Cespedes is a Free Agent after next year.

Boston most likely QO’s Cespedes and will get a nice Draft Pick for him.

Good move by both teams. A’s probably aren’t done. They have Hammel they could potentially trade.

25. thomaswell - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:55 PM

chances that we keep him in 2015?

26. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:56 PM

If the Phoolies didn’t make a deal, they are nuts. How do you not trade a guy like Marlon Byrd or AJ Burnett?

• masterfishkeeper - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:57 PM

They are nuts. No question. Maybe it’s not just Amaro, but ownership.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I totally agree. I guess they will see what happens on the waiver wire.

• knoxvillenat - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Or Papelbon?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Yep. And every day they wait the value for these players drop.

Utley is worth less in the off-season. STUPID!!!!!

• masterfishkeeper - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Or Bastardo. Or even Revere . . . We could go on for a while.

27. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Austin Jackson in that Tigers trade.

28. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Verlander moves to #4 or #5 in the Tigers rotation with the acquisition of David Price.

29. TimDz - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Price to the Tigers in a three team trade….Guess DD had to match moves by BB…..

30. sjm308 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Walters might develop but it was pretty certain he wasn’t going to develop here.

For this season, I really like this trade since MW was not playing Walters much at all.

Was hoping we would get Miller from the Red Sox and I think Baltimore did a nice job with that pickup

I can’t remember following or being this excited about a trade deadline. I was on a bike ride down to G’Town and actually stopped to check on what had gone on. Nothing as I made the turn back to Bethesda but when I got to the car things had really started moving. As I get home, I hear about the Price deal. Pretty fun stuff and while we are not making headlines with what we did, so far Rizzo has given up very little to get a former All-star to help us the last few months of this season.

Go Nats!!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Agreed. He had ZERO future in Washington DC. Like I said, he became family friends with Matt William’s family but that chip got him only 1 start and his defense in that game was suspect.

• stoatva - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I hope he has a successful career, he seems like a good kid. He’s definitely got pop if he can put things together.

• letswin3 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I certainly don’t disagree that we needed help in Zim’s absence. I’m just questioning passing on a guy we developed into a 29 dinger AAA guy who hit 300 last year and this year there.

• janebeard - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I was GLUED to the clock the years I was worried about losing Alfonso Soriano and Adam Dunn..,way before I wised up that Twitter would tell all and fast. This year, I paid less attention. I guess I worry more about who we lose than who we get. Backwards, I know. I did want Danny Murphy though.

• natsfan1a - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Well, then I’m backwards, too, because I’m exactly the same way.

“I was GLUED to the clock the years I was worried about losing Alfonso Soriano and Adam Dunn..,way before I wised up that Twitter would tell all and fast. This year, I paid less attention. I guess I worry more about who we lose than who we get. Backwards, I know.”

31. nats2005 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Cabrera’s defensive numbers are “offensive” according to Fangraphs.

I just wish we would have given Walters a better look. His numbers down in AAA warranted more PT.

Hope he gets it in Cleveland.

32. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I’m shocked how little the Rays got for David Price. Just Nick Franklin and John Smyly. They would have received more from the Dodgers.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:05 PM

That would be like Span and Trainan for Price to me?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Worse than that. Nick Franklin in 17 games this season .128 /.192/.170/.363

This makes ZERO sense in a trade. Smyly is a good pitcher but not great.

• Danny - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Rumor is Seattle top prospect Walker is also going to TB

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Not true from what I heard. You would have thought.

• Danny - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Nvm walker isn’t involved. There has to be another piece going to TB though.

• jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM

That would then make sense.

33. Nats fool - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Conservative trade. But it was a seller’s market. Should have made a splash at second in the offseason. Had Prado and Beltre as game-changers. We can’t win the WS with what we have. This won’t change that.

• David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Cabrera’s been fairly comparable to Prado the last two years.

Prado’s a better defender tho

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:10 PM

You think Prado is a better 2nd baseman over Cabrera? Are you sure you aren’t looking at Miguel Cabrera’s stats?

• Danny - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:09 PM

No team in the NL really made a tremendous improvement at the deadline. I’ll take our marginal upgrade. No more Espy flailing away against RHP !

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Danny, that’s the upside but .188 BA with RISP doesn’t excite me.

• Danny - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Hopefully those RISP numbers can improve in DC. They can be flukey. Just look at the Cards from last year to this.

• masterfishkeeper - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Right. He’s got a .271 career BA with RISP. I wouldn’t sweat it.

• therealjohnc - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Ghost, you’re just hunting things to be concerned about. You conceded earlier that his career numbers with RISP are much better – why would you think the 96 at bats this season are more predictive of future performance than his .745 OPS with RISP for his career?

• adcwonk - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:18 PM

We can’t win the WS with what we have.

Phaw — anyone in the playoffs can win — it’s a crap shoot.

therealjohnc – Jul 31, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Remember in 2011 when the Phillies added Roy Oswalt to Halladay/Lee/Hamels to create the “Four Aces” rotation? They won 103 games – and got bounced in the NLDS. Didn’t even make it to the NLCS.

The 2001 Seattle Mariners won 116 games … and lost in the ALCS.

34. nats128 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Yankees got Martin Prado.

• janebeard - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I’m glad he’s in the AL. Martin Prado is a Nats killer.

35. nats128 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I like this trade. Nats needed a 2nd baseman who could hit RHP. Bonus is that Assdrubal is a switch hitter. They dont give up much (Walters).

36. nats128 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Tampa Bay lost there minds. They gave David Price away for nuttin.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:18 PM

• jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I would hold the criticism until I know the full details. If Tampa got Tajuan Walker in the deal they did ok.

• nats128 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:56 PM

They didnt. Nick Franklin did nothing in 2013 even tho he was 22. This year he was called up for 17 games and hit .188

Smyly is good but not great. Then they get a A ball guy.

• therealjohnc - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Stats over 17 games really means … not much at all.

37. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Cosart to the Marlins. Say it ain’t so.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I’m a big fan of Cosart. He’s inconsistent. I wonder who they traded for him.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Maybe Yelish.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:18 PM

David Justice confirming.

• David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM

clarkspencer ‏@clarkspencer 1m
      Source: #Marlins are sending Collin Moran and Jake Marisnick and a comp pick to Astros according to source.

Wow, that’s a lot to give up. Moran was a big-time prospect.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I think Cosart has #2 stuff. I think Marlins just made a trade that could get them a legit shot at the Wild Card.

I said before the season Nats #1 Marlins #2 Barves #3. Now that was with Jose Fernandez but Cosart upgrades them and could develop.

• David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Cosart is too wild, IMO. He has the stuff, but until he stops walking guys, he’ll have issues. He makes Gio look like Cliff Lee.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:27 PM

He’s inconsistent for sure. He needs some mechanical tweaks but he has big upside.

I think Houston gave up too soon on him.

38. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Teams traded offense for pitchers. We have the starters, so teams want to be more like the Nats.

39. philipd763 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I’d rather have Prado at second base even knowing he’s more expensive.

40. jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Cosart to the Marlins

41. nats2005 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Cabrerra also turns 29 on 8/8, so he’s no youngster if you are planning on resigning him.

And since 2009, his Avg has been going the wrong way:

’09 .308
    ’10 .276
    ’11 .273
    ’12 .270
    ’13 .242

• David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:22 PM

We gave up nothing to get him. We don’t need him long-term. Guys with power, bad defense and strikeouts grow on trees. Walters was never a long-term solution here.

42. zmunchkin - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Cabrera has pretty much the same numbers vs. lefties and righties. But against lefties, Danny is much better:

Cabrera: .248 .284 .400 .684
    Danny: .295 .375 .474 .849

These are 2014 splits.

Given Danny’s glove, I think you will see Cabrera against RHP and Danny against LHP.

43. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Is there a place for the public to watch the waiver wire?

44. jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:22 PM

From Dan Szymborsky:

‘I’m still amazed that Fredi Gonzalez wakes up everyday and thinks “You know who should get the most at bats? B.J. Upton!’

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Well said.

45. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:24 PM

James Russell to the Barves

46. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:25 PM

James Russell to the Braves. Not an impact, we do OK against him.

47. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Gordon Wittenmyer ‏@GDubCub 1m
    Source: Russell and Bonifacio to Atlanta.

48. jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Bonifacio to the Braves.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:27 PM

That will help him. He hits Nats usually.

49. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:26 PM

We need a lefty from waiver wire in August.

50. David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 37s
    Williams called Cabrera “an everyday player.” Said it could be flexible where he hits. Likes option of a switch-hitter 2nd and Rendon at 5.

If he moves Rendon from the 2 hole, I swear…

• masterfishkeeper - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Agreed. Why do managers think that light hitting SS, 2B, and CFs belong at the top of the lineup?

• jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:56 PM

He did hit 25 HR’s in 2011.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:29 PM

51. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Bonifacio to Atlanta. He drives the Nats crazy.

• masterfishkeeper - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Maybe pitchers who used to be on the Nats, but his OPS against the current staff is .534.

And the currents Nats have an OPS of 1.109 against Russell.

So I’m happy with the Braves’ moves.

52. Section 222 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Franklin has only played 17 games in the majors so far. He slashed .294/.392/.455 in AAA in 75 game this year. He’s just 23. Tampa Bay must really like him and Smyly is a decent young lefty. He was the reason DD was willing to part with Fister.

I’m just glad the big names (Lester, Price) went to AL teams.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Franklin’s game hasn’t worked yet at the MLB level but the Rays have supposedly coveted him for a while. They have done well before developing players. They also get A ball Willy Adames as the 3rd player in the deal with Drew Smyly.

53. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Trainan brought up. Cabrerra will be active tomorrow.

• jd - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I bet Barrett goes down tomorrow.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:19 PM

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:33 PM

MNF, I’ve been asking for that for weeks.

54. secretwasianman - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:37 PM

wonder how espi will play tonight?. boring trade. we might win a crappy NL east but that’s it.

• David Proctor - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Always the optimist

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Even when you say we win the division you have to say it negatively. Are you negative by nature. Iknow my wife says overly optimistic by nature, always assuming we will go 162-0 til we lose the first on than 161-1 etc.

Living positive so much than down grading something I love.

• micksback1 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I think he is going to have an impact ina great way

I am excited by the move

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I believe a new start on a FIRST place team, he will play fine.

• therealjohnc - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Plate discipline, Smyrcok – don’t hack at the wild stuff.

55. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Dodgers made no trades. That’s a swing and a miss on teams that didn’t get David Price. Tampa Bay wanted Taijuan Walker and in the end didn’t get him. Seattle gets Austin Jackson and only threw Nick Franklin into that 3 team deal.

• nats128 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:59 PM

They got Darwin Barney a few days ago. Hah!

56. micksback1 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:54 PM

very sound move and KUDOS to Rizzo.

look, I will Walters, but he made the most sense to give up. You do not give up pitching and Giolotto or Coles would have been a bad move.

Zach is a great kid, the draw backIi see with him right now is he strikes out a lot.

This was a great pick up. Great day, botth Lester and Price stay out of the NL too

now, lets win Gio!

57. micksback1 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:56 PM

just heard Rizzo with Danny on 106.7, excellent interview

• nats128 - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Did he say anything about Beltre or any one else

• micksback1 - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:16 PM

no, basically he said zach was a great kid and it was difficult decision, he stayed focus on the Nats only and described the process

the big quote from Rizzo was that the Nats were not going to do anything to hurt their future

• nats128 - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Thanks for the update

58. micksback1 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:56 PM

also, i did not know that Gomes was part of the A’s deal, that may be an even better pick up

59. coop202 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Am I the only one intrigued by the fact he hasn’t played 2nd since 2009? Everyone’s kind of if ignoring that – not that it’s a huge switch and I assume he’s a 2b but does he get time at 3rd with Rendon at 2?

• coop202 - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Also wish hey had gone bigger to be honest. Best addition unfortunately probably is braves replacing BJ followed by cozart in Miami. Think we also started from a higher floor though

• coop202 - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Best addition in NL east to clarify

• therealjohnc - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:41 PM

You think the Braves are going to sit BJ Upton? Why? Because it would be smart? Heck, he’s their leadoff hitter!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:08 PM

“Ghost of Steve M. – Jul 31, 2014 at 4:29 PM
      I hope not. Take it slow MW. Asdrubal hasn’t played 2nd base since 2009 I believe.”

He’s a shortstop and will need some reps but should be fine.

• coop202 - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Ah. Should’ve read more carefully.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:17 PM

No problem. We are thinking along the same lines.

60. Section 222 - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Well, I was going to be disappointed if we didn’t make a move to do something about 2B, and I was going to take a victory lap too because I didn’t think Rizzo was going to do it. So I was wrong about that. It’s not a blockbuster move, but it’s an attempt to address a glaring weakness. Who knows what was being asked for Utley, Beltre, and Murphy? If all the conversations started with Giolito or even Cole, then I can understand why they went nowhere. Walters was clearly expendable if he wasn’t even going to be given a tryout against RHP.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:09 PM

There were ridiculous demands. Teams asking for Gio, Cole, Giolito, etc JUST SAY NO

• rayvil01 - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:16 PM

You see where Aramo us blaming tge other GMs for not being agressive? OMG

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Funny. The asking prices were obscene out there. Worst trade was David Price. That’s awful no matter what Ken Rosenthal says.

They could have cleaned out 2 to 3 top prospects for him. Nick Franklin? What is his ceiling?

• Section 222 - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:16 PM

In Rizzo We Trust. I guess. Not that we have any choice.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 7:18 PM

You know the old saying, “Sometimes the best trade you make is the one you didn’t”.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I am sure Giolito was asked all by all, and none of those to me worth it even up much less throwing in more.

61. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:16 PM

“@Ken_Rosenthal: Totally understand questions about #Rays’ return for Price. As with everything in this sport, best to reserve judgment.”

62. scnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Hard to know what people were asking but it seems Rizzo thinks this team can win. I have a hard time believing this is the best 25 we can out forward.

Now extend Ian or Jordan and I’m ok standing pat.

63. manassasnatsfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Tampa got another prospect from Tigers too.

64. Theophilus T.S. - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Not impressed by Cabrera trade. While there has been a lot of conversation about Walters’s defense there hasn’t been nearly enuf actual observation at the ML level. There’s no assurance he doesn’t grow, on defense, the way Desmond did. In the meantime, after leaking promiscuously hat they were looking for a high-minors middle-infield propspect they traded their best — maybe in a mediocre lot but the best of the bunch — high minors MI project. Guaranteeing that next year’s backup IFs will be Espinosa — if he doesn’t start — and one or two Frnasden-equivalents. Nothing to look forward to.

• Section 222 - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:42 PM

prospect —> project. Freudian slip or intentionally clever elocution?

65. habs3 - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I love how all these experts including MZ say that Walters was not Major Level player. We don’t know because he was never given a chance . I have to sit and watch game after game as Hairston, McCouth, Espinosa , Lobaton, and Frandsen continue to flail away and yet they are given chance after chance. I recall that Desmond was not very good when he first. arrived. He was given every chance. Why MW did not play Walters so Rizzo could make an informed decision is beyond me.

MZ looses credibility when he says: “But the 24-year-old infielder did little in his limited time in the big leagues, hitting .234 with three homers and 16 strikeouts in 43 plate appearances.”

• 6ID20 - Jul 31, 2014 at 6:18 PM

How does Mark lose credibility by quoting a guy’s actual big league stats? They are what they are, and that’s all he said.

• MNatF - Jul 31, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I think “looses credibility” is my new favorite self-referential phrase.

• Eric - Jul 31, 2014 at 7:55 PM

LMAO

• Section 222 - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Maybe because Rizzo made an informed decision from watching him at various levels of our system over the last several years? Just because you don’t feel you’ve seen enough doesn’t mean Rizzo hasn’t.

66. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:52 PM

“@AdamKilgoreWP: With Cosart trade, Marlins are going to have a hell of a rotation very soon. NL East got tougher.”

Miami got him for Marisnick who hadn’t adapted to the big leagues and some decent prospects but didn’t have to give up MLB starters.

Houston blew that one. That’s making a trade for the sake of making a trade.

• rayvil01 - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Don’t you wonder, Ghost, what Armano turned down for Lee? If it was more than a box of bats he had to be smacking his forehead when Lee grabbed his arm.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I bet he turned down 2 prospects for him and wanted more. He has always over-valued his own players.

He put together a World Series team and then felt like he wanted to keep them around until retirement.

• rayvil01 - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:05 PM

He is going to get his wish. But not in the way he envisioned.

67. erocks33 - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I like this trade a lot. Walters was not going to break into the starting lineup in DC. Too many holes in his swing, and his defense is suspect (at best).

Cabrera is a rental. Pure and simple. Putting Cabrera at 2B is a bit of a risk, but I’d rather have him there than Frandsen right now. And I’d rather have him batting against RHP than Espi, every day of the week.

My feeling is that Cabrera was getting restless in Cleveland and that a change of scenery (and a *REAL* pennant race) will lift his play way up — much like the way Marco Scutaro was “All-World” when he was moved from Colorado to San Fran for their pennant race in 2012 (he practically doubled his OPS+ those last couple of months in SF and was a BIG factor in them winning it all).

Plus, Rizzo will keep one eye on how the he does (along with the rest of the team) these next couple of weeks and the other eye on the waiver wire. Can almost guarantee that if another piece is missing in that timeframe (bullpen, bench, big bat), Rizzo will get it.

Now, let’s beat the snot out of the Phillies!