Game 109: Phillies at Nats

Aug 3, 2014, 10:17 AM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

The Nationals enter Sunday looking to split their four-game series with Philadelphia, thanks to an 11-0 beatdown of the Phillies on Saturday night. Runs, however, could be a little harder to come by on this particular day.

It’s a marquee pitching matchup at Nationals Park with Stephen Strasburg (7-9, 3.55) going up against Cole Hamels (6-5, 2.55). The two San Diego-natives have each been brilliant in this NL East series over the years.

In nine starts against the Phillies, Strasburg is 3-1 with a 2.41 ERA and 67 strikeouts in 56 innings. Hamels has faced the Nationals 29 times before and is 15-6 with a 2.63 ERA. He has 195 strikeouts in 191 2/3 innings with a 1.075 WHIP.

As you will see below in the lineup, both Bryce Harper and Wilson Ramos are getting the day off. Ramos is getting some rest after catching a night game and the Harper move is likely to get Scott Hairston in there.

Hairston has faced Hamels more than he has any other MLB pitcher. He holds a .390 average with five home runs, nine RBI and five doubles in 44 career plate appearances.

Updates to come…

LHP Cole Hamels

UMPIRES
HP Eric Cooper
1B Tom Hallion (cc)
2B (cc)Tripp Gibson
3B Chris Guccione

1:52 p.m. — The first inning was a quick one as both Strasburg and Hamels pitched perfect frames. Strasburg had two strikeouts, getting Rollins to go down swinging and Utley looking at a curveball for the third out. Werth struck out looking for Hamels’ third out after Span and Rendon flew out to left field. Strasburg threw 16 pitches, while Hamels only needed 11.

2:06 p.m. — Another inning gone in a flash. Strasburg went 1-2-3 with two more strikeouts to give him four through two innings. Hamels then notched two strikeouts in a perfect frame. Strasburg is at 29 pitches, Hamels has thrown 21.

2:25 p.m. — We are scoreless no more, as the Nationals got their first run of the game off Hamels in the bottom of the third. Lobaton reached on an error by Asche at third and then moved to second on a bunt by Strasburg. Span then singled to right field to score Lobaton to make it a 1-0 game. That’s the 29th straight game Span has reached base, the longest streak in the majors this season.

2:45 p.m. — We’re still looking at a 1-0 score after four innings. The Phillies saw Rollins single and reach second on a stolen base, but that was it. The Nats then went down in order. Strasburg has 56 pitches through four, Hamels has 46.

3:06 p.m. — Still a 1-0 game after five. The Phillies made it interesting with two outs in the top of the inning after Asche doubled. He was then nearly picked off by Lobaton at second. Williams challenged the ‘safe’ call, and it was upheld despite the replay showing what looked like a tag by Desmond before Asche got back to the bag. In the end it didn’t matter and the Nats couldn’t capitalize on a leadoff single by Hairston in the bottom half of the inning. Strasburg is at 69 pitches, Hamels has tossed 60.

3:25 p.m. — No runs once again in the sixth inning, though the Nats did see Span go all the way to third. He reached on an infield single and then stole his 22nd and 23rd bases of the year. His career-high was 26 back in 2010, so he’s well on pace to pass that. Strasburg will head back out having only thrown 83 pitches. Hamels is at 73.

3:48 p.m. — A 1-0 game it remains. Strasburg allowed a walk to Byrd, who also stole second. That was it, though, and Strasburg is now out of the game after throwing 99 pitches. Tyler Clippard will take over with Bryce Harper relieving Hairston in left field. Hamels allowed a single, but nothing more. He is at 86 pitches.

4:20 p.m. — The Phillies pinch-hit for Hamels in the eighth and, well, it didn’t work out. The Nats were able to get three more runs off relievers Ken Giles and Jake Diekman to make this a 4-0 game. Rendon and Werth each had RBI doubles before Werth scored the third run on a wild pitch by Diekman. Rafael Soriano will now come in looking to put a stamp on this one.

4:28 p.m. — Nats win 4-0, get their 60th victory of the season. Here’s the instant analysis: http://natsinsider.com/2014/08/03/instant-analysis-nats-4-phillies-0/

1. Candide - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM

(Got new-posted.)

I think I recall a fair amount of argument during spring training about where in the lineup Rendon should bat. Not to start another, “I said it first!” argument (I’m sure I wasn’t), but I know I was posting that he’d be batting second regularly well before the end of the season (I think I had Memorial Day or Independence Day as the no-later-than date). Wish I could see the stock market even half as clearly as I saw that.

Is there some sort of metric to determine whether Span-Rendon is the most productive 1-2 leadoff in MLB?

• laddieblahblah - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Way ahead of you, Candide – I had him hitting 2nd last summer, and listed all the reasons when Ghost asked why, way back then.

I now think he should move to the 5-hole, as he leads the team in XBH and slugging percentage, and is much less likely to strike out with RISP than Desmond.

The Nats have had scant run production out of the 5-slot since they moved Desmond into that position. When Rendon comes up with RISP he usually puts the ball in play, and knows how to hit as the game situation dictates, e.g. his slow grounder to RF in the 1st to move Span to 3rd that turned out to be an RBI single when it squeaked through the right side, just yesterday.

I have also changed my opinion about Cabrera. It’s a small sample size but I no longer consider him a modest upgrade over Espinsoa – he is a substantial upgrade at 2nd over Espinosa, both as a LH hitter and on defense.

Unlike most of the Nats community, I do not consider Espinsoa, and never have, to be a “gold glove caliber” 2nd baseman. To me, that contention is a running joke. Espinosa has plus range and a plus arm, but a shaky glove and a tendency to go blank in critical situations, as he showed in game 1 with the Phils when he threw home way too late to challenge the runner scoring from 3rd, thereby failing to get an easy out, instead. That was scored a fielder’s choice, as so many such similar plays are scored when Danny has a brain freeze or simply drops the ball (sorry, but he does, all the time). To this day, he has not yet learned how to clear 2nd base when making the DP relay to 1b. It took Rendon one lesson from Davey to learn how to do that.

Cabrera looks much better than Danny at 2nd from what I have seen, thus far. No one can expect him to drive half the pitches he sees, as he has done his first 2 games, but he looks really good with the stick, too. He could hit 2nd if he keeps that up. That would be a downgrade from Rendon, but it would upgrade production at both the 5-hole and the 7-hole, where Desmond has always, always done his best offensive work. Matt could put Rendon anywhere and he would produce. He modifies his approach at the plate to suit the game situation. Some guys have it, and can do it, but most don’t, and can’t. He has hit like a 10-year veteran no matter where he has hit.

Also regret that Rizzo did not pick up Sizemore when he could have had him for a song. I mentioned that on this site when Grady announced he would try to come back, one more time. Instead, Mike paid $5 mn for McClouth.

That was a big miss. Grady is showing how much he has of the “character and makeup” which Mike so greatly values. My hat is off the Grady Sizemore, and his remarkable comeback.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I agree with you regarding Espinosa being over-rated on here defensively for all of the reasons that you have mentioned, plus he has about killed Werth a half dozen times on balls hit between the 2 of them that supposed to be the outfielder’s ball. I just don’t think he’s the sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes.

• Section 222 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Thanks for taking on the GG defense assumption about Espi. I agree. Great range, great arm, but he bobbles too many balls to be put in that rarefied air. Cabrera with a web gem again today. Great stuff.

I disagree about moving Rendon. If Harper were hitting well enough to go to that spot in the order, maybe. But Span and Rendon are doing too much for this team right now to split them up. I’d like MW to show some confidence in Harper by batting him 5th. Seems like he leads off too many innings from the 6 hole. (Mostly that’s due to Desi making the last out, I know.) That might require swapping ALR and Werth, but then again, Philly did fine for awhile with Utley and Howard back to back.

Really, we just need Zim back in the lineup.

• scmargenau - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:31 PM

+1000

2. Candide - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Getting back to Burnett getting tossed last night, for a moment.

I don’t know what Burnett said – don’t see how anyone could read his lips from behind the pitcher’s mound – but Guccione looked seriously amped-up. Wondering if there’s some history between the two of them.

Or did Burnett realize he didn’t have his command and thought he was getting unjustifiably squeezed (didn’t look like it to me)?

Flicking his finger out at the ump hardly seems to me like showing him up. Especially when you consider that nobody in the stands knew why Burnett was ejected – if nobody saw what he’d done, then who was Burnett showing Guccione up TO?

Watch the replay again, and tell me Guccione doesn’t look like someone who’s just inches away from throwing a punch, even after he’s gone back behind the plate again and Burnett and Sandberg are gone.

Or is that just his natural expression?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I posted up his pitch chart. He wasn’t getting squeezed. Guc missed 2 strikes but also gave him 2 freebies. We’ve seen far worse than what AJ went through.

• Eric - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Apparently he took exception to an outside called ball, then threw an outside ball in purpose and said something like, “*that* was outside.”

IIRC, either the Phillies’ announcers or Bob and F.P. indicated that was Burnett’s side of the exchange.

If that’s accurate, that’s pretty pointed, imo.

• Candide - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Yeah, I read that, too.

But as F.P. likes to say, a batter can say almost ANYTHING to the ump as long as he doesn’t turn around to say it, because that’s showing him up. Now, the pitcher is almost ALWAYS facing the ump. So Guccione’s complaint was that Burnett was showing him up with a brief finger-point that probably not a dozen people in the stands saw, and fewer even attached any significance to, combined with a snarky comment that nobody off the field heard.

I think it was an overreaction. Am I missing something?

• Eric - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I think having first complained about the called ball to Rendon, followed by the, “See? THAT’s a ball.” conveyed the impression that Burnett thought he was better than Gucionne at umpiring.

I think under all of this is also the need to never appear to be letting a player or team influence your actions.

• Candide - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:22 AM

You can do that without ejecting a pitcher for a finger wag. There’s the old story of the rookie batter who complained to the ump about a called strike: “Come on, blue, that pitch was outside.” To which the ump replied, “If you think it was outside, why don’t you go and take the rest of the pitches this at-bat and see if they’re outside, too?”

I imagine an umpire can do something similar with a pitcher. Maybe say something quietly to the catcher. “You know, I think you might want to go calm your guy down out there because he looks to me like he’s trying to get tossed.”

• Eric - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Do we know the ump didn’t say something to Ruiz and/or Burnett?

Don’t get me wrong, though: I wouldn’t put it past an ump to throw someone out over a triviality.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Guc might have been amped up — but AJ was asking for it. Look at the replay — even the Phillie announcemers didn’t think the ejection was unreasonable.

AJ was yelling at the ump during Rendon’s at bat, and then yelled again after the pitch to Werth, accompanied with some arm motion (more than just a finger wag). He was clearly — and visibly — showing Guc up. In fact, later in the clip it seems like Guc says to Sandberg “all game he’s been showing me up.”

As FP keeps saying — and as the Phillie guys were partially saying — you can say all kinds of stuff to the ump, but when it’s accompanied by visual stuff so that everybody can see, that’s “showing the ump up” and that takes it to a different category.

This one is on AJ. He earned that ejection. I’m not sure *any* ump would have let that last antic slide (“now *that’s* outside”, yelled so that everyone on the infield, and probably the dugouts, too, could hear it).

3. nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Matt Lecroy ate Bannas and mayo sandwich last night. Winning.

4. Eric - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I like this Asdrubal fella…

Go Nats!!!

• lphboston - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Cabrera helps the offense if for no other reason than he puts balls in play. You can’t have your 2B averaging a strikeout a game. Looking long term, if he works out at 2B and you can get him signed beyond this year, you can let ALR walk, move RZ to 1B and head into spring training with the lineup set for 2015. Bring up Souza (he’s ready) for OF depth. Rizzo can repair the bench (it looked so strong in March) and then take most of the winter off.

• natszee - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Bingo!

• sjm308 - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Eric, I like him as well.
      I think this will be another plus for Rizzo.
      Funny how in his first inning at SS for us the ball finds him immediately. Not a tough play but he was smooth.
      Not to pick nits but his arm is not what I am used to with Desi, but he has really made good contact at the plate.

Does anyone here think MW should tinker with the lineup?
      I do not.
      I love our top 3.
      I guess you could move Harper up if he catches fire but certainly not now.
      Ramos has always shown comfort in batting 8th.
      I like what we have considering we are missing a huge piece in Zimmerman

Go Nats!

• Eric - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I agree re: the line up.

If Cabrera works out, the line up debates upon Bryce’s return will be child’s play compared with what we might see upon Zim’s return.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:32 AM

why does Ramos show comfort batting eighth ?
        Although I think his lack of power may be more due to the injury but who knows ??

5. sjm308 - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Answered the few who wondered about my sign off on the last post but will repeat
    Can’t I have a little fun?
    I always end with Go Nats and wanted to rub it in a little with sarcasm – don’t have any ideas on how to show that but yes, Go Nats!

I think (hope) that by the time the Braves reach DC they will be physically and mentally exhausted

Go Nats!

• Candide - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Can’t I have a little fun?

There’s fun.

And there’s pure, satanic evil.

/sarc
      /kidding

• sjm308 - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I plead guilty
        I really want to poke Mick as well but that is like taking candy from a …… Well you know?

• Eric - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Irony mark is my preference for indicating sarcasm or irony when context is insufficient (not saying that was the case with your post…I was up late last night). It’s basically a backwards question mark; alas, the one I used to copy from the wiki entry on irony punctuation is no longer rendered correctly, at least on Chrome.

The Arabic question mark is close, though: ؟

• NatsLady - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Mick’s on vacation… Anyway, the season was over when the Nats blew the 6-0 lead and got shut out the next game because they were utterly devastated.

Or was it a nine-run lead?

P.S., season’s not over yet. Atlanta could prove to be as resilent as the Nats.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Or was it a nine-run lead?

Actually — the earliest one I can remember (I haven’t searched) was SWM declaring the season over after the April 24 12-inning 4-3 loss to the Padres. The season is “already over” he declared. (Earlier he had already pronounced Strasburg’s season a failure).

PS: The next day, with the Nats apparently being deflated, Strasburg pitched 7 shutout innings and the Nats beat the Padres 11-1.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

We were just busting your “chops”

• Eric - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Lmao!

• sjm308 - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM

This really is a special group

• Candide - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM

This really is a special group

As in, “The special ed kids ride the short bus…”?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I just lost my breakfast!

• scmargenau - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Ok. Mean a tad.. But I spit up my IPA from Foothiills brewery a bit! Poor SWM/mick – they mean no harm

6. Doc - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM

9 AB’s as a Nat, and our 2B guy Cabrera has yet to K!

Now that’s different!

• NatsLady - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Sorry, but he struck out as the last batter in Friday’s game.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Yep, right after Bryce.

• Doc - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I stand corrected!

There must have been something in his eye. LOL

7. coop202 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM

interesting lineup choice… I guess MW likes Lobo catching stras and Harper needs a day because…. what?

• coop202 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:29 AM

well just checked myself – .390 hitter in 41 appearances against him

• NatsLady - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Because he argues with umps over balls and strikes when the game is 9-0 and 11-0, which is NOT how to win friends and influence umpires (especially a touchy ump like Guccione, who had already made it clear he’d had ENOUGH.) Seriously, I don’t know if that’s the reason, but the kid needs a serious refresher course in “relax, we got this.”

• Eric - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Nice Carnegie reference there NL…lol

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Because he argues with umps over balls and strikes…

Perhaps I’ve missed it, but I haven’t seen that lately. And Gucc is not behind the plate today anyway.

• NatsLady - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I was at the game and saw it both times (it might not have been on TV), plus stalking off the 2nd time when it was 11-0. Don’t have time tor research if he was jobbed. Agree it’s a different plate ump. Also no idea if that’s the reason for him sitting out. Just an observation that in a big blowout the strike zone might be a bit larger so as to move the game along and when you’re winning the blowout, you let that ride.

• masterfishkeeper - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Agreed. Harper was showing displeasure with the balls and strikes again. He should have learned by now not to do that.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM

I guess MW likes Lobo catching

Even more than that, he likes Ramos resting on day games after night games — especially when Ramos has started the last six consecutive Nats games.

See last night’s discussion on Fredi’s almost criminal negligence regarding Gattis’ usage.

============
      BTW, elsewhere in this thread I refer to a brilliant game that Stras pitched, leading to an 11-1 Nats victory over the Pads. Lobo caught that game, too. (And went 3-for-5)

• coop202 - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Didn’t join the board last night, all this makes more sense

8. ArVAFan - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Change of topic, but a couple of comments from the Season Ticket Holder event yesterday.

Mike Rizzo got the laugh of the day in his response to a question about Aaron Barrett. “It’s only a balk to ONE umpire–somehow 400 others in the minors missed it.” He indicated that AB would be back later this year, that he’s a great pitcher and fearless.

Mike’s other comment was when someone asked him if he could comment about the MASN situation. Response was “NO” in about the same tone you’d get if you asked him about trading Giolito.

There were only two events: the 15 minute interview with Mike and Bob Boone, and the on-field with the players. If you want to get your ball, cap, program, etc., signed by a bunch of players (despite the “no autographs” sign), bring someone under 10 years old. Works every time. Next year I’m going to get one of the usher’s stop signs and get Henley to sign it (assuming he’s still 3rd base coach).

Roark finally got a nice haircut and beard trim. Unlike, say, Werth, who definitely looked like he was ready for his cameo as the Werewolf of London.

Past STH events have included food and give-aways like t-shirts. This year, we got 300 points, and a free hot dog/chips/drink at a future game.

• NatsLady - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM

The kids near me were very pushy, and Bryce didn’t sign for them (though he did sign for the lady in the wheelchair and a couple of others). Even more pushy lady in her 40s next to me asked me if I would do her a “great, great favor” and get Werth to sign. No, I wouldn’t, and I was squirming uncomfortably. He walked past without a glance in our direction, thank goodness.

• Candide - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I always wonder how many of these autograph hounds go straight to eBay the moment they get home.

• NatsLady - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Exactly. The pushiest kids (two boys about ten), where waving and shouting that they had “the scorecard from your first game, Bryce,” over and over again, as if they were hawking it TO him. A signed scorecard from Bryce’s debut is probably big bucks on the memorabilia market, and you wonder where they got it. They would have been 8 years old when he debuted and I’ll eat my ticket if they were keeping score at that game. Some pre-teen girls were squealing a lot. Bryce had his own security guard, and that seems wise.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Would also have had to have been in LA! Possible, I guess.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM

yeah…don’t get the skimping…loved Jason Werth’s Mr. Cool walk. But the ballplayers were quite accomodating.
      Couldn’t get Jerry Blevins off the field but he didn’t have to throw strikes.

I can’t say as much to the Nazi guards and stadium management personnel. I ran into a nice old lady trying to get into the stadium with her president’s club tix for an event,($250.). Tried to help her as she was hot, overwhelmed and confused, but G.. forbid if they could have let her in a few minutes early to sit somewhere out of the heat and in the stadium….but rules are rules and old ladies be darned….stupid.

• NatsLady - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I had exactly the opposite experience. The guard guided me and another handicapped lady though all the tunnels to get to the ramp on the first base side (even though that’s a “credentialed” area), explaining what was what, and making sure we knew how to exit. I would not have been able to attend except for the ADA rules, but they went over and beyond to make sure we were accomodated.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM

She did not have ADA passes. She was just suffering from the heat so I guess that doesn’t count….that’s what you get for your $250 president’s pass.

• Candide - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM

but rules are rules and old ladies be darned….stupid.

A lot of people have the attitude in their jobs, “I’m not paid to think; it’s easier to just follow the rules.”

Even if you end up doing something stupid like suspending an elementary school kid for eating a Pop Tart into the shape of a gun. Or the state of Maryland. Or Idaho turned sideways. Or something. “It’s the rules – zero tolerance, you know!”

/rant

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:43 PM

no, I felt the same way at the time

9. rmoore446 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Enjoyed last night’s game even watching the Phillies TV broadcast though it seemed to be missing some helpful supporting graphics we have on MASN. I thought the play-by-play announcer was rather good. But I did eventually go to our radio feed.

I’d like another score quick, low intensity, rocking chair game this afternoon. But I will take a win anyway we can get one.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Well Angelos did say, if he doesn’t get his way, he will pull Nats broadcasts off of MASN.
      Nats response was, well, we have other choices besides MASN. Everyone got Comcast from their cable provider ??
      Otherwise, I’ll be going to a lot more home games.

• Eric - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM

What other options? And, are you saying they are or are not available via Comcast?

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM

I don’t think they are currently available via comcast. Maybe that’s the hypothetical option the Nats were referring to. But I don’t know what either side was thinking.
        Of course, a move in that direction from either side would be a breach of contract. Funny, the O’s in one breath say they always honor contracts and in the other threaten to remove the Nats broadcasts from MASN.
        And that dopey 5 pm MASN baseball live broadcast (led by the drunken Tom Davis) has become more of a Nats bashing show with Phil Wood recently no longer on the show

Give it up, Asselos and your henchboy, SWM

• thelatencn - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I’m sure the Phillies have plenty of graphics on their broadcasts, but MASN was picking up the feed before they were added, so there were none at all in what we were seeing.

10. nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Scott Hairston sighting vs Hamels. It didn’t work out well last time as the first 2 ABs he made bad outts wtih RISP. He did have a bases empty single in his 3rd AB.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I wonder if it has anything to do with the history between Hamels and Harper

• nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Combo of both since MASN is touting his .390 BA against Hamels.

11. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I wouldn’t blame Strasburg if he was a bit steamed about always seeming to draw the scrub lineups.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I get Lobaton…don’t ever get Hairston in Left Field.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Not to be tiresome about it, but what wouldn’t you give to see Souza getting a regular shot in these kinds of situations?

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Who wouldn’t? It’s just that these kinds of situations are fairly rare — and having him set on the bench between those situations, I presume, wouldn’t be good for him?

12. dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:04 PM

The only poster I cannot tolerate is SWM, since he clearly is not a fan of the Nats. Others like Mick and Manassas are truly passionate and sincere about this team, even though I may disagree with some of their opinions…But that is good thing. Who said, seek first to understand and then to be understood…the same guy who said, go placidly amidst the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Later amended to:

Go placidly amid the noise and waste,
      And remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
      Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep.
      Rotate your tires.
      Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself,
      And heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.
      Know what to kiss, and when.
      Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do.
      :-D

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:13 PM

LOL…I never heard that one.
        3 wrongs do make a right, doesn’t it

• rmoore446 - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:15 PM

#1 Love it!

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:23 PM

National Lampoon’s “Deteriorata.” Google the whole text, it’s funny.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Wow, now we’re getting Max Ehrmann’s Desiderata on here!

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Thanks Joe, could not remember who wrote that or what his name was.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM

My favorite line from that poem: Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

• Candide - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:06 PM

I thought that was Satchel Page… ;-)

• Candide - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Uh-oh – WordPress is hosed again. Previous comment was intended for Joe Seamhead.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:12 PM

I wish there was an option to show newest first. Baby steps, I guesss.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:17 PM

You would think. Something gets deleted and doesn’t change the order.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I just want to know which one of you all got the shuffle button option?

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:58 PM

The WordPress remote is lost under a sofa cushion somewhere.

• Candide - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I just want to know which one of you all got the shuffle button option?

It was Kolko. Remember, he hosed the MASN feed last night, according to Carp and FP.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM

OK, somebody kick PeeWee’s butt.

• nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Straighten that hair and some white makeup and that’s PeeWee.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Span stranded at third again. Nuts.

13. dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:22 PM

What’s this…Nicolletta pizza moving to Nats neighborhood

The Lumber Shed at the Yards Park debuted in late 2013, as did Osteria Morini and Agua 301;
    Ice Cream Jubilee joined the fun in July. (And Yards developer Forest City moved in upstairs.) A southern food restaurant may be coming as well.

And, Nicoletta Pizzeria is supposed to be coming to the boardwalk.

Residents are watching the mid-2014 completion of construction of the Twelve12 apartment building at 4th and Tingey because Harris Teeter and Vida Fitness will be there, but fans looking for pre-game eats will like seeing Sweetgreen and TaKorean open their doors.

Half Street north of Nats Park hasn’t yet become the destination people were hoping for,
    but a small step forward is coming this summer

when beer and brats place The Big Stick opens at 20 M.
    And a Subway Cafe is coming, too.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM

What is Nicolleta Pizza

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM

A New York Pizza place run by the same guy who just opened Osteria Morini near Nats Park.

From what I read, I think I’ll still prefer Wise Guys, Pupatella, 2 Amys and Menomale….but the pizza meetup will do some pregame research once it opens.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Thanks. It will be great when that corridor is a destination spot.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM

slowly coming around…the places down by the water are worth a visit when in town.
        And they’ve started redoing the old southwest water front.

• scmargenau - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Dude! Slid pie listings DCX !!

14. Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM

The primary guy behind the Big Stick is Justin from Justin’s Cafe.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Awesome!!! A little bit of Wisconsin in SE.

15. adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:43 PM

… and on the other side of the country:

Aaron Harang vs Tyson Ross

ESPN notes odds are -137 for the Padres (!!)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM

The Barves were supposed to win the last 2 games. I hope Tyson Ross throws a no-hitter today.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM

– Ross’ last three starts: 2 runs in 19 innings, only 13 hits, 24 K’s, and three wins.

— Ross’ ERA for July: 1.10, second only to Kershaw.

— Ross is on a streak of 8 consecutive starts of 6 or more IP with 2 or fewer runs (second longest in the majors to King Felix).

==========
        Harang, though, has put it together lately: 4-0, 2.68 ERA in his last seven starts.

OTOH, Braves hitting has been worse than the Nats (before the 11 run outburst last night). In their last six games, they’ve scored 1 twice, and 2 three times — while the Padres have scored 10 or more twice in the last week.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I like it a lot. I am hoping for a further Barves meltdown. Its been enjoyable to watch.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Indeed (I just hope we don’t have a reverse lock situation there today ;-) )

16. adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Mets up-and-coming pitchers:

Last night, deGrom and Jake Peavy both had no hitters going into the 7th (actually, Peavy had a perfect game going into the 7th). Mets ended up winning, but, damn, rookie deGrom sure shows a lot of promise (ERA 2.77), and, when the Mets get Matt Harvey back, they’re going to have a decent starting rotation (Harvey, Wheeler, deGrom, Niese, . . . )

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM

deGrom is real deal. Mets and Marlins could be very good next year if they are healthy. Matt Harvey for the Mets and Jose Fernandez for the Marlins.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Mets could have five solid starters. They have a bit of a problem on offense, however.

Miami has decent hitting, but, unless I’m missing something, after Alverez and Fernandez, there’s a big drop off for starters, no?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Miami has a good pipeline. If they went out and got a 1st baseman and a 2-way catcher, they would be a playoff team next year waiting for Jose Fernandez to get healthy. Still don’t know if Stanton stays in Miami.

Mets need a shortstop and 1 more outfielder and a catcher.

I still think the Barves could end up in 3rd place this year when all the dust settles.

It doesn’t help the Marlins that Henderson Alvarez went to the DL. The Marlins still need to sign Giancarlo Stanton long-term. Can they do that?

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:12 PM

So, assume Jose and Alverez are solid next year. Do they have a solid #3? I have no idea what their minor league system has, but I see a hole in the back-end of their rotation.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM

I think Cosart is their #4. Koehler, Hand, Turner can all compete for their #5. They need a #3

17. secretwasianman - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Braves begging us to take this division. I thinks its about time that we did.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Read this. I love the comments.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I need some context . . . what’s that about?

• Eric - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Braves clubhouse/woes

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Yes, someone commented that they have clubhouse problems to which their beat writer agreed a lack of leadership.

Their answer to that is benching Andrelton Simmons. He should have been benched yesterday. He was caught on tape on Friday not ready before a pitch and a ball was hit to him and the batter beat it out for an infield single.

BJ is getting the bulk of the blame. Isn’t that on the GM who signed him to the giant contract? At least Rizzo was wise enough to never bite on that bait.

• Eric - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:05 PM

18. dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM

And this is how some folk predict the future (from tom leherer, after I spent the last 1/2 hour looking up Deteriata)

Despite their of-the-moment subject matter and references, the popularity of these songs has endured; Lehrer quoted a friend’s explanation: “Always predict the worst and you’ll be hailed as a prophet.”[1]

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Likewise, Randy Newman’s “Political Science.” More apt now than when it was written over 40 years ago.

Come on, let’s get this Ballgame Started!

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I’m still learnin Tom Leherer….
        Newman is next… i know a little, Louisiana, they’re gonna wash us away

19. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:18 PM

What is Nicolleta Pizza?

Pete Wells of the NYTimes hated it only slightly less than Guy Fieri’s NY restaurant. But, hey…critics. Everybody’s one.

20. David Proctor - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Jason Benetti ‏@jasonbenetti 6m
    Steven Souza Jr. pulled after a half inning in @SyracuseChiefs game. He singled against Michael Pineda in 1st. #Nats

Hmm…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Uh oh, sounds like a trade.

• natinalsgo - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Ghost, you think? I tweeted MLBTradeRumors. That is crazy unless he’s headed to Nats Park to take Espi’s spot.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Haven’t heard of any injuries so that usually means a trade.

You are right that with the addition of Asdrubel Cabrera who is a shortstop now makes Espinosa expendable.

• masterfishkeeper - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:02 PM

It does sound like a trade, but I’d be surprised if Souza was to be traded for a player who cleared waivers.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Not one for one.

21. texnat1 - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Schoenfield had an interesting article on why Stras hasn’t developed into an ace. The summary is that he says his four seamer lacks movement and Stras is inconsistent in commanding it. So when he gets ahead he is dominant, but when he is in a hitter’s count, they can square up that pitch even at 96.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I agree and my suggestion was doing what Verlander did when he was dominating which is dial down the fastball in all counts except you dial it up on 2 strike counts. He also hasn’t been good on chase fastballs in and up.

• natinalsgo - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Like that 2nd inning?

22. adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Man — Stras looks “en fuego” early.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Locating the fastball. That’s his key.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Unfortunately, Hamels looks en fuego, too,

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Believe in Hairston ;)

23. nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Pitchers dual. Hairston will dominate Hamels once again.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Pitchers dual

Both of them, eh? ;-)

• nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Kind of like dualing banjos.

24. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM

How can Hairston K against Hamels. I’ve heard dozens of times that he owns him. Ha ha ha!

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:58 PM

That K followed a pretty well hit foul ball down there.

And the at bat that followed: a lead off single . . .

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Why was Asche playing him in the cut-out? That should have been a routine 5-3.

25. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Strasburg/Lobaton didn’t have their Asche scouting report. You need to know all your batters 1-8

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Lobaton has had 3 games on the bench to chart the batters and same for Strasburg. It’s a distinct advantage. I expect that you have a plan for every batter except Wil Nieves who hasn’t batted until today.

26. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Way to go Stras! This could be a 1 run game.

27. nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Good bunt Stras. Little things count.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Getting back to that point, if Strasburg doesn’t get the bunt down, it’s still 0-0

• nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:40 PM

To quote you “little things”.

28. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Don’t let up now, guys.

29. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Span’s RISP BA is getting respectable. .266 BA now. A few weeks ago was near Mendoza.

30. nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Could be a 1-0 game. Nats get on the board first!

31. adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Small “Wonkling” story (see threads from 2012 for Wonkling background):

She’s on an Ultimate Frisbee team. Another player was complaining to her that the other player has been able to shut down her person on defense, but isn’t getting thrown to so much on offense.

The Wonkling, my 19 year old daughter said: “that’s still valuable — the Nats keep Espinosa around” ;-)

32. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Jordan Schafer who was DFA’d by the Barves was just picked up by the Twins.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM

The fact that he was DFA’d gives more credence to your Bonifacio possibility.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Joe, it’s a slight upgrade but an upgrade nonetheless. Funny thing its Andrelton Simmons who got benched today.

33. davecydell - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Span
    8 spins of the bat
    base hit

34. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Strasburg doesn’t get many leads and this would be the game for him to throw a shutout.

35. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Reds taking it to the Marlins.

36. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM

It’s been over an hour since Souza got pulled from the game. Any eyes on the dugout there? I haven’t seen any potential MLB players pulled from a game that fit the Nats profile.

37. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Daniel Murphy not playing for the Mets.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM

DO. NOT. WANT.

• nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I agree. Probably just a coincidence. Beltre and Utley are both playing! Castro’s team plays later.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:57 PM

May be just a matchup thing:

Right-handed batter after right-handed batter stepped into the box against the Giants, eight in all. Against lefty Madison Bumgarner, Mets manager Terry Collins rested regular first baseman Lucas Duda and second baseman Daniel Murphy, leaving Curtis Granderson as the only left-handed hitter in his lineup.

38. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I wouldn’t have challenged. You have the pitcher up and Strasburg dealing.

39. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Like I said, not a good challenge.

40. secretwasianman - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Bottom of this order is gross. New guy batting under .200. Ughhhhhh

• nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM

You must like small sample sizes.

41. secretwasianman - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Why wasn’t Ramos given from the 5 th inning on off yesterday. That way he could play today. Lobo is pathetic.

42. nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:04 PM

The MASN power outage has hit the Tampa Rays stadium.

43. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:07 PM

44. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Was kinda hoping we could get J Schaffer when he was DFA’d….. I don’t think we really have anyone with his speed that can cause some havoc on the base paths late in the game….

I would cry if Souza was traded….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me if Nats wanted him but the waiver pickups start at worst records 1st so Twins had a chance before Nats.

45. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Nice play…

46. Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM

How about that play by Cabrera? Wow!

47. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM

That was a nice Web Gem by Asdrbual!

48. TimDz - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM

SS is on today….question is this:

How many pitches do you let him go…I say 115 to 120….

NICE pic Cabrerra!

49. adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Strasburg, in his last two starts:

13 IP, 1 run, 7 hits, 12 K’s, 2 BB’s

50. Candide - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Every play Cabrera makes at second makes Espinosa that much more tradeable.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM

The only thing that makes him less traceable is, y’know… Espi. ;-)

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM

“tradeable”

Although, come to think of it…

51. acsportsfn - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Check out ESPN story on pitchers redsox could target this winter……2 nats on list..fister and jzimm.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Behind a paywall, sadly.

• acsportsfn - Aug 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Basically it said rizzo might deal them tothe sox early rather than lose them for nothing

52. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I’m sure Span doesn’t want to give up any secrets on his base stealing, I wonder what he has changed this year. Any coaching from McLouth who isn’t as fast but knows that good base stealers steal off of the pitchers.

53. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Time for the bullpen to get going. Long fly to the wall by Howard and a 4 pitch walk to Byrd. I don’t like that.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Good call Ghost. Bullpen warming double barrel.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Now to see if Stras can get “Who” out.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Now throw high heat here to Nieves.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Wasn’t high enough on the heater.

• nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM

High to low. That was nice!

54. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM

That’s the Wil Nieves I remember.

• nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM

55. texnat1 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I’m going to have to start posting that Schoenfield article on Stras every time he pitches.

56. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Start with Pedroia and keep talking.

57. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Let’s give Strasburg a lot of credit. Shutout and got through a tough 7th inning.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Even in the recent games where he gave up early runs he’s mostly sucked it up and kept the team close.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM

He had no hit stuff today. Asche was the only one who had him figured and Rollins got the other hit.

58. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Hairston can get back over .400 with a hit here against Hamels.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Comedy at its best….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:52 PM

A single with nobody on. Applause applause. That’s not owning a pitcher going 1-3.

• nats128 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Lobaton got a single off of Hamels to go 1-3

59. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Helluva game by SS… Helluva game…

60. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Carp gets lost again. No, Bob… Hairston just made an out. That’s Cabrera.

61. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I prefer Frandsen over Hairston because I have more faith in Frandsen’s defense and I sure hope Bryce comes in for defense for Hairston now.

62. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I’ve finally gotten used to Asche’s name. For months I thought the Phillies had a Japanese player named Kobiyashi.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM

And his first name was Maru?

63. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM

In spring training a couple of years ago I saw Clippard come into some games in late innings, pitching against mostly AA guys. They had never seen anything like that changeup. I swear a few of them could have loaded up and swung at it again.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Brutal.

64. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Great pitch by Clippard !

65. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Big decision for MW in the 9th with Rollins being a switch-hitter followed by 2 lefties.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:54 PM

If it’s anyone other than Soriano I will eat a large bag of navel lint (but you’ll have to take my word for it).

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I want to see stoatva eat naval lint!

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM

On the advice of my attorney I have added a “three or more insurance runs” exception.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM

My preference?

A couple of insurance runs right now.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I suppose I should add that qualification to my offer.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM

This guy Giles — where’d this guy come from?

He’s a rookie this year — age 23. 19 games, 20.2 IP, only 2 runs allowed. And he throws 99. Yowza!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM

+1 adcwonk

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Good call adcwonk! On cue!

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Wow (looks down at his fingers) — I didn’t realize they were loaded!

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Oh, and please note: I used the plural — as in runs
        ;-)

66. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Great inning Clip…

67. Section 222 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Win or lose, Stras stepped up. Can we put that “he’s not mentally tough” crap to bed?

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I’m still trying to understand the definition of ‘mental toughness’… Care to explain the definition…

*this is not a snarky comment… I just keep reading the phrase and going huh…*

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I’ve heard enough about the BS that Strasburg lacks mental toughness. That’s just asinine, IMHO.

68. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Can Denard steal on this guy?

69. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Span! I love leadoff walks from Nats batters!

70. adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Span’s OBP crosses north of .350 with that last AB

71. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM

That’s what I’m talkin’ about.

72. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Good call Wonk… Yes!

73. dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM

oh yeah,…who mentioned the span/rendon combo…..those two will take us far.

74. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Tony 2-Bags to the rescue!

75. Section 222 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM

And that, ladies and gents, is why you don’t want anyone other than Anthony Rendon batting second. Give that guy as many ABs as possible in a game.

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM

76. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM

That N-A-T-S cheer seems to get louder and louder every game… :-) *golf clap*

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:04 PM

yes…its spreading to surrounding sections 312/314

77. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM

FP, good choices on team MVPs but I’m with Bob as Rendon has had the consistency.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM

both together improve each other’s success….1+1= another runn
      Span sees better pitches because of Rendon, with a runner on, Rendon sees more strikes and on and on…
      For the other side of the story, look at streaky Atlanta

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Very true. It’s a good combination which is why MW’s answers on possibly batting Asdrubal in the 2-hole was baffling.

Why change what’s working.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM

78. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Werth’s main job here is to move Rendon to 3rd base.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Secondary to that is driving him home!

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Well, he _did_ go the other way with it ;-)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:09 PM

He did and was working on the bonus program.

79. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM

The harder they come, the harder they fall. One and all.

80. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Earth to FP, it’s a 3-0 game, not a 2-0 game.

81. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I would have Desi bunting here.

82. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Come on, Harp.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Pullin’ off the ball SOOOO bad.

83. dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM

eeeh…..Harper a sucker for the fastball darting to the outside….change in approach needed

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM

whoops, I mean the slider…It seems like he misses those alot

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:14 PM

now that was better…going the opposite field with it….they’ll stop playing that game on him soon

84. mdmcommish - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Just make contact please

85. mdmcommish - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:14 PM

mark, we cannot use this site when the sequence of time gets consistently screwed up. It can’t be that hard, fix it!

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I didn’t realize Mark was a software engineer!

• scmargenau - Aug 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM

It’s his blog. He’s accountable. It’s is quite annoying and is a simple fix to a comment module.

86. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Huge 4th run.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Diekman should get an earful for strolling in toward home plate, conceding the run.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Great point. I also liked Werth’s secondary lead.

87. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Cowboy monkey rodeo!

88. dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM

and that’s why the phillies are last…continuing years of no bullpen

89. adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Sandberg is standing around saying WTF? I gotta say — Ryno made the right moves, imho. Giles was unhittable before today. Etc.

90. scnatsfan - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Have to love Carp. Even Harpers strikeout was a good thing.

91. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Great. What am I going to do with this bag of navel lint?

92. adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I would have saved Soriano till tomorrow

93. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Who can read lips? MW and Cat in a spirited conversation.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:23 PM

o u 1

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I think it was “Why isn’t Det coming in? You have a slew of lefties.”

94. dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM

is that MW shaking off Cat while pointing to the field…who knows but maybe not impressed with using Sori with a 4 run lead ??

95. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Lucky BABIP there. Ball scolded by JRoll.

96. Section 222 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Second straight non-save situation for Sori, and he could finish this game. Nats must be confident that he’s far enough away from vesting his option.

97. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Get on up!

98. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Lol, nice LaRoche….. Nice

99. Joe Seamhead - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Eat that, Freddie Freeman! Great play, ALR!

100. stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Get Howard. Don’t want to see Byrd.

• stoatva - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Dude, you can’t take that pitch.

Untuck!

• thelatencn - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM

No untuck. Not a save situation.

101. TimDz - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Give Adam some barley…. let him add that to his hops to make some brews…..

102. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Great Nats win. Strasburg and Span the stars today.

103. adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Soriano pitched that inning without needing any of his fielders except for ALR ;-)

(Tangent: so much for those comments that Soriano can’t pitch in a non-save situation . . . )

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM

he can pitch but why ?

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM

but hey…2 shutout games

• adcwonk - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I guess the theory was that he was already warm. But, presumably, so was Stammen. I’d have rather used the latter.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:34 PM

makes sense

104. Eric - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Can y’all believe Sori didn’t smile at LaRoche when giving him props on the Utley lineout? I mean, you could argue he owed him a blown kiss, but at least a smile was due. Terrible teammate؟

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Have you ever seen Soriano smile. Have you ever seen Werth and LaRoche in the same room with ZZtop.

• dcwx61 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM

whoops sorry, i missed the backward question mark.

105. natszee - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Great performance today! Long over due.