Aug 4, 2014, 5:19 PM EST
There’s something about July that seems to bring the best out of Jayson Werth. The Nationals right fielder was named NL Player of the Month on Monday, the second consecutive July he has earned the award.
Werth hit .337 with 11 doubles, six homers, 24 RBI and a 1.133 OPS while also leading the league with six game-winning RBI. Along the way, he raised his season batting average 15 points (from .266 to .281) while raising his season OPS 90 points (from .719 to .809).
Werth beat out several contenders for the monthly award, including teammate Denard Span (who hit .368 with 19 runs scored), Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo (.308, eight homers) and Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig (.351, 17 extra-base hits).
This is the second straight year Werth has won NL Player of the Month honors in July. Last year, he ended the month with a .367 batting average, seven homers and 22 RBI.
Werth remains the only Nationals position player to win a Player of the Month award in the club’s 10 seasons in the District. Chad Cordero (June 2005), Stephen Strasburg (April 2012), Gio Gonzalez (May 2012) and Jordan Zimmermann (July 2012) previously won NL Pitcher of the Month honors.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'