Aug 4, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
There’s something about July that seems to bring the best out of Jayson Werth. The Nationals right fielder was named NL Player of the Month on Monday, the second consecutive July he has earned the award.
Werth hit .337 with 11 doubles, six homers, 24 RBI and a 1.133 OPS while also leading the league with six game-winning RBI. Along the way, he raised his season batting average 15 points (from .266 to .281) while raising his season OPS 90 points (from .719 to .809).
Werth beat out several contenders for the monthly award, including teammate Denard Span (who hit .368 with 19 runs scored), Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo (.308, eight homers) and Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig (.351, 17 extra-base hits).
This is the second straight year Werth has won NL Player of the Month honors in July. Last year, he ended the month with a .367 batting average, seven homers and 22 RBI.
Werth remains the only Nationals position player to win a Player of the Month award in the club’s 10 seasons in the District. Chad Cordero (June 2005), Stephen Strasburg (April 2012), Gio Gonzalez (May 2012) and Jordan Zimmermann (July 2012) previously won NL Pitcher of the Month honors.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cubs' farm team trolls Nats, Wizards after walk-off win
- Nationals lose tough one on walk-off vs. Cubs
- Bryce Harper still doesn't think he's MLB's best
- Nats go for 2 in a row at Wrigley
- Marlins players fail to show up at charity event
- Cubs manager Joe Maddon doesn't get criticism of Bryce Harper
- The Baseball Show: Time to sign Harper to an extension?
- Mets Matt Harvey may be dealing with 'dead arm'
- As Nationals soar, so does dominant Storen
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1