Aug 4, 2014, 5:19 PM EST
There’s something about July that seems to bring the best out of Jayson Werth. The Nationals right fielder was named NL Player of the Month on Monday, the second consecutive July he has earned the award.
Werth hit .337 with 11 doubles, six homers, 24 RBI and a 1.133 OPS while also leading the league with six game-winning RBI. Along the way, he raised his season batting average 15 points (from .266 to .281) while raising his season OPS 90 points (from .719 to .809).
Werth beat out several contenders for the monthly award, including teammate Denard Span (who hit .368 with 19 runs scored), Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo (.308, eight homers) and Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig (.351, 17 extra-base hits).
This is the second straight year Werth has won NL Player of the Month honors in July. Last year, he ended the month with a .367 batting average, seven homers and 22 RBI.
Werth remains the only Nationals position player to win a Player of the Month award in the club’s 10 seasons in the District. Chad Cordero (June 2005), Stephen Strasburg (April 2012), Gio Gonzalez (May 2012) and Jordan Zimmermann (July 2012) previously won NL Pitcher of the Month honors.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president