Aug 5, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
The Nationals placed Wilson Ramos on the paternity leave list and recalled fellow catcher Sandy Leon from Class AAA Syracuse to take a roster spot after Ramos’ wife gave birth to the couple’s first child.
Ramos’ wife, Yeli, gave birth Tuesday morning to a baby girl in the Washington area. Her husband left Nationals Park following last night’s 7-3 loss to the Orioles receiving handshakes and well-wishes from teammates and others before heading home to join his family.
MLB’s paternity leave list allows players to take up to three days off for the birth of their children and allows clubs to add a replacement player on the big-league roster during that time.
Ramos, who is hitting .290 with a .340 on-base percentage, three homers and 25 RBI in 49 games, is expected to miss the Nationals’ entire 3-game series against the Mets but return Friday for the start of a weekend series in Atlanta.
Leon rejoins the Nationals for the third time this season, having been called up twice previously when Ramos, 26, was placed on the disabled list. The 25-year-old was hitting .212 in 34 games at Syracuse.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?