Aug 5, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
The Nationals placed Wilson Ramos on the paternity leave list and recalled fellow catcher Sandy Leon from Class AAA Syracuse to take a roster spot after Ramos’ wife gave birth to the couple’s first child.
Ramos’ wife, Yeli, gave birth Tuesday morning to a baby girl in the Washington area. Her husband left Nationals Park following last night’s 7-3 loss to the Orioles receiving handshakes and well-wishes from teammates and others before heading home to join his family.
MLB’s paternity leave list allows players to take up to three days off for the birth of their children and allows clubs to add a replacement player on the big-league roster during that time.
Ramos, who is hitting .290 with a .340 on-base percentage, three homers and 25 RBI in 49 games, is expected to miss the Nationals’ entire 3-game series against the Mets but return Friday for the start of a weekend series in Atlanta.
Leon rejoins the Nationals for the third time this season, having been called up twice previously when Ramos, 26, was placed on the disabled list. The 25-year-old was hitting .212 in 34 games at Syracuse.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate