Aug 5, 2014, 2:02 PM EST
The Nationals placed Wilson Ramos on the paternity leave list and recalled fellow catcher Sandy Leon from Class AAA Syracuse to take a roster spot after Ramos’ wife gave birth to the couple’s first child.
Ramos’ wife, Yeli, gave birth Tuesday morning to a baby girl in the Washington area. Her husband left Nationals Park following last night’s 7-3 loss to the Orioles receiving handshakes and well-wishes from teammates and others before heading home to join his family.
MLB’s paternity leave list allows players to take up to three days off for the birth of their children and allows clubs to add a replacement player on the big-league roster during that time.
Ramos, who is hitting .290 with a .340 on-base percentage, three homers and 25 RBI in 49 games, is expected to miss the Nationals’ entire 3-game series against the Mets but return Friday for the start of a weekend series in Atlanta.
Leon rejoins the Nationals for the third time this season, having been called up twice previously when Ramos, 26, was placed on the disabled list. The 25-year-old was hitting .212 in 34 games at Syracuse.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- David Price breaks Max Scherzer's record with contract
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers