Bleary-eyed Nats prevail in “Midnight Madness” win

Aug 10, 2014, 3:46 AM EDT

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

ATLANTA — The digital clock at Turner Field read 2:29 a.m., and the impressive remaining number of the 36,832 fans who were in the park way back when this game was originally supposed to start made their way to the exits, exhausted and disgusted.

Behind the third base dugout, though, were a handful of Nationals fans celebrating the night away. And on the field, then later in the visitors clubhouse, there were a bunch of ballplayers whooping it up and enjoying perhaps their grittiest victory of the season, a 4-1, 11-inning triumph over the Braves in a game that didn’t begin until nearly 11 p.m. thanks to a steady rain that fell most of the evening.

“It was very cool, actually,” Bryce Harper said. “It was like midnight madness, I guess you could say. It was pretty cool to be able to do that. Of course you don’t want to play until 3 o’clock. That’s pretty rough. But thankfully we have an 8:05 ESPN game tomorrow night. So hopefully we can get some rest tonight.”

The Nationals certainly will sleep in Sunday morning before heading back to the park for the nationally televised finale of this series. They’ll do so feeling much better about themselves than they would have had they lost this marathon game and allowed the Braves to creep to within 2 1/2 games of the NL East lead.

Instead, the Nats lead the division by 4 1/2 games after overcoming the physical and mental hurdles involved in this one.

“It’s more mental, probably,” manager Matt Williams said. “Because the longer you go, the more you get into shutdown mode. But they’ve been doing this all year. Regardless of situation of game, or delays or anything like that, they’re ready to play. So I’m proud of them.”

Though they were on the field warming up and ready to go for the scheduled 7:10 p.m. first pitch, both teams retreated to their clubhouses when the tarp was rolled out only seven minutes earlier, with rain not yet falling but expected. By the time the precipitation subsided and the field was prepared for play, it was 10:51 p.m.

How unusual was that?

“Eh, I’ve done this before,” said Kevin Frandsen, who recalled playing a 1 a.m. game in a college tournament in Wichita, Kan. “But usually when you start that late, you’re continuing the game. You’re not starting a game then. It is weird, but at the same time, I thought it was fun.”

Both teams’ pitching staffs tried to make this as unpleasant an exercise as possible, with Tanner Roark and Aaron Harang each going seven innings and allowing only one run. The bullpens then dueled to a stand-off for three more innings.

And then, in the top of the 11th, with the clock past 2 a.m., there was a breakthrough at last. Anthony Rendon and Adam LaRoche singled off Braves right-hander David Carpenter. After Ian Desmond lined out to left, Atlanta manager Fredi Gonzalez summoned left-hander James Russell to face Harper in a key spot.

Harper, as it’s well-known, has been searching at the plate for weeks. But throughout his struggles, he has shown impressive patience, drawing walks when given nothing to hit. Which he did again in this key spot, taking his free pass and loading the bases with one out.

“Bryce’s at-bat was awesome,” Frandsen said. “It’s the 11th inning, you want to get it over with. And he didn’t budge, and that was awesome. It set up everything.”

With Wilson Ramos now at the plate, Gonzalez made his second post-2 a.m., mid-inning pitching change, calling upon right-hander Anthony Varvaro. Ramos (who turned 27 when the clock struck midnight in the top of the fifth) wasted no time, lacing the first pitch he saw up the middle to drive in the go-ahead run.

Moments later, Frandsen added a 2-run double, giving Rafael Soriano a comfortable cushion for the bottom of the 11th and sending the Nationals to a victory that must have left them physically and emotionally drained by night’s end.

“It’s not hard,” insisted Ramos, who on Tuesday welcomed the birth of his first daughter. “No, if you want to play, you play 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 innings. I love this game, and I like to play. When you like to play, you can play a lot of innings.”

Even at 2 a.m.?

“Yeah,” he said. “And it’s my birthday, too. So it’s a good time, a good gift. This year, I get my best gift, my daughter. I’m really happy for that.”

1. stoatva - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:56 AM

Wait… they played the game???

2. TimDz - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:47 AM

Not that we should count out a Sunday night win, but winning tonight ensures the Nats leave Atlanta with at LEAST a 3 1/2 game lead ast he barves head into the teeth of their schedule….

Shark week isn’t only on the Discovery Channel, right, Atlanta?

3. coollikelivo - Aug 10, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Great news to wake up to. Now go in for the kill tonite!

4. natsfan1a - Aug 10, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Agreed, nice to have a happy game results email in the in-box. Props for those who stayed up to watch it. My DVR probably didn’t get it all. Bummer.

5. laddieblahblah - Aug 10, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Watched almost the whole thing. Roark was masterful, and the pen untouchable. Except for Strasburg’s bizarre performance on Friday night, the Nats’ staff has held the Braves to 1 run over the last 15 innings.

The Nats finally got some hits with RISP, from Ramos and Frandsen, in the top of the 11th. The Nats did it without Ryan, without Werth (except for a PH appearance after all the runs had already scored), and without Souza. ALR kept them in the game with a solo shot HR off Harang that stood up until Roark gave up a sac fly with the bases loaded a couple of innings later.

During the game, the broadcast booth announced that Michael Taylor had been pulled from the lineup at Syracuse, and implied that either Werth or Souza might go on the DL, but Matt made no mention of that in his post-game presser.

That was a team win, with contributions from almost everyone, but especially from Ramos and Frandsen when hits counted the most, and from everyone on the staff who took the mound last night.

6. wmlsays - Aug 10, 2014 at 7:39 AM

As much as yesterday’s Strasburg debacle was upsetting, this team win was fantastic and may be indicative of the toughness that MW is instilling on the team.

7. MicheleS - Aug 10, 2014 at 7:39 AM

I can’t believe I am awake already. Geesh that was a nail biter last night. Oh and Happy Birthday Wilson, I bet that Hit to get a game winning RBI was a great present

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2014 at 7:56 AM

I know what you mean about being awake already. I had a heck of a time getting to sleep after the game, but here I am awake at my normal time. That was a one for the books last night! Actually this morning. The bullpen was just spectacular, ending with Rafael Soriano pitching a fantastic bottom of the 11th. Fredi Gonzalez cannot be very popular in Atlanta this morning, after the way the Braves bullpen gave it up in the top of the 11th after so many hours. I hope he ends up looking worse after tonight’s nationally televised game!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM

“Ghost of Steve M. – Aug 10, 2014 at 3:41 AM
        Pujols wallkoff in the 19th”

I stayed up for another hour and got 6 hours sleep.

8. natsfan1a - Aug 10, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Yah, I didn’t bracket long enough. Should have set the DVR for longer before I went to bed. Oh, wait. I can always watch the replay on MASN! Let’s see here (scrolls through schedule), darts – from the UK?, golf, and more golf…hmmm…must be showing it later. Let’s see (more scrolling) golf, thoroughbreds, and – the dumbest things on wheels? What the h-e-double-hockeysticks? Thanks a lot, Mr. A. Thanks a lot. grrr… Eh, I’ll catch it on Nats Classics. Maybe…

9. Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Speaking of not being very popular in Atlanta this morning, Bryce Harper seems to be purposely doing his share to antagonize the Braves faithful:

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Check out the video:

• NatsLady - Aug 10, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Yes, saw it at the time! Good for him. Nice response to the chopping.

• Another_Sam - Aug 10, 2014 at 8:31 AM

If this logo thing is a story line from this game we all need to get lives. Haha.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2014 at 8:54 AM

I’m a little wouldn’t this morning after hosting a long dinner party/drink-fest yesterday and staying up for the whole game, but as I often do, I read the AJC after Braves losses.Harper gets booed heartily in Atlanta with great regularity, and last night was no exception. The antic of the foot-dragging across their emblem is indicative of how immature Bryce still can act, but he does seem to dwell on the negative energy from the opposing fans. Now, if he could only remember how many outs there are when running the bases.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2014 at 8:55 AM

oops EDIT: I’m a little wounded this morning

• zmunchkin - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

James Wagner asked Harper about it. He apparently had no idea.

10. Another_Sam - Aug 10, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Count me among the fair weather fans who went to sleep thinking rainout. Great news to wake up to this. Lol

11. natsfan1a - Aug 10, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Eh, that’s a downside to the interwebz, imho. Somebody makes a video, does a blog post, and everybody gets all het up – over an “A”? Whatever. Hope nobody gets into a plunk fest over the alphabet.

12. Section 222 - Aug 10, 2014 at 8:46 AM

What’s really impressive is that Mark did this post at 3:46 am. Above and beyond.

• natsfan1a - Aug 10, 2014 at 8:47 AM

He just keep grindin’ them out.

13. Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2014 at 8:59 AM

It’s funny reading the difference between the two team’s players reaction to the long delay and subsequent late start to the game. The Braves were upset and felt like the delay took the wind out of their sails after winning Friday night. The Nats all said it was kind of fun.

• Section 222 - Aug 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM

And if the game had gone the other way, I’m sure the reactions would have been switched. Can you imagine Harper saying “it was kind of fun” if we had lost?

14. Section 222 - Aug 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I want to sincerely apologize to Mark and all my brethren. I’m out of town, got back to my hotel around 11 and was kind of happy to learn that the game had just started. So I watched on my laptop, and I watched and I watched, until a little before 2 pm. Then I had the radio on the MLB app going, and the last thing I remember was Bryce’s walk. Dave (or was it Charlie?) informed me that Fredi was bringing in Varvaro to pitch to Ramos. The next thing I knew, I woke up to hear Sori get the last out. Wait, what?

So clearly, all it took to end this game was me dozing off. Sorry it took so long folks.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2014 at 9:30 AM

And he pitched a fine bottom of the 11th for the save, though I’m sure somewhere someone is saying that he shouldn’t have let that guy hit the ball where it could hit a divot and take a vicious hop on ALR. He basically got 4 outs for the save.

• natsfan1a - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Okay, your bedtime for tonight is 11 pm. No, make it 10:30. ;-)

15. Theophilus T.S. - Aug 10, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Wilson Ramos gets the Ernie Banks “Let’s Play Two!” award. His consistently upbeat attitude is making him one of my favorite Nats.

16. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Off-topic. Has anyone used the “Panda Parking” system? I got an email from MLB, and it looks like you can get parking for $8. That’s not much more than going on the Metro. Any problems/feedback?

• stoatva - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I have not, but will definitely check it out later this month. With half of the curly w lot having disappeared, things are getting tight, parkingwise

17. Nats fool - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM

So impressed with Roark in the 6th. Even with bases loaded and no outs, he did not give in. He got a little unlucky with Heywards broken bat, but that was Roark’s pitch. He moved it around the zone. Go back and take a look at how fooled Gattis was. He has the makeup to be a Cy Young candidate if he continues to work on his stuff.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Good comments. I did the same in the Postgame. He bent but didn’t break. Was I happy with the leadoff walk? NO, but he minimized the mess he made. It personally cost him the W but like I say the team W is what counts.

• micksback1 - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM

So Ghost, here is my question to you, right now, would Tanner be in the post season rotation?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM

A few weeks ago I posted the rotation as
        1. Fister 2. JZim 3. Roark 4. Gio 5. Stras

but I said if it were the playoff I go with Stras as my #4. With the AL having the home field advantage, that’s perfect as Roark and Stras would both pitch in DC where they are much better.

CJ Nitkowski a day or 2 later posted the exact same thing I wrote.

• npb99 - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Responding to Ghost’s 11:11 comment. Isn’t the Stras question really whether you can use him in DC or not? He’s very good at home, not so one the road. No way he should start any playoff game on the road this year.
        The odd-man out these days might be Gio, based on his erratic performances, but maybe there’s value in having a lefty in the rotation just to mix things up. Better baseball minds than I could opine on that.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM

That’s my feeling with regards to Stras. I think that it has to be set up with Fister for game 1. In a 5 game series you might not use Stras at all until a 7 game series and then set it up for Stras at home.

18. micksback1 - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I did indeed stay up. My lab top ran out of power in the 6th and I could not find the old charger, thats why I could not join the early morning celebration. last night was the first chance I had to see Thornton, I am impressed.
    Corona Lights and late night baseball, its all good!
    I actually felt sorry for the Braves reliever they picked up from the Cubs, did the barves fans actually boo him as he entered the game?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:01 PM

LMAO, no, they were boo’ing Harper. It was classic as the boo’ing started they were showing Russell coming into the game.

• 6ID20 - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM

They weren’t booing the reliever, they were booing Harper. It’s FP’s running joke that whenever they start booing Harper they’re really booing something else. The rain. The reliever. Whatever.

19. nats128 - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM

This was one of my favorite plays since I fell asleep with the TV on and now going thru the high lights.

Look at those lazy AS$ Upton bros going after Spans double turned triple. It wasnt like it was in the rightfield gap in San Francisco.

• micksback1 - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM

I am not impressed with BJ Upton at all, Span puts him to shame. it seems like he is generally disinterested in hustling

• nats128 - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:20 AM

As noted last night when it happened that the Rays benched him for doing the same ting in Tampa.

20. realdealnats - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM

I too fell asleep with a laptop on my stomach after the Nat’s 10th up here on the Cape. Might have been my unconscious win/win strategy figuring to avoid one of those obnoxious Braves’ casually racist chop chop wins that have bitten us for the last couple years vs waking up delightedly surprised in the morning. BUT my long view and feeling has been, and predicted here, that we’ll be in the catbirid’s seat by October with these guys (Atlanta) b/c everything runs its course and we are the better team for the second year in a row. And I would not want to be them feeling their mojo running out at just the wrong time of the season which is the way this will play out. I really think we will dominate this post season. Despite the injury bug still afflicting us.

Re: Bryce. I laid into him over the Span affair when he came back and threw his teammate under the bus imo. But I have always liked the guy. Whether his thumb is still recovering or it was just a stinger type pain last night, I think his batting woes are very tied into this latest injury. And like the long view I’ve taken vs the Braves, I really do believe when Bryce finally hits his stride he is going to be something else in terms of elite. The hype, his age, the flip side of his strengths that results in running into walls etc–he’s getting all that out of the way at an early age. His Ty Cobb sort of edge is fine with me just as long as it doesn’t get in the way of his playing the game. Translation: swipe your foot vs remembering how many outs there are. But he’ll be more than fine and sooner than later.

I was also one of the guys who groused about Soriano being a 9th inning smoke and mirrors guy back in April. Not going to apologize yet b/c I don’t want to jinx what has developed into a really strong season for the man.

• nats128 - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Me to realdelnats. Also agree on the “racist chop chop”. Cue the racist music and get those redneck drunks choping.

• realdealnats - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I was at a Nats-Braves game a couple of years ago and and they started with the chop chop stuff. I honestly can’t remember now whether they were doing it silently or humming along, but the guy behind me in a very laid back tenor voice started singing “Casual racism…” then he took a swig of beer and kept talking to his friend.

21. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:07 AM

If you have the MLB package, watch the Atlanta broadcast. I didn’t realize in the 5th inning at midnight the Barves were doing the wave.

Barves comments about Rendon “Eager to swing early in the count”. Lots and lots of negative comments on Bryce Harper and never complimentary of Roark almost thinking he is just lucky. Then we get to hear FP talking about the great crowd in Atlanta at least twice in the broadcast and was never critical of Barves even when they made poor plays.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

The Barves were very critical of Span’s slow paced at-bat in the 11th that his slow approach is “what kills the interest in the game for the fans”. Laughable.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Best comments of the night was in the bottom of the 11th when the grounder bounced up and hit LaRoche in the chest. They talked about the hustle at 2:30AM of Phil Cuzzi the umpire “HUSTLING” into position to make the call. No mention of Soriano hustling to cover or Cabrera hustling to backup the play.

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM

As a Nats fan, I’m usually riveted by Span’s ABs.

I imagine opposition fans’ interest is killee moreso by his relentless march to base than his plate approach, but whatever helps em sleep at night works for me ;)

• realdealnats - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Said last month when there was talk of Span being dealt that he’ll be with us for the next couple years. Gladly so. A pro’s pro: all year defensively; mid-July through September offensively. Hopefully this year he’ll be an offensive all-pro throughout October.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I have a long memory and have to be fair. He’s the star of the team for the last 2 1/2 months but prior to that, not so much when his OBP on May 19 was .287 and now .359

His defense in that May series in Pittsburgh where he let that ball fall between him and Werth was a turning point in the season. Span now is an aggressive CF and takes charge as he should. His defense has stepped up to elite level.

The difference on offense is Span hitting down on balls instead of getting under balls.

This is the player that Rizzo traded a top prospect for.

Keep it up Denard.

• 6ID20 - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM

That was an impressive number of Braves fans who waited out the rain delay and hung in til the end. You’d never have that many in DC. Mainly due to Metro.

• natinalsgo - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Not true. I guess you don’t ride Metro. Metro stays open until 3AM on the weekends and midnight during the week. Last night was a weekend which means 3AM.

I bet Nats would have more fans at that game as you get there and wait it out.

By the way, there wasn’t more than a few dozen in the upper decks. You could hear the echos in that place.

• 6ID20 - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:26 PM

You clearly don’t live in DC. Late night Metro service exists in theory only. Weekend Metro “service” is an oxymoron. No one would stay at Nats Park hoping to catch a post-midnight Metro train home.

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I used to regularly (probably 3 or 4 times a month) ride metro at 3 a.m., or close to it, on weekends once they expanded weekend hours a number of years ago. I’ve also done so a couple times the last couple of years.

Is that no longer possible?

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Here’s the Navy Yard details, including first and last trains:

“Last Trains
        Trains leave exactly 3 hours later on Friday and Saturday nights.
        Branch Ave – 12:17 AM
        Greenbelt – 11:39 PM (No Red Line Transfer Possible)”

So that’s 2:39 am if you’re going to Greenbelt and 3:17 a.m. if you’re going to Branch Ave. In general, the closer you are to the end of the line, the later the Last Train rime.

The waits can be long late, but if you time it right (the app is great for that), it’s a truly painless option.

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM

PS – it’s trickier, but still pretty easy, if you have to transfer, which I don’t.

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:10 PM

That dynamic is fine with me. Let them sound bitter.

22. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Bryce should just should wear it and be proud of it and say it “I did it. So what?” Bam!

“@AdamKilgoreWP: Bryce Harper should use his bat to draw a big heart around the Braves’ ‘A’ logo before his first at-bat tonight. http://t.co/M43P8MNIR8

• nats128 - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM

• Doc - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Good going Bryce!

Imagine how the place would have lit up, if Harps had spit on the ‘A’!!!!

There would have been nothing left of Turner Field except broken cement and hot dog wrappers.

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:11 PM

+2 to Kilgore!

• natinalsgo - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I have great memories of that Eagles wide receiver Owens who ran out to the Dallas Cowboys star at mid-field and posed on it and got into a fight.

Barves fans disrespect Harper. He gave a little disrespect back. He should learn from Owens, own it. Make it into a war. Make them pay for it by hitting bombs.

• stoatva - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I’d like Bryce to pick someone other than T.O. as a role model, personally.

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I mean, I wouldn’t generally encourage this kind of thing, but, for instance, Werth strealing the Phanatic mobile was pretty funny. Drawing a heart around the ‘A’–or engaging in any other antics–during the game admittedly would be a bit much. But, I’d laugh if the heart thing happened as boos rained down.

• natsfan1a - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Seriously, it’s not like he trashed the field or something. Wait, what?

23. Theophilus T.S. - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Gonzalez (their Gonzalez) has used his two BP aces two nights in a row. Not sure that will keep him from using them both again tonight but at least they won’t be well-rested.

24. Theophilus T.S. - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM

C. Jones and McCann were the glue/character guys that held the team together. Freeman and Heyward seem to be slow working into the role. Heyward must feel alienated watching the Uptons in the field.

• natinalsgo - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM

That’s what the critics are saying that there is no clubhouse leader there since McCann left and before that was Chipper.

• natinalsgo - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Do you remember when Evan Longoria scolded BJ Upton in the Tampa dugout. Do you think anyone pulled BJ or Justin aside on Span’s triple? Doubt it. Glad Charlie & Dave didn’t miss that play.

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM

That was gratuitous. What possesses one to engage in that kind of lollygagging?

• natinalsgo - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM

They almost seem disinterested at times. Atlanta has many problems. Clubhouse issues can tear a team apart.

25. Theophilus T.S. - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Somebody on MLBtraderumors reports they nearly traded BJ Upton and others at the trade deadline for the purpose of shaking up the clubhouse, then pulled back because they thought they weren’t getting enough in return. Haven’t they ever heard of addition by subtraction?

• NatsLady - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Good grief. With his salary if they’d gotten a used car for him they should have grabbed it.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM

That’s true. FOX reported that however the trade didn’t work as the other team wanted too much cash to complete the deal.

Lets face it, they know BJ Upton was a huge mistake.

• rayvil01 - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I didn’t see this before I repeated it in the new post. Bowden was saying they were offering Mike Minor as a sweetener to get rid of BJ.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I didn’t hear that. I knew they were offering pitchers and a spare infielder.

How do you not take that deal even if you have to eat 75% of BJ Upton’s entire contract? It’s better than DFA’ing him.

Big mistake by Wren. Did he say who the trading partner was? I heard it was Houston.

26. David Proctor - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Zach Walters is playing LF for Cleveland today

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:17 PM

There you go. Probably his best position when he gets enough reps there as it takes time. Nats kind of blew it in not recognizing quickly that infield probably would never work. I made that judgment when I saw him in the AZ Fall League.

• stoatva - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:18 PM

grumble grumble

• stoatva - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM

He will lead off the second. Tribe scored one in the first against Kuroda.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Ouch. Nats know how they feel when Nats lost JZim to TJ then Strasburg.

27. stoatva - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Zach didn’t look like he was enjoying Kuroda’s splitter. K.