Braves upset at Harper for smudging dirt logo

Aug 10, 2014, 1:31 PM EST

AP AP

ATLANTA — As if they didn’t have enough to worry about following a 4-1, 11-inning loss that ended at 2:29 a.m. and left them closer to fourth place than first place in the NL East, the Braves now are upset at Bryce Harper for smudging the dirt “A” logo they place behind home plate at Turner Field.

The club’s official Twitter account posted a not-so-subtle message during the game:

As he made his way to the plate for at least his first two at-bats of the evening, Harper appeared to drag his foot across the dirt logo, smudging it slightly. Atlanta’s television broadcast showed a slow-motion replay of the “incident” as announcers chided the 21-year-old outfielder and noted how this “just endears himself to more Braves fans.”

After the game, Harper said he had not intentionally done the maneuver and insisted he didn’t even realize what he had done until shown the video by a Nationals employee.

“That’s the last thing on my mind when I’m walking up to the plate,” he said. “I really had no idea. When he came up to me, I had no clue that I did anything. Seriously, that’s the last thing on my mind going to face [Aaron] Harang or [Craig] Kimbrel or somebody like that. I had no idea why that was such a big deal. Of course, that’s the last thing on my mind.”

Harper has been robustly booed at Turner Field since reaching the majors two seasons ago, the dislike only intensifying in the last year after he was twice plunked by Braves pitchers, leading to a beanball war that got Stephen Strasburg and Davey Johnson ejected from a game.

The Braves went so far Saturday night as to show a “Bad Lip Sync” montage between innings in which various MLB players’ voices were dubbed over saying nonsensical things. The final clip showed Harper talking, with a girl’s voice dubbed over him.

1. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM

2. Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:37 PM

What kind of tasteless, classless jackels run this organization? What kind of crowd boos a guy for no reason, then boos him harder after he is intentionally plunked by their own team’s pitcher?

Will they cheer if a pitch behind catches him in the cheek?

This ‘A smudging’ thing is to tonight’s plunking as ‘WMD’ was to the Iraq invasion.

• stoatva - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Gulf of Tonkin!

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Good one

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Whole abhorrent, at least that was in response to an actual play on the field that had actual meaning…

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Oops, that was supposed to be in response to MNF below…

• NatsLady - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:45 PM

They’re getting close to DBack’s territory if they plunk Harper tonight for that.

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Can’t say I’d mind if both managers received warnings in advance.

• pdowdy83 - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM

To me that would put them ahead of the DBacks in the ignorance category. The Barves are a whiny lot and it is so annoying.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Same fans that litter the field to delay the game for 20 minutes.

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Copied from misplaced post above:
        While abhorrent, at least that was in response to an actual play on the field.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM

You know they are going to throw behind Bryce tonight.

How many times did Sheriff McCann order a HBP on Bryce last year

• rayvil01 - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I thought that silliness ended with McCann going to the Yankees.

If I were in an ATL uniform I’d be ticked off if the team hit Harper and distracted focus from winning a very important game. If the Nats get out of town with a 5.5 game lead and the Dodgers/A’s are coming in I wouldn’t want to have wasted energy on some BS over a supposed slight.

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:09 PM

+1 rayvil01

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I guess we will see won’t we.

• rayvil01 - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I imagine so. Can’t imagine Gio retaliating if it comes to that.

3. veejh - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:51 PM

This makes me love Harper even more.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Only thing nicer would be if Soriano had done a tomahawk chop before he untucked.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Veejh, a big +1

4. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:51 PM

And the chop thing that Braves fans do? That’s respecting whom again?

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Daniel Snyder? To me it is worse then the name Redskins, but no one in the press say nothing.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Been saying that for a long time.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Nothing worse than Os and Caps fans that scream during the National Anthem.

5. manassasnatsfan - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:51 PM

When you worry about this kind of BS, you can’t concentrate on the game.

• veejh - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM

It sounds like what he did worked.

6. Doc - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:54 PM

They started it, Bryce can finish it!

If they had booed me and hit me with pitches, I do more than drag my feet over their ‘A’——none of them which are printable here.

Harps should hit 3 HRs to-night———–that’ll keep ‘em quiet!

• veejh - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:56 PM

He’s really gonna get boo’ed tonight.

• rayvil01 - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Some players feed on that. I haven’t seen where it bothers him.

7. mauimo22 - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:57 PM

#Eff the A

Whiny Barves and their whiny poor-sport fans. What a bunch of wussies.

8. coollikelivo - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM

This will certainly help the national TV ratings for tonite! All the more reason we need to smack em hard. How about another 13-0, or 11-0, 10-3, or 9-2 game to completely demoralize and embarrass them before the whole country!

• stoatva - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM

You know ESPN is gonna be all over it.

• Eugene in Oregon - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Especially if they can find a LeBron James angle to it…

• veejh - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:09 PM

LeBron is the golden child again. Didn’t you hear?

• Eugene in Oregon - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Oh yes, I heard. And heard and heard and heard…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:45 PM

9. Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I’m not sure putting people through a wood chipper is quite justified here…
    ;)

• Drew - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Actually, that’s Chipper Jones and Alex Wood.

Unless you’re into the Marge Gunderson thing.

10. zmunchkin - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Someone needs to remind the Braves that respect is earned.

And you don’t earn it by throwing at a players head, booing a player who is slow to get up due to an injury or giving a standing ovation to a pitcher ejected from the game for hitting batters.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Very true. Bryce should have said that in an interview.

11. adcwonk - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM

All fun ‘n games.

It’s awesome to have a real rivalry, when what underlies it is that both teams are good and tough.

Even though the Braves lost eight straight, they ain’t no pushovers. They do have holes in their lineup, but, face it: they have a darn good rotation and a fairly deep bullpen.

Baseball at it’s finest: two good teams battling on the baseball diamond fighting for first place.

I love this.

(On the road to OBX)

• rayvil01 - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Jim Bowden was reporting this morning on MLB radio that the Braves were looking to dump BJ before the trade deadline. They were dangling a starting pitcher (Mike Minor was mentioned) as bait along with eating some of the contract. No takers. $37 Mill with 3 years left. Nobody is touching that. I think I saw OBrien post that he had a 50% strikeout rate over the last 40 ABs or something like that. Stupid bad.

• adcwonk - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Why do they keep batting him lead off?

12. veejh - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I sure would love to see St Louis miss the playoffs this season.

13. adcwonk - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Uh oh Mets?

————
    Seeing doctor:

“DeGrom indicated he felt soreness at the top of the shoulder Friday, the day after facing the Nationals in D.C., then again Saturday throwing on flat ground.”

• adcwonk - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I meant to include: DeGrom is missing his next start

14. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Tigers are going to try Robbie Ray again.

15. unkyd59 - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM

What do I like most about this thread? None of us getting on Harp for (possibly) dragging his foot over some stupid “A” scratched in the dirt… Barves Nation is renowned as a bunch of poor sports, with many proofs of this already mentioned, here. I hope they pitch to him tonight, and the tape measure gets a good workout!!!

GYFNGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!!!!!!!

(Hey… Where’s Gilbert Arenas hiding out, these days? I’ll betcha for a dollar he’d leave a “present” on that “A”, while nobody’s looking…..)

Oops!!! Was that my “out loud” voice?

• scmargenau - Aug 11, 2014 at 6:01 AM

TO — DALLAS STAR. Incident comes to mind.

16. David Proctor - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:26 PM

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP 2m
    Michael Taylor is at Turner Field sporting a slick high top fade, walking the outfield & taking photos. Still not sure of corresponding move

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Souza to the DL. I’m very surprised as sending him back to AAA on an option gives you more flexibility to bring him back quicker.

• Eugene in Oregon - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I wondered the same thing, especially since he pinch ran last night. I should know this, but do AAA teams have an active roster limit?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:50 PM

They do have a limit but who cares as that roster is loaded with deadwood filler.

• zmunchkin - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Repeating a post I made in the article about Taylor being called up:

I wonder if the Nats are setting things up so they have lots of options for the post-season. If they put Souza on the DL and both he and McClouth stay on the DL until Sep 1, Taylor, Souza and McClouth are eligible to be on the post-season 25 man roster. And it can be changed between each series.

Perhaps they want to maximize their match-up options.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Z, if you are on the 40 man roster before Sept 1st, you are eligible for the post-season roster.

• zmunchkin - Aug 10, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Don’t think so. I checked the rules earlier today. And only players on the 25 man roster or the DL (but not the 60 day DL) at midnight Aug 31 are eligible.

One exception is anyone on the 40 man roster on Aug 31 can replace someone who goes on the DL during a series. It is not clear, but I think the player who is DLed has to go to the 60 day DL in order to do that.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Maybe that’s how they move players back using the DL which might be why McLouth and Souza to the DL is being used so they are eligible. How do you get Barrett and Treinen eligible then using the rules without a post-season injury.

• Eugene in Oregon - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Someone’s gotta explain to me what a “slick high top fade” is — haircut, shoe style, something else?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I imagine a “slick high top fade” is not a pair of faded high top Chuck Taylors.

• Eugene in Oregon - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Exactly. But what is it?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I just read it’s a haircut with a design sculpted in the hair. What does that mean.

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM

It’s really just an extreme flat top. The design is usually on the side/and or back of the head, created by using the corner of the trimmer to create lines. I posted a pic in response to Eugene’s original question.

Simple example of what is meant by design is the two lines Ramos has on his temple atm. It can be quite extravagant.

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Here’s the example again:

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:13 PM

No comment.

• Eugene in Oregon - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Thank you both for enlightening me. We learn so much at NatsInsider.

• scmargenau - Aug 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM

I’m getting one,

17. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Souza to the DL.

18. David Proctor - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Souza DL’d

19. exposedindc - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Only the Braves…..baseballs unofficial keepers of the unwritten rule book

20. knoxvillenat - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM

“You know they are going to throw behind Bryce tonight.

How many times did Sheriff McCann order a HBP on Bryce last year”

Julio Teheran not pitching tonight or I’d bet he would try to drill Harper. Not sure about Alex Wood but didn’t Wood hit Harper last year in D.C.? I seem to recall not being too upset by that one as I didn’t think it was intentional but maybe I’m mistaken.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM

They don’t have to hit him, I expect a purpose throw behind. This will be interesting.

• rayvil01 - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:59 PM

The nice thing about the Braves is that they have no sophistication whatsoever. They’ll throw at/behind/over top of him on the first AB. Revenge is a dish best served cold. You’d think they could sit on it a while for a time when no one’s expecting it. But, they don’t have that kind of mental capacity.

MW will react differently than DJ, I would think.

21. letswin3 - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Maybe someone can explain to me why clubs keep on writing the same name in the lineup every day with guys like BJ? I’m sure it has something to do with their pride and the fact that he’s still owed something like 37 million, but HEY, the guy is barely over the Mendoza line. he strikes out more that the Big Donkey and his lack of hustle is an embarrassment … they probably have several guys at AAA who would be a big improvement, particularly leading off. Maybe I’m missing something???

• TimDz - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I’m guessing his contract plays a part….

• rayvil01 - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM

You and most of Braves’ Nation is wondering the same thing.

Their #1 and 2 spots are both pretty poor. They’d like to move BJ, and according to MLB radio this morning they’d give up a Starting Pitcher and would eat some salary to do it. Problem is that no one wants BJ producing at this poor of a level. I imagine the thinking is that if given endless possibilities he’ll work his way out of it to the point that he’ll be attractive enough for someone to take him.

Keep in mind they already ate Uggla’s contract this year. If you get to where you’re eating $25 or so in “Dead Money” for cut ballplayers it limits what you can do. Wren doesn’t have the money to work with that Cashman had when Geo. Steinbrenner was alive.

• rayvil01 - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:11 PM

“…are wondering.” OMG, Sister Mary Katherine is going to come down from heaven and whack me with a ruler for that sentence. =)

• adcwonk - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:12 PM

But still-why bat him lead off of all places?

• rayvil01 - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM

They tried LaStella…that didn’t work. Maybe they don’t have that many options.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:44 PM

As Ghost said last week, Bonofacio is much better suited to lead off for them than BJ is.

22. npb99 - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:13 PM

If they throw at Harper, we better retaliate pronto, whether through storming the field, plunking one of theirs right back, or something else. I was sick to see how often the Cowards got away with throwing at Harper last year before the Nats responded.

23. David Proctor - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Buck Showalter just got tossed cause he demanded the umps give him the headset so he could talk to New York

• Eric - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Angelos’ Royal Court shall have its say!

• adcwonk - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:09 PM

(Snicker). Sheesh. Good for a chuckle.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:16 PM

What a little windbag. Angelos hired him because he is almost as tall as Showalter.

24. Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Ghost, I said last month that Gattis is leaving the Braves open for a delayed steal of home with the way he sometimes lazily lobs the ball back to the pitcher. This example by David Peralta doing it Friday is how the secondary lead is taken correctly to execute the play. The catcher’s lob here was more extreme than Gattis’, but Peralta had already seen that the steal could be made because of the tendency he had shown to lob it back. I’m telling you, Gattis also often leaves himself wide open for it.

25. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM

When did we trade Caleb Clay? He just got called up by the Angels.

• NatsLady - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM

I swear, Mike Rizzo is single-handledly bringing parity to MLB by populating all of baseball with our pitching prospects.

• natsjackinfl - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I don’t think he was traded. The Nats had signed him on a minor league deal last year and he became a minor league free agent after last season.

• NatsLady - Aug 10, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Too bad. I was watching him last year and, although not that young, he seemed better than the usual “organizational” type. Guess there just isn’t room for everyone.

BTW, A.J. Cole today:
        7 IP, 1 ER, 9 hits, 3K 1 W.

His ERA since his promotion (8 starts) is 2.87.

26. rmoore446 - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I read this in the Atlanta papers this morning and was amazed at this manufactured incident. I was born in Atlanta and was a Braves fan from their first game in 1966 and for decades thereafter (before being cured). And before the Braves, I was an Atlanta Cracker (a great Southern Association team) fan all the way back to the Tim McCarver days. But I never heard the Braves logo on the field considered in the sacred category of the Cowboys’ star.

I converted to the Nationals in 2005 and if there were any second thoughts, they were erased by the bad behavior or Braves fans at National stadium. Back in April I was sitting amongst them during that first series with the Nationals and they reminded me of UK soccer fans (aka drunken louts) I witnessed in Europe.

Hope the Nationals romp them tonight on national television.

• npb99 - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:39 PM

+1 Always good to hear of conversions to the Nationals cause!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I thought their behavior in the 2012 Wild Card game where they trashed their own field just proved they are almost as low class as Phoolie and Oreo fans. It gives Mid-Atlantic East Coast teams a bad reputation.

I attended games at Turner Field and once parked my rental in the regular pay lot. I came out after the game to my window smashed and the car rumaged through. The cops said to me you take your chances parking in the outer lots in SE and said there is no surveilance and it happens all the time which I confirmed with others I knew as the same thing happened to a friend. Cops do nothing and the team doesn’t care. I drove the neighborhood next to the stadium looking around for someone with my luggage. I ended up on Milledge Avenue SE and a guy tells me that someone looking like me shouldn’t be driving around these parts.

They are a bunch of low lifes and they have only gotten worse. Losing could become their culture with a foundation of players like the Upton brothers.

• nats128 - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Reminds me back in the 80’s of traveling to Memorial Stadium in B’more. Many times you would have to find parking in the neighborhoods and we paid for parking and then some kids would shake you down for protection money. They would say it would cost $5 to make sure your car would be safe.

27. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM

No BJ Upton and Bonifaccio is leading off today…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Good. BJ deserves to be benched for not hustling. Span is fast, but BJ allowed a double to be turned into a triple. That old change of scenery has already worn out its welcome.

Wren should have dumped him in that rumored trade he almost had completed. Definitely addition by subtraction.

• knoxvillenat - Aug 10, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I have to ask the question, if the Barves should find a sucker to trade for BJ what would that do for Justin’s psyche? Does he really care if the brothers are on the same team? Does he go into a funk because brother has been traded?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 10, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Knox, I’ve often thought the same thing. He has to know his brother sucks but not sure how that affects him.

I wish they didn’t get Bonifacio. He was one of the few players on the “cheap” to solve their problem. Now will they permanently make BJ a bench player?

• ehay2k - Aug 10, 2014 at 6:39 PM

He’d miss his slow-jog-to-the-ball partner. The new CF would be showing Justin up tons! ;-)

28. snopes1 - Aug 11, 2014 at 1:35 AM

“Crackers” is a racist term. You shouldn’t use it. It demeans you.

29. snopes1 - Aug 11, 2014 at 1:36 AM

“Crackers” is a racist term. You shouldn’t use it. It demeans you.