Aug 12, 2014, 6:38 PM EST
The Nationals got some good news on Tuesday, as an MRI revealed no structural damage to outfielder Steven Souza, Jr.’s left shoulder.
Manager Matt Williams made the announcement to reporters in New York before Tuesday’s game against the Mets.
Souza then confirmed it himself on Twitter:
Thank God all the results came back with good news hope to be back on the field Quick! Wishing great luck to @Taylor_Michael3 on his start!!
— Steven Souza Jr. (@StevenSouzaJR) August 12, 2014
The news is an encouraging development for a banged up Nationals outfield. Nate McLouth is currently on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder inflammation. Jayson Werth is dealing with AC joint inflammation in his right shoulder. Already this season they saw Bryce Harper miss over two months with a torn ligament in his left thumb.
Souza was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Aug. 10 with a left shoulder contusion. He suffered the injury on a play in right field against the Braves on Aug. 8. The 25-year-old slammed into the fence in Atlanta when attempting a leaping catch on a home run hit by Freddie Freeman and was later removed from the game.
Souza was in the middle of his second stint with the Nats this season when he injured his shoulder. He was called up for the first time on April 12 and made his MLB debut the following day.
Through 13 plate appearances this season, Souza has one hit, a walk and four strikeouts. He has played 91 minor league games this year and holds a .354 average with 18 home runs, 70 RBI and 24 steals.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions