Aug 12, 2014, 6:38 PM EST
The Nationals got some good news on Tuesday, as an MRI revealed no structural damage to outfielder Steven Souza, Jr.’s left shoulder.
Manager Matt Williams made the announcement to reporters in New York before Tuesday’s game against the Mets.
Souza then confirmed it himself on Twitter:
Thank God all the results came back with good news hope to be back on the field Quick! Wishing great luck to @Taylor_Michael3 on his start!!
— Steven Souza Jr. (@StevenSouzaJR) August 12, 2014
The news is an encouraging development for a banged up Nationals outfield. Nate McLouth is currently on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder inflammation. Jayson Werth is dealing with AC joint inflammation in his right shoulder. Already this season they saw Bryce Harper miss over two months with a torn ligament in his left thumb.
Souza was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Aug. 10 with a left shoulder contusion. He suffered the injury on a play in right field against the Braves on Aug. 8. The 25-year-old slammed into the fence in Atlanta when attempting a leaping catch on a home run hit by Freddie Freeman and was later removed from the game.
Souza was in the middle of his second stint with the Nats this season when he injured his shoulder. He was called up for the first time on April 12 and made his MLB debut the following day.
Through 13 plate appearances this season, Souza has one hit, a walk and four strikeouts. He has played 91 minor league games this year and holds a .354 average with 18 home runs, 70 RBI and 24 steals.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal
- Scherzer signing shows Nats' continued growth as a franchise