Game 118: Nats at Mets

Aug 13, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

Two of the Nationals’ three regular outfielders are not in tonight’s lineup, for very different reasons. Denard Span, who streak of consecutive games reaching base came to an end last night at 36, gets a well-deserved and highly rare day off. How rare? Well, since returning from the 7-day concussion DL in mid-April, Span had started all but two games (June 15 in St. Louis and June 28 in the second game of a doubleheader in Chicago). Like I said, this one is well-deserved.

Jayson Werth, on the other hand, is out of the lineup for the fourth time in five games, his injured right shoulder still bothering him. Hopefully Matt Williams will provide reporters in New York an update on Werth later this afternoon.

In the meantime, Michael Taylor (fresh off a dazzling big-league debut) now gets a chance to start in his natural center field position and lead off for the first time. Bryce Harper takes Werth’s spot in right field, while Kevin Frandsen starts in left. Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound against veteran right-hander Bartolo Colon as the Nats incredibly seek their 24th win in their last 28 games at Citi Field.

I’m not there in person for this series, but check back for any medical updates, and check back in the morning for some thoughts on the game…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS

1B Brian Gorman
2B Jim Wolf
3B Tony Randazzo

1. dcwx61 - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Kimbrel 39 out of 42….2nd in league

2. David Proctor - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:14 PM

It’s not only our closer who makes it interesting.

• dcwx61 - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM

who is the most interesting reliever in the world
      Stay thirsty, my friend

3. manassasnatsfan - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM

A soft grounder and Kemp out by 4 steps on double play. Did he forget to leave the box, one step I get. 4?

4. NatsLady - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Kemp, double play. Game over. At least as exciting as our game. Not sure I’m ready to trade closers.

• dcwx61 - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I would do it in a heart beat….take 99 on the black

• NatsLady - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Something is wrong with Kimbrel. He’s battling through it, but I don’t think he’s healthy.

• dcwx61 - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:26 PM

He is 2nd in the league in saves…I guess some on this board think he has been overused this year.

• rayvil01 - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM

I agrrr eith you NatsLady. Something is up with him. Maybe just over-use.

5. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Nats won… That’s all I *really* care about…

6. Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Kemp hits into gidp with bases loaded. Dodgers suck!

7. ehay2k - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:18 PM

According to At-Bat, Kimbrel threw that last pitch right down the middle. So the Barves grind out a win and find themselves still 5 back. Enjoy the grind Barves.

8. ehay2k - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Just report the comment and move on. No reason to mention the trolls by name.

9. dcwx61 - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Now let’s get some healthy outfielders back.
    Werth and McLouth back by Sunday…no need for Frandsens in the outfield then.

• scmargenau - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Frandsen thre a guy out, made two difficult catches if not a gem, and drove in winning run. Not bad.

• dcwx61 - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM

yes, I do think his bat has been worthy of a backup INfielder.

10. scmargenau - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Frandsen, despite bad luck drop had a pretty darn good game.

11. dcwx61 - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Game tying homer by Zack the Wack Walters

• scmargenau - Aug 13, 2014 at 11:17 PM

U sure? U mean game winning in first game?

12. scmargenau - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Tull out for year. Get better! A true gamer

13. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Heart rate getting back to normal.

• scmargenau - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Ha. Me too. But not sure I can take it post season. Nor do I think we’ll escape so many near blown saves.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 13, 2014 at 11:00 PM

He needed to bring in Thornton. He had nothing.

That Desi to Ramos saved him.

• scmargenau - Aug 13, 2014 at 11:07 PM

I agree. I was going nuts..even my 8 year old was upset Sori was in vs lefty…but heck…worked out.

Is WordPress effed up for u too? Very annoying.

• scmargenau - Aug 13, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Thx for fixing the comment order :-)

• Section 222 - Aug 13, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Cult of the closer Ghost. Charlie and Dave reported that no one was warming. But Sori battled. And he fielded his position. Have to give him credit and tip your cap for that.

• scmargenau - Aug 13, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Deuces. Aren’t you concerned that he doesn’t have a strike em out pitch nor scary speed. You trust him in a playoff run?

• Section 222 - Aug 13, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I’m concerned sure. But I do trust him. He’s battle tested and unflappable. As Desi said, he knows what he’s doing out there. We all remember all too well when you have someone who lets his emotions get the best of him. Drew is going to be great someday, but I’d stick with Sori for this season. This is what he came here to do.

• NatsLady - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:23 AM

We could have this guy. (Well, no, we couldn’t. We got Doug Fister becuase Detroit wanted the money to pay this guy).

14. Section 222 - Aug 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Collins postgame comments are well worth watching on MLB.com’s highlights of the game. The guy is pretty funny, even after a tough loss.

• NatsLady - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Thanks that made me laugh. He sounds a little, er, frustrated with Matt Harvey.

15. coop202 - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:12 AM

The focus on the braves I’ve always found weird I have to be honest. We win each series from here on out 5 up we’re in. We won this one, good way to tough one out. Tomorrow is gravy and I want it.

16. veejh - Aug 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Least amount of runs given up in the MLB @ 409. Impressive. Maybe things are ok?

17. veejh - Aug 14, 2014 at 1:46 AM

Zach Walters walk off HR. Hmmmmm…..