Aug 13, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
Two of the Nationals’ three regular outfielders are not in tonight’s lineup, for very different reasons. Denard Span, who streak of consecutive games reaching base came to an end last night at 36, gets a well-deserved and highly rare day off. How rare? Well, since returning from the 7-day concussion DL in mid-April, Span had started all but two games (June 15 in St. Louis and June 28 in the second game of a doubleheader in Chicago). Like I said, this one is well-deserved.
Jayson Werth, on the other hand, is out of the lineup for the fourth time in five games, his injured right shoulder still bothering him. Hopefully Matt Williams will provide reporters in New York an update on Werth later this afternoon.
In the meantime, Michael Taylor (fresh off a dazzling big-league debut) now gets a chance to start in his natural center field position and lead off for the first time. Bryce Harper takes Werth’s spot in right field, while Kevin Frandsen starts in left. Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound against veteran right-hander Bartolo Colon as the Nats incredibly seek their 24th win in their last 28 games at Citi Field.
I’m not there in person for this series, but check back for any medical updates, and check back in the morning for some thoughts on the game…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Partly cloudy, 82 degrees, Wind 13 mph out to RF
CF Michael Taylor
2B Asdrubal Cabera
3B Anthony Rendon
1B Adam LaRoche
SS Ian Desmond
RF Bryce Harper
C Wilson Ramos
LF Kevin Frandsen
RHP Jordan Zimmermann
RF Curtis Granderson
2B Daniel Murphy
3B David Wright
1B Lucas Duda
C Travis d’Arnaud
LF Matt den Dekker
CF Juan Lagares
SS Wilmer Flores
RHP Bartolo Colon
HP Stu Scheurwater
1B Brian Gorman
2B Jim Wolf
3B Tony Randazzo
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera