Aug 13, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Jayson Werth was given a cortisone shot in his ailing right shoulder and will miss a couple more days, but the Nationals say an MRI revealed no structural damage and that the veteran outfielder shouldn’t need to spend any time on the disabled list.
The MRI, performed in New York, showed only inflammation of the AC joint, manager Matt Williams told reporters before Wednesday night’s game against the Mets at Citi Field.
Werth was out of the Nationals’ lineup for the fourth time in five games, hampered by a shoulder injury that progressively got worse late last week. Speaking on Sunday in Atlanta, he said the injury might have been triggered by a catch up against the wall August 1 in Washington. He played several days in mild pain, but it got worse during Thursday’s 13-inning win over the Mets.
For comparison’s sake, teammate Ryan Zimmerman sprained his AC joint in 2012 and required several cortisone shots to make it through the season before ultimately undergoing arthroscopic surgery.
Werth didn’t believe his injury was serious when speaking on Sunday and said he hoped he’d be back to something close to 100 percent soon, though he has little experience in this area.
“I don’t know, I’m somewhere where I’ve never been before,” he said. “I think I’m going to be OK.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year