Aug 14, 2014, 3:59 PM EST
Tonight the Nationals close out their three-game series at Citi Field in search of a sweep of the New York Mets. Stephen Strasburg (8-10, 3.68) will look to overcome his road woes against a club he has handled well in the past.
Strasburg, oddly enough, is only making his sixth career start vs. the Mets tonight. Compare that to the 10 he’s made against Philadelphia, the 15 times he’s faced Atlanta, and the 17 starts he has against Miami, and it’s kind of a strange coincidence. In those five outings, however, Strasburg has been excellent with a 2.70 ERA and 41 strikeouts in 30 innings. The Nationals’ right-hander faced the Mets on Opening Day 2014 and took a no-decision after allowing four earned runs in six innings of work.
The Mets will also trot out their Opening Day starter, Dillon Gee (4-4, 3.54). Gee is making his 14th career start against the Nationals and holds a 3.23 ERA in 83 2/3 total innings vs. the franchise. In the first game of the season, he also earned a no-decision after allowing four earned runs in 6 2/3 innings.
The Nationals have a chance to make it 25 wins in their last 29 games at Citi Field tonight. After that they will head home for a 10-game homestand beginning with the Pittsburgh Pirates on Friday.
Please check back in the morning for Mark’s analysis of the game…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB Network, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Thunderstorms (55% chance of rain), 77 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to LF
CF Denard Span
2B Asdrubal Cabrera
3B Anthony Rendon
1B Adam LaRoche
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper
C Jose Lobaton
RF Michael Taylor
RHP Stephen Strasburg
RHP Dillon Gee
HP Brian Gorman
1B nJim Wolf
2B Tony Randazzo
3B Stu Scheurwater
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann ready for game action after live BP, including one hit batter
- Strasburg talks signing of Max Scherzer, rise of Nats as franchise
- Why the Nationals don't use the shift more
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem
- Marlins ace Fernandez takes big step in Tommy John recovery
- Now a Dodger, Rollins says another NL East team was his 2nd choice
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF
- Harper wants to be a one team player