Instant Analysis: Nats 6, Pirates 5 (11)

Aug 17, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today Photo by USA Today

GAME IN A NUTSHELL: Pennant races in Major League Baseball are supposed to be thrilling, they are supposed to keep fans at the edge of their seats. Wins often do not come easy, and losses can be tough to swallow.

Few games, however, can produce the extreme ups and downs of the Nationals’ 6-5 win over the Pirates in 11 innings on Sunday evening.

This one featured a defensive disaster by both teams, as errors initially gave the Pirates a 2-0 lead in the sixth inning, then returned the favor to the Nationals, who led 4-2 heading into the ninth before closer Rafael Soriano blew his fifth save of the season.

That all set up the biggest hit of the night, a walk-off sac fly by Scott Hairston – who was pinch-hitting – to score Jayson Werth from third base. Werth had been out a week with AC joint inflammation in his right shoulder, but came through with a leadoff double to start the 11th.

Soriano entered the ninth for his 30th save of the year before he lost his grip on a 2-2 pitch that nailed Starling Marte in the back with no outs. A wild pitch would later score Marte and get the Pirates within one run, before Gregory Polanco hit a tw0-RBI double to right-center for the lead.

Doug Fister started the day steady once again, with a no-hit bid through four innings. But as a groundball pitcher, Fister sometimes has to rely heavily on the defense behind him. They would not come through on this particular day, and allowed the Pirates to break a scoreless tie in the sixth inning. The rally started with Ian Desmond’s 19th error of the season and was aided by an Anthony Rendon throwing error to home plate during a botched rundown.

The Nationals would fire back with a run in the bottom of the sixth, and then three more in the seventh, the latter aided by Pirates errors. Then came Soriano’s forgettable ninth inning.

Washington would tie the game in the bottom of the ninth, as Werth pinch-hit with one out and walked. Werth then moved to third on a single to right field by Denard Span. Asdrubal Cabrera then brought Werth home on a single to right field.

That pushed the game to extra innings and set up the Nats’ sixth walk-off win of 2014 and their second in as many nights. It also marked a three-game sweep and a season-high six-game winning streak.

HITTING HIGHLIGHT: The Nationals took the lead back in the seventh thanks to defensive mistakes by Pittsburgh. Michael Taylor led off by reaching first on a Edinson Volquez pitch that hit him on the left hand. Kevin Frandsen and Span then followed with singles to load the bases.

The Nats would bring two runs home on a throwing error by Russell Martin. Martin threw wide of home plate on a Cabrera groundball, allowing both Taylor and Frandsen to score. Span then came home on a Rendon groundball to third thrown too high by Pedro Alvarez.

PITCHING HIGHLIGHT: Though Fister left the game with the Nats trailing, he was sharp as always. Fister began the day perfect through 2 1/3 and didn’t surrender a hit until Alvarez singled to lead off the fifth inning. He gave up two runs in the sixth, but neither were charged as earned.

Fister would finish with seven innings, five hits, one walk, five strikeouts, two runs (none earned) on 97 pitches. He has now pitched at least seven innings in seven of his last eight starts and in 12 of his 18 total outings this season.

Fister’s season ERA now stands at 2.20, fifth-best among MLB starters. Fister is, however, just short of qualifying for the official rankings. One needs at least one inning pitched per team games played. After Sunday, Fister is at 118 2/3 innings through 122 total Nats games.

KEY STAT: Fister has not allowed an earned run in 22 1/3 consecutive innings, dating back to three starts ago on Aug. 1.

UP NEXT: The Nationals continue their homestand with a four-game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks. Game 1 will pit Jordan Zimmermann (8-5, 2.92) up against lefty Vidal Nuno (0-3, 3.92).

1. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2014 at 8:55 PM

This team DOES. NOT. QUIT.

Ever.

• rayvil01 - Aug 17, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Reflection of MW?

2. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Just an epic series… Seriously one of the best series we will experience… What a game… A lot of heros tonight…

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM

In the 10th inning I was thinking neither team deserved to win with all of the screw ups by both, but then I figured somebody had to win it so it might as well be us.

3. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:00 PM

How key was it that Werth came in and did what he did? And Det? I am also so happy for Hairston. And Span’s AB’s are blurring together, but he had a couple of great ones. Hell the whole game is a blur! Great job by everybody picking up Soriano. And Fister! What can you say? And Cabrera, Thornton, and Frandsen.just a great team win!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I’m shocked by what Werth did. Gets a walk with his bat on his shoulder and I think the Pirates were thinking he was not going to swing and they tried to get that 2-seamer past him in a 2-2 count and Jayson turned on it.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:11 PM

What a consummate pro that guy is.

• rayvil01 - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Rizzo took a lot of grief for Werth’s contract. But it looks to be a wise move at this point.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Yes, at this point. I have a feeling years 6 and 7 won’t be.

• rayvil01 - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I won’t argue that. He needed a change agent and those last two years were part of the price he had to pay to get one.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM

OMG, that is crazy you said that. I have used “change agent” as the term to describe him before also. The transformation he made in the clubhouse is the perfect use of the term.

I remember that from 35 years ago from a Business Management class in college.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Between your golf analogies and your “change agent” I’m impressed.

• rayvil01 - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Rizzo overpaid in baseball terms. But, changing the culture of an organization is tough. Werth was a shortcut. I’m confident Rizzo calculated all of that.

Yes I was a Business Major.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:49 PM

There were so many facets to the signing that go beyond what true value would be to most teams.

There was a time people said no big free agent would sign in DC. They were wrong and things changed after that signing.

• natsfan1a - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I noticed after an out (the final one? I’d have to watch it again) in the 7th that Fister turned around and said something to the infield. It looked something like “Okay. Let’s go guys.” I wondered whether they’d all made a pact for a quick inning on defense after he escaped the 6th with just the two unearned runs.

• natsfan1a - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Speaking of Fister, did he really kiss the top of Frandsen’s pine-tar encrusted helmet in the dugout after Kevin scored? I do believe he did. That was awesome.

• adcwonk - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Hairston had struck out the last five consecutive times he had pinch hit before tonight.

4. MicheleS - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM

OMG!!! I am dying!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

COOKIES FOR DET!!!

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I knew that we could count on you showing up tonight with your post game cheer.

• natinalsgo - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:10 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!™

I miss that! Fun and confusing game. Great W!

• natsfan1a - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:18 PM

We miss you, too.

5. natsfan1a - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM

That was some ballgame. That is some team. I’m glad they’re mine. :-)

6. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Watching that Rendon tapper to 3rd and Alvarez with a poor throw with 1 out, that has to be a RBI. That has to be changed by the official scorer.

7. veejh - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Longest win streak of the year. Keep it rollin. DBacks next….cake mix.

8. ehay2k - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Great ballgame from a dramatic perspective. Boy, we don’t survive those gaffes in prior years, but the Nats seem to be a lot loosed now. Give MW some credit.

Didn’t read the game thread, but I thought Michalen Taylor was supposed to be defensive stud, yet his arm seems questionable. Small sample size, I know, and im sure ive missed a few tosses, but I haven’t seen even one crisp, on-target throw yet. The throw in from the wall in right center was pretty bad in terms of both velocity and accuracy.

Or have I missed something?

But, great win. 4 more and MW has to do his Ruth impression.

GYFNG!

• veejh - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:18 PM

MW blew it on not pulling Soriano. This game shoulda been won in the 9th.

9. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Jup with a 3 run HR.

• annapmagistra - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM

JUp two run homer, but they already had one.

10. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Professional comments by Soriano.

• veejh - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM

What did he say?

• David Proctor - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

He was asked about the boos and he said he deserved it because he didn’t do his job.

Also said he got booed louder in New York. I hope that wasn’t a challenge, lol…

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:32 PM

He was very humble and faced the press with class and hat in hand.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Too long to paraphrase as he got asked several questions. He just stood up and took the blame and even said the boo’ing didn’t bother him because he didn’t pitch well. He said in NY they would have boo’d louder.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I hate it when our crowd boos our players. I didn’t like it when they booed Werth, Hanrahan,or Haren ,Or any of them. Except Milledge, because he was a laggard and often didn’t try his best. Soriano is out there busting his ass giving his best. Just my personal perspective as a fan.

• ehay2k - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I agree Joe. I will boo (our guys) only for lack of effort. So, a pitcher not covering a base might warrant it, but not lack of command. Just the way I see it, others are free to boo for sock choices if they want.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Totally agree.

• unkyd59 - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I hope that Matty tweaks his bullpen strategy, a little… Lots of good arms out there… I’d like to see Clip, Stor, and Sori a little more judiciously used. Don’t want anyone worn out, in a few weeks….

• unkyd59 - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Stammen, Det and Thornton can all throw late innings, and as long as Det OR Stammen has a couple might a off on any given night, to go long, the “A” finishers shouldn’t have to throw three nights in a row… Just my humble, ignorant opinion…

Great win!!!

• adcwonk - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I think the only time home team players should be booed for their play is, as you say, if they are obviously not giving it their all, or doing really stupid things.

But, being a closer is hard. Clip got bailed out by the “behind the back DP” started by Cabrera, Soriano did not when ALR almost caught what would have been a certain DP. Pitchers are going to have off nights — booing when they are trying seems like being a fair-weather friend, imho.

• Smyrcok - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I don’t care for it when the braves boo our players. No way I’m going to do that to our own guys.

• natsfan1a - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM

What, you went with the high-stockings over the stirrups? Booo!!

“Just the way I see it, others are free to boo for sock choices if they want.”

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Mah, people paid money to see a good product… And are entitled to do what they want… There was nothing good about Sori tonight and he has been shaky at best lately…

People figure after the Nats made the effort to come back, he lets it off the hook… I wouldn’t have boo’d in that situation personally, but the paid crowd is entitled to do what they want… And I don’t blame them for expressing their dismay for how poor Sori pitched tonight…

And some people did cheer for him as he left though….

11. ehay2k - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:23 PM

2 run HR – can’t give him extra credit

12. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:24 PM

These Oakland A’s don’t look so scary… Wish we could have faced them with our full line up instead of our mashed together triple A one…

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:27 PM

They looked untouchable against us, and stink against the Braves

13. MicheleS - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I Really wish I could post from the park, twitter works most nights, but the wifi/cell service is so suspect that any time I try to post here, it just hangs up and locks up.

Great win, great sweep. God I wish the A’s didn’t crap the bed this weekend, but the Pirates are pissed, McCutch is coming back and they go to the Braves next!!

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Do they have wifi at the stadium?

They have social media days, but without WiFi what is the point.

• MicheleS - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM

they have wifi, but it’s sketchy at best

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I often will turn my wi fi off and use 3G instead, with often times better results.

• scmargenau - Aug 18, 2014 at 5:42 AM

Hard for any wifi to work with 30k plus users.

14. manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I: understand that Hairston’s sac fly has been reviewed by Mrs. B. The run does not count as he swung are first pitch fast ball. Of course first pitch fast balls are OK by me.

But she says they should bpbever happen, so the run should not count (at least for her).

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Oh good grief.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:53 PM

1. I hate first pitch swinging and it will be nothing that you or anyone else says that will change my mind.
      2. I hate first pitch swinging, especially against starting pitchers as you want to get the starting pitcher out the game as it’s seemingly better to go against the other teams BP… Which Scott Hairston was going against…
      3. There are times when first pitch swinging makes sense as I’ve said a few times before… And when Hairston swung, it made sense, runner on 3rd (winning/Tieing run) , 1 out and the fact that the batter before him made the opposing pitcher throw a few pitches… Hairston was looking for something up and he ended up getting it on the first pitch.

You make yourself look silly trying to call someone out when you are mis-informed… So you shouldn’t try to do it again.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Every rime swings at a first pitch you seem to hate it. Lead of batters of a game I understand.

The point is to get hits and first pitch fast balls are in general your best pitch to hit. Get enough hits the pitcher is out.

I do agree swinging at a low slider on the first pitch makes absolurkely no sense.

15. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM

“ehay2k – Aug 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    Taylor was supposed to be defensive stud, yet his arm seems questionable. Small sample size, I know, and im sure ive missed a few tosses, but I haven’t seen even one crisp, on-target throw yet. The throw in from the wall in right center was pretty bad in terms of both velocity and accuracy.”

From the wall to that spot where Cabrera is has to be 225 feet. I don’t think Cabrera got out far enough for the cutoff.

So far nothing overly impressive about his defense except 1 play where he ran down to almost the tarp roller on a foul ball and caught it.

He’s been playing it safe out there letting balls bounce in front of him instead of diving for them.

Still a very small sample size and we need to see more.

16. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Love the MicheleS trademark on there WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!™

17. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM

BJ Upton getting boo’d after a K. Wow. At least they finally moved him this past week to the 8 hole.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM

BJ is nick-named after his father and it stands for Big Boss. His real name is Melvin, but he hates it. Do you all know where I’m going with this? Next time the Braves come to town the Nats Stadium should yell “Melvin” at him every at bat.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM

They really should but Washington is not the right place for that. They could never even get a “Larry” chant going while 28 other ballparks did it.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM

It would be a very mild rebuttal to the “Harper S**Ks!” chants in Atlanta.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Not Big Boss. My bad. His dad is called “Boss.” Melvin is Boss Junior, thus B.J.
        In Atlanta they say he’s aptly named because he (stinks).

18. ehay2k - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Soriano is no Mo’ne Davis!

19. manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I was on my nightly lock the church. Did MW say anything that surprised any of us,

He’s our closer….

That’s baseball……

20. ehay2k - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:50 PM

But in the privacy of my home tonight, I was pretty generous with my choice words for Soriano.

21. manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I boo myself at work when I make mistakes. Don’t need others to boo me. I take care of that myself.

Except for my typing, I expect perfection from myself, that means I rarely need to be booed.

So as for booing, I don’t need to boo unless it appears the person who screwed up isn’t booing himself.

Ian’s error no boo. ALR non double play no boo. Siriano’s lousy effort no boo.

However MW making the same mistake again, when Thorton was ready for Polanxo, I could boo that, as MW doesn’t seem to think it needs fixing.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I’m glad you’re not the one making managing decisions. For that matter, I’m glad that I’m not making the managing decisions. Or anybody else on this board. I’m personally getting happier with Matty with every win!

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:10 PM

But to say that your closer is to good to be replaced until after he gives up the lead not good either.

Soriano is easy to read if he is keeping balls in the upper half his chances for problem are very high.

22. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM

” Zack Greinke, outlasted. Clayton Kershaw, outdueled. Dan Haren, out early. And the Dodgers, outmatched.

It was a series of two National League division leaders, a possible playoff preview, a chance for the Dodgers to redeem themselves after losing two of three in Milwaukee last week.

And it ended, on Sunday, with a Brewers sweep and the Dodgers humbled.

Haren (10-10, 4.59 ERA) lasted just three innings in Sunday’s 7-2 loss, allowing six runs (three earned) on five hits and three walks. The loss marked the first time the first-place Dodgers have been swept this season and the fifth time the Dodgers have lost to the Brewers in six games.”

23. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM

It’s amazing how the Marlins can make Freddie Freeman look very pedestrian and the rest of the league can’t…

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Actually as high as Freddy’s average is, and how he hits way higher against us tells me mire than a few teams pitch him well.

24. Theophilus T.S. - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Although I think he’ll end up working fewer games than last year, his scattergunning leads me to think Soriano is tired. Through July on those occasions where he got in trouble he was trying to paint corners, entice batters into swinging at stuff marginally — and safely — out of the zone. Now he’s just plain wild, except when he’s being raked. The Nats should make certain he gets the next three days off. If there are save opportunities, let Storen and Thornton have ‘em.

Ray Knight kept saying he never remembered a Nats player getting booed like that. How short are our memories? Anyone besides me remember Nyjer Morgan?

• David Proctor - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Or Dan Haren? How about Drew Storen last year? I was there in person when he got booed off the mound for giving up a 3 run lead.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I boo’d D Haren…. Was never a fan of his and KNEW that back was an issue… I was biased as I wanted Lohse and was cussing Rizzo something serious…

And then D Haren just kept getting worst and worst… And then the excuses for him were just palpable… And ridiculous…

I felt bad for Drew… Never understood booing him… But Sori will get a thunderous applause the next time he comes out and does his job…

• coop202 - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Ya I truly don’t believe in booing anyone who is giving their best – though injury is one thing athletes like dan should be more careful about. I find booing starters for a bad game disgusting and harmful to your teams chemistry

25. manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Second homer for Fry man. To bad no one gets on base in front oh him, now 3-2

26. coollikelivo - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Was there so didn’t join the game thread. Highlight for me was A-Drub’s behind the back double play relay, just awesome! He could not possibly have even thought about it it happened so fast — pure instinct, which is even more amazing.

As disappointing as the latest chapter of “How the Soriano Turns” was tonight, it served a valuable opportunity to get us more used to overcoming deficits and bad breaks. So the mental reinforcement we gained I think made it actually worthwhile. Now we need to get his head/arm back to being right for the homestretch…..

27. David Proctor - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:17 PM

How about Asdrubal Cabrera, btw? He had the game-tying hit in the 9th, he had a web gem and he’s really been fantastic. Even if he makes an out, he gives you a good AB. So much better than Danny

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM

He has done a good job.

• scmargenau - Aug 18, 2014 at 5:56 AM

I love the guy. Sign him up plz!

28. manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Can anyone tell me why the press hates the name Redskins, but something much more insulting to Native Americans that stupid Tomahawk chop no one says a word in the media.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Yep. Agreed. Double standard.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:33 PM

My solution is just to change the logo to a potato. Redskin potatoes are good

• scmargenau - Aug 18, 2014 at 5:58 AM

Lol. I can just see the potatoes head logo …

29. manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I saw no tweets from Me presser. What in essense did he say?

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Auto correct gets a boo. MW presser

30. manassasnatsfan - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Fans are booing BJ Upton.

31. Joe Seamhead - Aug 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM

BJ just made his 7th error of the year. Leads the league for CFers.

32. breakbad1 - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:40 AM

One of the greatest games I have ever seen in person. Just unbelievable. I’m up at 1240 a.m. doing radio and TV replays. What a game. What a team. This will surpass 2012. Never forget this year.