Instant analysis: Nats 5, Diamondbacks 4 (11)

Aug 18, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

GAME IN A NUTSHELL: Riding a season-high 6-game winning streak that included a weekend sweep of the contending Pirates, the Nationals opened a 4-game series against the non-contending Diamondbacks feeling mighty good about themselves. What they didn’t expect was a real battle against unknown Arizona left-hander Vidal Nuno, who went toe-to-toe with Jordan Zimmermann, and then a wild finish that left the crowd alternating between elation and dejection every couple of minutes.

Down 1-0 in the seventh, Wilson Ramos destroyed a 1-2 breaking ball from Nuno over the center-field fence, a 2-run homer that gave the Nationals the lead for the first time all night and brought what had been a lifeless ballpark back from the dead. That lead was short-lived, though, because Zimmermann immediately served up a 2-run homer to Didi Gregorius that put Arizona back on top.

The Nationals stormed right back against reliever Brad Ziegler, getting a double from Denard Span, a triple from Anthony Rendon and a sac fly from Jayson Werth that gave them the lead again. But Tyler Clippard, pitching the ninth after Rafael Soriano appeared four of the last five days, immediately blew the save, serving up a towering home run to David Peralta and ultimately sending this one to extra innings.

Craig Stammen nearly lost it in the top of the 11th, loading the bases with nobody out before somehow escaping the jam unscathed. That set the stage for Adam LaRoche to be the hero. LaRoche launched his sixth homer in 12 games to end this one in the bottom of the 11th. His first career walk-off homer gave the Nationals a 7-game winning streak, the last three of which have come in walk-off fashion.

HITTING HIGHLIGHT: The go-ahead rally in the eighth came exclusively from the top of the Nationals’ lineup, which has been so good all season. Span got things started with a one-out double to left-center. Rendon then followed with his RBI triple into the right-field corner. With the tying run on third, Werth did exactly what the situation called for and lined a ball to left fielder Mark Trumbo, who couldn’t throw home in time to get Rendon. A well-executed, impressive rally from three guys who have been there for the Nationals so many times this season.

PITCHING LOWLIGHT: After Soriano blew his fifth save of the season Sunday and departed to a chorus of boos, fans wondered whether Matt Williams might decide it was time to make a change at closer. It was, but not a permanent change. Soriano got the night off to rest his arm (and perhaps mind) so it was Clippard getting the  ball for the ninth. That quickly proved troublesome, though, when Peralta mashed his pitch off the facade of the second deck in right field. Maybe this closing thing isn’t quite as easy as everyone would hope.

KEY STAT: Total runs scored in innings 1-through-5 the last two days: 1. Total runs scored from the sixth inning on: 19.

UP NEXT: Game 2 of this 4-game series will see Stephen Strasburg trying to even his record at 10-10 against Arizona right-hander Chase Anderson. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.

1. Danny - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Absolutely!

2. RickH - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:26 PM

UN.BE.LIEV.A.BLE.

3. stoatva - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:26 PM

In case you missed it:

Freaky deaky.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM

19????? The last 2 days? Nats scored 6 yesterday and 5 today. Please recheck the math.

• nats128 - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I think it’s supposed to be 10 not 19. That was written by Mark Z.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Yes, that makes sense.

• chrisrw109 - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:53 PM

It is total runs… I.e. both teams.

this team is showing shades of 2012, never feeling like they are dead… and never conceding the big inning. Two days in a row they got out of big innings with light damage.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Thanks chrisrw. That makes sense.

• chrisrw109 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Not a problem.. I went back and checked the box scores cause that seemed off. But it’s accurate as my heart rate can attest.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Thanks.

• scmargenau - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Lol. I copied that n iPad to post here…feeling all wise n stuff…and I see u beat me to it.

Mise well use my paste now

4. Eric - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM

This is a perfect example of a time when family-friendly language restrictions frustrate me, because only a long string of curse word SCREAMED VERY LOUDLY even begins to express my exuberant joy.

GO NATS!!!!!!!!

5. philipd763 - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Have to bring Laroche back next season.

• scmargenau - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Umm. No. Too streaky and on downturn. I live him but rzim needs to go to first

6. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I’m glad the Nata won….

But there was some questionable decisions regarding the BP and it’s usage… But I am totally glad the Nats won…

Tomorrow, I hope they massacre the snakes… And that SS can go deep to save the BP….

• adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM

But there was some questionable decisions regarding the BP and it’s usage

Like what? I think, for the most part, they used all their “A” pitchers, except the two that most needed rest (Soriano and Detwiler).

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Like if you had Thornton ready and you were going to bring him out in the 8th, why not bring him in from the beginning…

Why did you have Clippard, who had pitched also 3/4 days in a row, go out there when Storen was rested..

Also, sending Stammen out there is a questionable decision giving he just pitched yesterday…

• adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Because JZ was cruising. I think most everybody thought he had an 8th inning in him.

Low pitch count in all those outings, and he’s been the best reliever on the team lately.

Stammen didn’t pitch yesterday — he pitched the day before. OTOH, Detwiler did pitch yesterday. Who would you have brought out in the 11th?

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:46 PM

And we totally disagree…

Jordan had just walked the Leadoff batter…. Again… Again, if Thornton is ready and you planned on bringing him in, then that’s what you do…

To say Clip had a low pitch count is just disregarding all the warm up pitches etc and the fact that he is using him multiple days ina row.. Just like Sori… You can’t just look at the in game as you have to look at the preparation too… Again, Storen hadn’t been used… He should have been in there in the 9th…

Stammen is another one that, by the grace of the baseball gods, was able to get it done even though he threw 31 pitches in game and then added on some ore preparation pitches…

And me, I would have had Storen out there in the 9th, and it wouldn’t have gotten to this…

• adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I can see using Storen instead of Clip. I don’t think either choice is defensible.

Who would you have used in the 11th?

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Didnt see it the first time:

Had he used Storen in the 9th, it wouldn’t have gotten to the 11th… And not used more arms in the BP….

• adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Still, you criticized using Stammen. So who would you have used? (Or are you avoiding that question ;-) )

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:30 PM

I’m not avoiding it… Sorry Bryce (the dog) demanded that he go out since he had to wait…

It wouldn’t have gotten to the 11th… Had MW used Storen in the 9th…

• adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:36 PM

You are avoiding it. You criticized his use of Stammen.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Avoiding it by saying, it wouldn’t have gotten to Stammen had he used Storen in the 9th…

This is getting silly…

7. adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Amazing Q & A with ALR after the game from Dan:

Dan: The count is 3-1, what kind of pitch are you looking for?
    ALR: Not a curve! But he hung it, and I got some good wood on it.

Amazing: the curve surprised him and he still jacked it against the facade.

Unbelievable!

• RPrecupjr - Aug 19, 2014 at 2:00 PM

I’m not sure I would say “surprised”, just not what he was looking for. The reason he jacked it, as Carp/FP/Ray/Probably NOT Johnny said in the postgame, was that if you’re looking fastball (90+) and pick up the spin and see curve (low 80s) you have time to react, and since it was a hanger, crush it. You=a major league hitter, not you, personally….and certainly not me :)

8. manassasnatsfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:31 PM

That homer was for our Conrad wassin……

9. scnatsfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:31 PM

This is just a little fun, isn’t it?

• natsfan1a - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Just a tad bit.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM

What you doing still up???? :-)

• natsfan1a - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Good point. I was about to go to bed, and they pulled me back in.

• scmargenau - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Just when you think your out….

• natsfan1a - Aug 19, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Exactly…

“Just when you think your out….”

10. Eric - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM

OMG, was that really LaRoche’s first walk off ever?

It is an honor and a pleasure to have shared this with you, Mr. LaRoche.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 19, 2014 at 12:01 AM

No kidding!

11. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Game ball goes to CS and his whodini act…. I mean seriously, how he got out of it was a-frickin-mazing….

• Eric - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:33 PM

+1, unless that truly was LaRoche’s first walk off homer.

• adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM

But Stammen got himself into it, too.

12. manassasnatsfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Stammen gets a save and a win to me.

Just last night I thought Fister got the save only giving up 2.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:43 PM

He saved himself.

• Eric - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Sometimes that’s the hardest one to save… ;)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Houdini act. Craig did the same in Game 1 of the playoffs and it was Mattheus who did the same Houdini act.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:59 PM

I thought about Mattheus after the bases were loaded.

Maybe a little mojo came from the though.

I am sure Stammen will sleep well.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Baseball gods is all I have to say.

13. veejh - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM

This team has fight. 3 of 4 games walkoff? Unreal.

• adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Three in a row walk off.

14. Danny - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Braves fans cursing their favorite ex brave on the boards

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Who is that?

• Danny - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:42 PM

LaRoche

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:44 PM

LMAO, good point. I thought you were talking about the pitcher!

15. manassasnatsfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Loboton caught Strasburg last time. Two extra inning games. Go Liboton

• adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM

I’ll be there with Mrs Wonk, the Wonkling, and a few more teenagers.

Sec 308, row C. Got ‘em for $10/each from stubhub.

16. natsfan1a - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM

When JW came up in the bottom of the 11th, I’m all “release the gnome.” Uh, okay then. Release LaRoche. Nicely done, Nats. Nicely done.

17. coollikelivo - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Interesting: no Gatorade bath for Adam during the interview…. sign of respect? I know they all love him but maybe it’s the elder statesman effect?

• adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM

They threw a bunch of ice water on him when he crossed the plate. FWIW

18. nats128 - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Nats need to get a starter here from Syracuse tomorrow to eat some innings in relief. Can’t keep going this way unless you plan to use Blevins which I wouldn’t suggest leaning on him.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:40 PM

+1 with Treinen and Barrett both on the DL I think you have to look to Taylor Hill.

• Section 222 - Aug 19, 2014 at 12:13 AM

And who gets sent down or DFA’d? Not one of our pitchers. Maybe MTaylor I suppose, but I don’t think they’d do that just to have Taylor Hill in the bullpen.

And no, Hairston is not going to be DFA’d no matter how much we plead with Rizzo to do it.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Please don’t let JoeS hear you say that….

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 19, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Huh, was I being paged?

19. natsfan1a - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:40 PM

They got him on the field, before the interview, with a cooler and a cupful.

20. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Anyone going Thursday?

• natsfan1a - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM

I’m going on Thursday and Saturday.

• coollikelivo - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Wednesday!

• scmargenau - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Thurs. maybe tom too. Might try out silver line.

Do they have a bar on the train? An our on the tro, ugh.

• sjm308 - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Yep

• Eric - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:46 PM

I’ll be there

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Cool beans… Yeah, my boss and I talked today and I told him I would probably be sick on Thursday… Hee, hee… :-)

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Friday

21. TimDz - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM

My neighbors knocked at my door after hearing me scream,”HELL YA” when the Nats took the lead in the bottom of the 8th….
    They came with beer….
    They left smiling and high fiving after Adam crushed one to right….
    SO glad my new neighbors are Nats fans….

Can I get a “HELL YA?”

• Eric - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Hell yeah!

• coop202 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM

• scmargenau - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:42 PM

That’s epic man.

22. sjm308 - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:43 PM

So much fun!
    Hat stays on for another day!
    Guess it’s not as easy to close as some think on here
    Thorton is lights out!
    Both lead off walks scored for the D backs
    Back again tomorrow

Go Nats!

• Eric - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Love love love the Thornton and Cabrera pick ups so far.

Can you imagine how pumped they must be right now?

23. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Hard to believe that was LaRoche’s 1st career walkoff. Why not, join the party! I remember those T-shirts in 2012 that the Nats had in the team store. JOIN THE PARTY!

• rayvil01 - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM

He hit that puppy!

Very resilient team. Need some easy ones for the bully now.

24. adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM

ALR does have 5 extra inning HR’s in his career — but they were all either as a visiting team, or with his team behind.

This was indeed, in his 11th season, his first ever walk-off HR.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Ok, you say walk-off HR. So he could have had walkoff hits before.

• adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Presumably. I’m just repeating what Charlie and Dave are talking about right now ;-)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Certainly confirmed that was his 1st walkoff HR. Very cool.

• Eric - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Just blows my mind. Congratulations, LaRoche, you deserve it, and you couldn’t have saved it for a better team :)

25. manassasnatsfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Baking bob missing the balk in the first. Not his call, but so obvious hard to miss.

• David Proctor - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Balking Bob’s foot saved the game for us. It prevented a Stammen wild pitch in the 11th

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Balking Bob needs to go ump the Braves call a balk on Waldron

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:01 PM

That view from the camera up high behind the plate was conclusive. How does the ump miss that?

• adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:12 PM

FP called it immediately. He couldn’t believe how obvious it was.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Shocking. I’ve seen pitchers throwing home that landed that front leg in that spot. No wonder why Matt was so mad.

All the BS balk calls that Bob Davidson calls and he misses that one but mostly thats on the 1st base ump as its supposed to be his call.

• scmargenau - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Baking bob may need a random drug test.

26. Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:58 PM

A bien tot.
    Auf wiedersehen.
    Buh-bye.

27. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Redskins 3rd stringers with the go ahead touchdown

• coollikelivo - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Is that a low-A affiliate? Never heard of them…..

• npb99 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Hey, no football posts! ; )

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:12 PM

I’m a big time Skins fan. I had to see it. Had split screen going.

28. Drew - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:05 PM

To echo Ghost:

The Nats need a fresh arm from the Cuse. If not Taylor Hill, maybe Laffey or Tatusko.

Mattheus hasn’t earned the call.

29. coop202 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Ghost isn’t this three nights in a row for you at the game too?

30. manassasnatsfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Now that Nat’s extra is over I turn and see the Redskins let a 55 yard hail mary. Talk about walk offs.

31. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Cleveland scores a TD on a Hail Mary with no time left and decide to go for the 2 points for the win and don’t get it. Redskins win a preseason game that has been hyped for weeks!

• Eugene in Oregon - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Wait, Cleveland’s off today. Traveling to Minnesota, I think.

• NatsLady - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:13 PM

I have no idea what this means. “Hail Mary” “2 points”? Potatoes?

• Eugene in Oregon - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:15 PM

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Pointy ball stuff.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:40 PM

1st string offense wasn’t overly impressive for me… But the Cleveland D is sick…

32. NatsLady - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Cards fans booing their closer who just blew another save.

Did you see Fister wearing the Werth rally gnome?

Had to work tonight BUT taking the day off tomorrow…. I’ll regret it next week when I have to catch up but…

• Eugene in Oregon - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Sorry if this has been raised, but I’ve been away a few days: Has anyone taken their Jayson Werth gnome and put it behind the wheels of a little toy sports car? Would make a great Twitter pic, IMO.

• veejh - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I commented during the game. Dont think many caught it.

• Eugene in Oregon - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Bravo!

• Section 222 - Aug 19, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Thanks for posting the rally Gnome link! Awesome.

• natsfan1a - Aug 19, 2014 at 7:21 AM

Yes, hence my earlier “release the gnome” comment. I thought I saw something in the top of Fister’s jersey during the broadcast. I actually backed up (via the DVR) to check it out. Well, I’ll be danged. There *is* a gnome in his jersey. After a bit, the cameramen pointed it out via replay. Yah, I caught it in real-time, boys. ;-)

“Did you see Fister wearing the Werth rally gnome?”

33. adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Magic Number — down to 33 . . .

Just sayin’ . . .

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Let me know at 21.

• adcwonk - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:37 AM

OK — it’ll be down to 21 in two weeks or so ;-)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Can’t wait to start counting it down.

34. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Nats are about to get some love on ESPN. I see it on the scroll “Nationals Walk Off in Extras”

35. adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Cabrera batting .259 since joining the Nats, 7 runs 5 RBIs in 14 games.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:31 PM

He makes things happen when he’s in there.

36. sjm308 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Home from the first of four this week
    Amazing!!
    Probably the smallest crowd for any game I have been to this year.
    Was that discussed during the game

Love Mrs B but I am on the other side on this one
    Zimmnn was cruising, I hate walking the leadof guy but no reason then to take him out
    You were wrong on Stammen pitching yesterday and we have Det, Blevins and Soriano fresh for tomorrow

Looking to watch SS go at least 7 strong against a lineup that shouldn’t scare anyone
    Looking to wear my hat well into the week no matter how crusty it gets
    Tote bag tomorrow and bobble head on Thursday

Go Nats!

• adcwonk - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I’ll see you in 308 tomorrow?

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:35 PM

That’s the beauty of being a fan… We can disagree… :-)

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve criticized MW for his pitching decisions many times in the past… But using the fresh Storen in the 9th.. And having Thornton up and ready once again…

Had the Nats lost, that’s where the finger pointing would have rightfully gone…

Keep in mind, this is the longest JZimm had gone in a while too…

As I said, I’m glad the Nats won in the exciting fashion but it would have been better for all had they won in the 9th… When they had the opportunity at least.

37. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Michael Taylor is 3 for 4 in career wins by walkoff. He may start thinking this is normal in DC.

38. BurnedOnce - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Bryce owes every teammate and coach a personal, face-to-face apology for his boneheaded little league base running that causing them all extra work. And then he should pay the dinner bill for a week.

• adcwonk - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:39 AM

True.

And although this doesn’t exonerate Bryce on bit — the RF made a brilliant move. He saw Harper and his extra wide turn, and he *faked* the throw to first, which caused Bryce to take off for second, then the threw to second, etc.

Nice defensive play there.

39. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:41 PM

In other news…. Braves are thinking what the hell else do they have to do…

• ehay2k - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Yep. And I know how their fans feel, having recently been in their shoes. “Don’t these guys ever lose?“. I like our current view better.

40. Joe Seamhead - Aug 19, 2014 at 12:19 AM

I’m late to the post game party here. Got home a 1/2 hr ago, breezed through the blogs. 308 was right, it was a pretty sparse, but spirited crowd. It was even thinner when ALR Adamized the Snakes. As we were getting ready to leave the park I yelled up to Ray Knight,” How many Nats pitchers can imitate Soriano?” And he cracked up and yelled back, “None!” Actually I thought Clippard, Storen, and Stamman all made for some pretty ” exciting” Soriano style Relief pitching tonight.

41. Muddy Ruel - Aug 19, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Can there be any further doubt that Bryce is the ultimate Hot Dog? He’s way underachieving in 2014.He gets a hit and he’s gonna show how cool he is at the expense of his team, which places a distant second or lower on his priority list. It’s all about him. He’s a 12-year old mentally. Adam Jones was right to bring all those hot dogs to the TV booth during Bryce’s last session at the 2013 Home Run Derby.