Aug 20, 2014, 6:56 PM EST
It’s been one month since Ryan Zimmerman last played for the Nationals. Whether the veteran third baseman will be playing again one month from now still remains a question mark, though manager Matt Williams remains confident Zimmerman will return from his hamstring injury before season’s end.
“Sometime in September,” Williams said Wednesday afternoon. “When? I don’t know, but sometime in September. I don’t think anything would happen until after [Sept. 1] because he still hasn’t gone [through] the full gamut of tests. And then he would have to have some time to play.”
Zimmerman, who hurt himself July 22 at Colorado trying to beat out a grounder, has yet to begin anything close to baseball activities. He has been limited so far to some light treadmill work.
The Nationals will continue to proceed with caution, understanding the risk of trying to push the 29-year-old back too fast.
“The last thing we want is for him to go to early and really do something bad to it,” Williams said. “So we have to be sure when he comes back that he’s ready, that there are no limitations, and he can go score from first (base) and play defense and do all the things that he does really well.”
One other complicating factor: The minor-league regular season ends Sept. 1, so opportunities for Zimmerman to go on a rehab assignment after that will be scarce.
The Nationals’ options at that point: Have Zimmerman play in some simulated games at the ballpark before batting practice, or send him to Viera for the Florida Instructional League, which begins play Sept. 13.
“If it’s before that, that he’s ready to go, then we’ll arrange to have simulated games for him to play in in all aspects, whether it’s batters, fielding balls or being in the outfield or being at third or any of that,” Williams said. “We’ll put him through the whole schmear and make sure he’s ready to go.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals