Aug 24, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Though the Nationals came back against the Giants to end their 10-game homestand with a 14-6 win, they got some potentially bad news in the injury department.
Second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera left with tightness in his right side after a swing in the seventh inning. The 28-year-old is now day-to-day, as the Nats begin a nine-game road trip on Monday.
Cabrera sustained the injury during a groundout to shortstop Brandon Crawford.
“We don’t know the severity of it, we don’t know exactly,” manager Matt Williams said. “We’ll let the docs take a look at him and we’ll have more information on it tomorrow.”
Williams said it will depend on how Cabrera feels when he wakes up Monday morning in Philadelphia. If he does have to miss time, the Nats will rely on Danny Espinosa, who came into Sunday’s game in the seventh inning and went 2-for-2 with a home run and two RBI.
“We have guys that play multiple positions within the infield and Danny’s certainly played well out there. So if Asdrubal is down for a couple of days, then he’s able to step right in and do well,” Williams said.
Cabrera was acquired by the Nationals on July 31 at the non-waiver trade deadline in a deal with the Cleveland Indians. Since coming to Washington, Cabrera has hit .264 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 20 games.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort
- Nats lineup goes silent in loss to Braves