Aug 24, 2014, 7:57 PM EST
Though the Nationals came back against the Giants to end their 10-game homestand with a 14-6 win, they got some potentially bad news in the injury department.
Second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera left with tightness in his right side after a swing in the seventh inning. The 28-year-old is now day-to-day, as the Nats begin a nine-game road trip on Monday.
Cabrera sustained the injury during a groundout to shortstop Brandon Crawford.
“We don’t know the severity of it, we don’t know exactly,” manager Matt Williams said. “We’ll let the docs take a look at him and we’ll have more information on it tomorrow.”
Williams said it will depend on how Cabrera feels when he wakes up Monday morning in Philadelphia. If he does have to miss time, the Nats will rely on Danny Espinosa, who came into Sunday’s game in the seventh inning and went 2-for-2 with a home run and two RBI.
“We have guys that play multiple positions within the infield and Danny’s certainly played well out there. So if Asdrubal is down for a couple of days, then he’s able to step right in and do well,” Williams said.
Cabrera was acquired by the Nationals on July 31 at the non-waiver trade deadline in a deal with the Cleveland Indians. Since coming to Washington, Cabrera has hit .264 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 20 games.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)