Nats close memorable homestand with wild comeback

Aug 24, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today Photo by USA Today

You know a team has done something special when two of its most seasoned veterans – in this case Adam LaRoche and Scott Hairston, who have a combined 22 MLB season between them – say they’ve never seen anything like it.

Sure, teams have closed 10-game homestands at 9-1 before. That’s rare, but not extraordinary.

Five walk-off wins in six nights, though? A team-record 10-game winning streak? How about a finale that saw the Nats go down five runs, then explode for 12 of their own in a three-inning span?

One walk around the Nats clubhouse after Sunday’s 14-6 win over the Giants and it was clear: what just transpired at Nationals Park over the last week-plus was quite unusual.

“You can’t explain it, no,” LaRoche said. “I’ve been on some good stretches, but not to be down late in as many games as we were and find a way to come back. You just don’t see that too often.”

“It was a great homestand,” Hairston added. “I’ve never experienced anything like it and I think that it’s safe to say nobody has.”

The final game wasn’t just among the best the Nationals have played all season. Try one of the best games one 29-year-old veteran has ever been a part of.

“That was one of the best games that I have ever played. The way that we came back, that was unbelievable,” Jose Lobaton said. “When I’m catching and I see the score, I’m like ‘wow, it’s not easy to come back like that.’ And we did it.”

The Nationals, as mentioned above, found themselves down 5-0 after just three innings. Stephen Strasburg was having one of his worst starts of the 2014 season and their opponent was no chump. The San Francisco Giants entered the day gripping the final NL Wild Card spot and appeared to be in complete control.

What happened next was a 14-1 outburst over five innings. The Nats scored two in the fourth inning and 12 more in the final three. Their 14 total runs were the most they’ve score in any game this season, and the most since July 28 of 2013.

Nine different Nationals recorded RBIs on Sunday, four of them with two. Ian Desmond, Bryce Harper and Danny Espinosa all homered. Eight different players had a multi-hit game. All of that happened in a stretch of 15 outs.

After looking at the box score, it’s almost hard to believe Giants starter Ryan Vogelsong began the day with three hitless frames. He was dealing early on, but the Nationals kept applying pressure with determined at-bats until they broke through.

“You look up and you’re down five runs, realistically you know it’s going to be a challenge to get back into it,” LaRoche said. “And we go out with two innings and get right back in it. Just passing the baton to the next guy and taking what they give us. Guys taking walks, sac flies, just finding a way to work it out. Finding a way to push runs across, that’s what we’ve been doing all along.”

Strasburg, who was essentially bailed out after his poor start, said he wasn’t surprised at all by the comeback, not after what he has seen this year. Sunday was the Nats’ 28th comeback win of the season.

“I think we understand there’s a lot of ballgame left, especially when it’s that early in the game,” he said. “I think the guys have done a great job over the course of the season just not giving away at-bats and being tough outs. They are really putting the pressure on the opposing pitcher and the defense. They put enough pressure on them and they cracked.”

The Nationals have now won 12 of their last 13 and hold a season-high division lead of eight games over the Atlanta Braves. That’s the biggest margin they’ve enjoyed in the NL East since Sept. 14 of 2012. The biggest lead they’ve ever had, in fact, is 8 1/2.

An important road trip awaits them, starting with the Philadelphia Phillies on Monday. With the way the Nats are playing, they will hope a change of scenery doesn’t alter what they have going.

“As far as we’re concerned, we don’t change a thing,” LaRoche said. “We’ll keep doing what we’re going regardless of who we’re playing. But it’s a big road trip, it’s coming down to the wire here. We got a chance to lengthen this gap and we’re going to keep trying to do it.”

1. knoxvillenat - Aug 24, 2014 at 8:13 PM

6-3 in the upcoming road trip would be great but quite honestly I would settle for something like 5-4 or 4-5. Barves playing the NL east over the same time period, 3 each with the Mets, Marlins and Phillies.

GYFNG!

2. janebeard - Aug 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Whatever they are serving in the Clubhouse, they should keep it up. HOW FUN!

3. adcwonk - Aug 24, 2014 at 8:49 PM

+8 on Aug 24

That’s awesome.

• natinalsgo - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Nats getting great pub all over baseball right now. They may not know any player’s names outside of Stras, Bryce, and RZ, and that is fine by me. The stars are aligned.

4. adcwonk - Aug 24, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Quick question:

Any discussion of why Soriano was used while leading by a touchdown?

• Candide - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM

The Vegas point spread was the Nats by a touchdown and a field goal…

• Eric - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM

My guess is he was already warming as we were up by 3 when the bottom of the 8th got under way. I know the relievers had asked Matt to stop warming arms as a precaution.

I also wonder if they’re stretching Sori out a bit (in terms of freqency of use) for the post season?

• Section 222 - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:57 PM

No discussion that I saw. The had him warming in the bottom of the 8th when the score was 9-6. I kept looking for someone else to get up, and no one did. I guess they figured they might as well use him since he was ready to come in, and he didn’t pitch yesterday. Still, if the Nats end up in close games tomorrow and Tuesday, that will be unfortunate.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Aside from already being up and ready, anyway, maybe he just wanted some work.

• 6ID20 - Aug 24, 2014 at 11:47 PM

It’s a needed confidence builder for Soriano, being entrusted to protect an 8 run lead.

5. deftndumb - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Folks, I think this team may be charmed. Let the wonders ensue.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Like LaddieBlahBlah wrote the team is 16-7 since the Asdrubal pickup and add to that Thornton. These are looking like XFactor moves. Rizzo’s own Marco Scutaro type of move which wasn’t the blockbuster but proof that help was on the way and you can see how these guys are already fitting in.

There was a time that the bad luck BABIP were like a curse but they persevered and never let up. Keep hitting them and eventually they will fall in or fly out.

6. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:12 PM

“Just passing the baton to the next guy and taking what they give us. Guys taking walks, sac flies, just finding a way to work it out. Finding a way to push runs across, that’s what we’ve been doing all along.”

That is a quote from LaRoche after the game.

This is what I wrote this morning:

“Ghost of Steve M. – Aug 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    …Just a bunch of guys who pick each other up…. This team is now stacked 1-8 and everyone is contributing. No player has to feel like they have to singularly carry the team on their back.”

• natinalsgo - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Ghost,

Did you write that for LaRoche! Your old saying “take what the game gives you (us)”

Very much like your morning “Just a bunch of guys who pick each other up” which is exactly what Jayson Werth did after Span got picked-off and Rendon walked.

7. Candide - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Legion of Doom, San Francisco style

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:20 PM

This is classic that all the LoD write:

“nyg54: same old story. can’t beat the good clubs. does anybody really expect this team to make
      the playoffs?”

• adcwonk - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Man does that sound familiar!!

• natinalsgo - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM

That is perfect! I’m going to fact check you to find that comment!

• npb99 - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I wonder whether any of those commenters dropped those handles and rejoined as super-enthusiastic fans the last month.

• Section 222 - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I wonder if any of those commenters are actually commenters here using aliases. And not just the LODers.

• deftndumb - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Thanks, Candide. That was an amusing comment thread. I was stunned, however, to note that those San Francisco fans appear to have an edit function!

8. natinalsgo - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:32 PM

We just got home from the game after a celebration dinner in Barracks Row. What a week at the stadium. Just magic. My buddy took some photos of Walkoff City. Only thing close in 2 years was Game 4 walkoff by Werth.

I’m not popping champagne yet.

• Theophilus T.S. - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM

If I were opening a bar down in that part of town, “Walk-off City” would be a good name. Maybe I’ll copyright the phrase tomorrow.

9. nats128 - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:51 PM

The best part of this video is when FP says Who’s Better Than The Nats Right Now!

• natinalsgo - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM

FP played the game and gets it. I believe he honestly believes that statement. What gets me is that there are a few members of the local media who don’t think the same. How can you write day in and day out about the Nationals in this market and choose the Ohs as a better team. I don’t get it. The Nats weren’t the best team 2 months ago, they are today.

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Um, maybe because the O’s beat us in 3 of 4 games this year? And last year too.

Of course, they’ve lost Machado now. But they kind of have our number. Hope we’ll get a chance to show otherwise in a Beltway World Series. Right now they lead a tough division and deserve to be highly ranked.

10. Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 24, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Another way of saying “Enjoy it while it lasts.”

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Was it three years ago? the Rockies finished something like 21-3 or so, just a crazy month-long stretch, to get the wild card?

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Wow, I must be getting old.

[In 2007] The Rockies shot up with one of the greatest comebacks in baseball history. They were a major-league best 20–8 in September, after trailing 6 games on September 1. They won their last 14 of 15 games, including 11 in a row, the most of any team in the 2007 season and an all-time franchise record.”

• scmargenau - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Lol. I feel like interrupted u

11. Section 222 - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM

From the SF Gate blog:

“sm16

10 minutes ago

berkleypatriot
    @sm16 I thought the day was about 2 months back, no?”

Now *that* sounds familiar.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I owe you! LOL

I was just going back for more and got the same quote!

• Eric - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM

That’s hilarious.

• adcwonk - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Indeed. You may recall that I used to chide a certain person here by repeatedly mentioning that he, on April 25, declared the season “already over.”

• Section 222 - Aug 24, 2014 at 11:15 PM

That’s exactly what I recall. So it’s not just the LODers that have dopplegangers here.

12. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM

“sm16: Huge loss today. Mark my words, in about 5 weeks we will remember this 8/24 loss as the day it all fell apart for the Giants.”

Is this SWM? The comments on that SFG Blog are great reading. Here’s another which says the Nats “can hit up and down the lineup”:

“stopsign: That was ugly. Team must be feeling pumped for the long cross country flight back home. What this does show, aside from the Ws being superior to the Gs, is that to build a really good team you need to have a team that can hit, as in pile on hits. There is a belief in baseball that you build around pitching, but a team that can hit up and down the lineup can wear out even good pitching. Few teams have good hitters up and down the lineup, and the Gs are definitely not one of them. The Ws are. The As are too, which is a big reason why they are in good shape right now.”

• rayvil01 - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Interesting way to view things. Whether it’s RZ or Cabrera
      that one steady bat seems to be the tipping point for this offense.

• Section 222 - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Good point. Having a strong lineup 1-8 makes a big difference. A weak link at No. 8 (ie., Espi) gives the other team a chance to relax and regroup.

13. npb99 - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM

What a great fun ride it’s been of late.
    But why oh why was the only game I went to during this homestand the Friday loss? I’m terrible at picking games to see. 4-10 in my last 14 in Nats Park.
    OK, I’ll quit whining now and get back to enjoying all this.

• adcwonk - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Keep that up and we will bar you from the playoffs! ;-)

• npb99 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:18 AM

We’ve shaken things up. I’ve been fired and my 16 year has taken over game-selection duties for us.

• adcwonk - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Smart move ;-)

14. lphboston - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:44 PM

This will really get interesting if Harper starts to get hot

• adcwonk - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:59 PM

• natinalsgo - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:03 AM

I thought he was getting hot. 3 hits on Wednesday. 2 hits on Thursday. 1 for 3 on Friday. Nothing fell on Saturday.

15. Section 222 - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:55 PM

That blog is a gold mine. Check this out:

____ issues go beyond just mechanics. He lacks metal stability and its quite evident. Pay closer attention to his mound presence, or lack there of it. He pouts, lets bad calls affect what hes out there to do……..pitch!!!!! Location mistakes, too many pitches, and it goes on and on.

Is this mick complaining about Stras or Ghost complaining about Gio?

• scmargenau - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:44 AM

I would guess mick on strass

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM

It’s a Giants fan complaining about Lincecum. Or as he calls him, “Timmeh”. Amazing how similar, eh?

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Mick would have called him a *pre-madonna.

16. Section 222 - Aug 24, 2014 at 11:35 PM

From Baggerly:

“They were busy little beavers while building a five-run lead against Stephen Strasburg but it all got washed out in a sixth-inning series of well placed hits, a chopper off the plate and a couple of balls that exceeded Michael Morse’s competency in left field.”

Funny. But harsh.

• conatsguy - Aug 24, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I loved the Beast when he was in DC, but he really was exposed today as a barely adequate left Fielder.

GYFNG!

• scmargenau - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:47 AM

That reminds me. I was sketchy on Zim in left, but he can get to every ball and has a great glove, making only the rare throw that’s needed a def liability. Still, he or werth need to go to first.

17. davecydell - Aug 25, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Top 14 news stories on ESPN tonite,
    None about the Nats incredible 14-6 win.

• natinalsgo - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:15 AM

I turned on ESPN at 5:30 and they had the Strasburg vs. Giants tease then never got to the story in that 1/2 hour. It was supposed to be right after the Outside The Lines story of the former Missouri QB arrested. In the 6AM hour it’s listed as the #12 story right after that same OTL story again and 2 stories after the LLWS Championship.

I will let you know as I will watch and wait again as I’m intrigued. The tease says “wait till you hear what 1 Nats player promises after a big Nats win”

Keep in mind their job is to keep us tuned in for a while. As they scroll up, #13 is “Puig Runs into Triple Play” and #14 is “Angels-A’s Battle for 1st”

• natinalsgo - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:41 AM

“Here comes the Natitude” as they say! “Scott Hairston with a bold statement” Huh, what was so bold about that?

• natinalsgo - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:44 AM

“There isn’t a better team in baseball” is what Hairston says as this is the feed ESPN used at about the 1:35 mark.

• scmargenau - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:50 AM

The dude went from nearly dfa to featured on espn…gotta love baseball

• sjm308 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Hairston was “nearly” dfa’d here by Ghost and others. Not so sure Rizzo checks in with you guys.
        I am not a huge fan of what he has done but I do know that there is more to a 25 man roster and how it is built than just numbers.

• natinalsgo - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:04 AM

scmargenau, they are kind of using that soundbite for some controversy.

Definitely the best pinch hit from him this year. Could it be the start of something for Hairston or back to little production. I don’t take this as any great move to keep him or DFA him but it was a legit hit. I would say he was due.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I gave Hairston props. This was the best moment of the season for him. Let’s keep this in proper perspective. This is a guy who was batting .213 before that hit and had only had 1 pinch-hit since the All-star break before this hit. This is what he’s supposed to do when facing a lefty who is on the ropes.

I guess MW will give him a start against Hamels on Tuesday.

18. Joe Seamhead - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:10 AM

I just re watched the 6th inning from yesterday. Wow! That was fun!
    It was sad watching Michael Morse look so clumsy out in left yesterday. He was never great out there, but he was never as bad as he looked yesterday either. His play out there killed the Giants over and over again.

19. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Brewers only have a 1 1/2 game lead over the Cardinals. The Cardinals are making a run without Yadier Molina and he isn’t expected back until the end of September.

20. natsfan1a - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM

That was some game, and some homestand, for sure.

On another note, I’m not on the Tweeter so can someone vote “no” on “Your Love” for me? We heard it at Saturday’s game and were underwhelmed. I’d rather hear nothing (after the traditional song, of course), as at Thursday’s game, than that. Or do you vote “yes” on one that you “do” like? Oh. In that case, it’s “yes” on “The House is Rockin’.” That said, I can’t really get excited about any of the choices. Please tell me it’s not the final vote.

• Candide - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:08 AM

+1 on “Your Love.”

Read the lyrics. I mean, READ the lyrics. They’re awful.

Distilled: My girlfriend’s out of town, so come on over and spend the night and don’t tell anyone. BTW, I don’t have many friends, and the ones I do have don’t seem to like to be around me when I’m getting into trouble.

Meanwhile, when you walk into the park, you hear the voices of Charlie and Dave being piped in over the PA system reminding you that Nats Park is a family environment, and you see videos of the NatsPack cheerleaders telling you to be careful of your language during the game.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Wow, that lyric could be interpreted several ways, none of them all that wholesome.

• 6ID20 - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM

One of our catchers, can’t remember if it was Flores or early Ramos, used to use that Your Love song as his walk up music.

• NatsLady - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Yes, and they posted the lyrics as a sing-along on Sunday, which is Kids Day. Someone wasn’t thinking!!

• therealjohnc - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Agree on this big time. “I want to use your love tonight?” Etc. And the team makes it worse by having the bouncing ball follow the lyrics on the jumbotron – you know, just in case your kids wouldn’t have heard the lyrics anyway.

C’mon, man. To use that song is just wrong.

• natsfan1a - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:20 AM

As well, it didn’t make me want to dance, or sing along. (Hey you kids – get off my lawn!)

• natsfan1a - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Just not a lot of energy there. imho.

• NatsLady - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Of the ones they’ve done recently I like “The House Is Rockin” That one had energy.

• natsfan1a - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Agreed. It had a good beat, and you could dance to it. ;-)

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Bring back Take On Me! More fans sang along with that than any other song they’ve tried, even before they put the lyrics up on the screen. It’s a homegrown tradition. Who cares if Mickey Morse brought us the song? It’s ours now.

Besides he was terrible in the field yesterday and struck out to end the series. We’re over him.

• dryw4nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I couldn’t agree more! Yeah, Mikey has moved on, but he was a key part of one of the first really exciting seasons for the Nats. He brought us that song and we made it ours. Sooner or later, all of the guys from 2012 will be gone, either traded or retired, but that season will be a bright spot in my memory for far longer than that.

Besides, that new song is a terrible sing-along. If they’re going to change the song, it at least needs to be something fun to sing!!

Oh yeah, and I clapped for Mikey every time, although I was happy to see him not hurt us.

• natsfan1a - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I’d prefer something different but none of the three candidate songs are great, imo.

21. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Morse was bad and still not the worst LF or OF in baseball according to FanGraphs. That’s one of those nightmare games for Morse and his team. I wonder if they move Morse back to 1st base.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Ghost, if you look at CFers on that FanGraphs rating they have Span rated at #20 in MLB and as #10 in the NL and still have him rated with a minus UZR. Both are ludicrous, and FanGraphs loses a lot of credibility with me when it comes to rating defenders. As to UZR? What does that stand for? In my book,as a “stat” or as a “rating” it’s Utterly Zany Rubbish.
      There are just not 10 better defenders than Denard Span in the national league, much less 19 better defenders in MLB.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Yes garbage. Best in the NL for the last 2 months. Since it’s cumulative for the year, not the best overall.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM

You wouldn’t criticize the usefulness of batting stats that show a pitcher hitting 1.000 after one at-bat; it’s obviously not enough data to be useful. Likewise, it’s disingenuous to criticize defensive stats that are not advertised or expected to be useful in small doses.

Yes, it would be nice to have really accurate, reliable numbers on defense, but that’s probably not possible in baseball. It’s still better than nothing, as MFK says, unless you are doing it wrong. Then it’s not.

• masterfishkeeper - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:35 AM

This statistical report is making me look forward to seeing Domonic Brown in left field for Philadelphia! He’s even worse than Morse. Interesting names at the bottom of that table, including Choo, Kemp, M. Cabrera, and Holliday. I’m not surprised by Holliday, but the other names surprise me a bit.

I partially agree with Joe Seamhead: statistical measures of defense are far from perfect. I do think they have some value, however.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Fish, how much value is a rating system that has Bonofacio rated as better than Span? I call bull feces on it.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Holliday is worse than Morse. He can’t even catch balls

• masterfishkeeper - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Try it for longer periods. For example, for 2013-2014 combined, Span is fourth in the NL, behind Gomez, Lagares, and Hamilton. Doesn’t that seem reasonable?

I’m not saying its perfect, but when you limit it to larger sample sizes, the names at the top and bottom of the tables make sense to me. Better than no stats at all.

• NatsLady - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Yes. They say you normally need three years to evaluate defensive stats. Two, at least, would be good for me. For example, how much would you say they deducted for Werth turning a possible single into a triple because the ballgirl didn’t move her chair. He’s looking better over the last week, but that one play could skew him completely.

22. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Any excuse to put up a picture of Mae West. One of my all-time favorites.

• natsfan1a - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:18 AM

She’s always a good pick, but I guessed that you’d have gone with this quote: “It’s not the men in my life, but the life in my men.” ;-)

• NatsLady - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:21 AM

oooo, good one! If the Nats keep winning, I’ll use that.

23. stoatva - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:12 AM

So AJ Burnett leads the league in walks, eh? That could play well for Nats in CB park.

24. thomaswell - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM

these types of comebacks really scare teams, the psychology gets into their heads.

25. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Nats Stats for Week 21 That was fun.