Game 130: Nats at Phillies

Aug 25, 2014, 3:39 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

PHILADELPHIA — Hello from Citizens Bank Park, where a red-hot Nationals club coming off a 9-1 homestand now hopes to keep things rolling on one of the longer and tougher road trips of the season. A cross-country trek to Seattle and then Los Angeles looms, but first up are three games against the foundering Phillies, who are currently on pace to lose 90 games for the first time in 14 years.

One notable difference in tonight’s series opener lineup: Asdrubal Cabrera, who had tightness in his right side after a swing during yesterday’s game, is out. That means Danny Espinosa gets the start against right-hander A.J. Burnett, one day after clubbing a home run from the left side of the plate.

Tanner Roark gets the start for the Nationals. Updates to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

RHP A.J. Burnett

UMPIRES
HP Jim Reynolds
1B Manny Gonzalez
2B Gary Cederstrom (cc)
3B Chris Segal

7:08 p.m. — We are underway with a strike from A.J. Burnett to Denard Span. There is nobody here tonight. I don’t ever remember a crowd this small in this ballpark.

7:12 p.m. — Burnett made very quick work of the top of the Nats’ lineup. He got Span to fly out, Anthony Rendon to ground out and then struck out Jayson Werth to complete a 9-pitch inning.

7:31 p.m. — Well, that was a scoreless bottom of the first for Tanner Roark, but it was also a laborious bottom of the first for the right-hander. He needed 32 pitches to face only five batters, with the Phillies lineup really battling him, especially Ryan Howard (who drew a 2-out walk to keep the inning going). Roark got out of the jam by striking out Marlon Byrd, but that’s way more effort than he wanted to expend in his first frame of the evening.

7:45 p.m. — Much better stuff from Roark in the bottom of the second. He retired the side on nine pitches, though Cody Asche did scorch a ball right at Danny Espinosa for the third out. The Nats, meanwhile, are still looking for their first baserunner against Burnett. Scoreless through two.

7:57 p.m. — Burnett is dealing so far tonight. He’s already got six strikeouts in three innings. The only Nat to reach base: Roark, who singled up the middle in the third.

8:15 p.m. — Still not much happening at the plate in this one. The Nats still have only Roark’s single and now Jayson Werth’s walk over four innings against Burnett, who has struck out seven. Roark has settled own since his shaky first inning, having now retired seven in a row. Still scoreless, bottom of the fourth.

8:25 p.m. — The Phillies had three clean hits in a row off Roark in the fourth, leading to the night’s first run, but the Nats didn’t exactly play crisp defense behind him. Werth misplayed Howard’s double off the wall in right. Worse, Espinosa couldn’t get to a sharp grounder to his right, one that could’ve turned into an inning-ending 4-6-3 double play. Instead, the ball scooted under his glove, bringing home a run. The Nats trail 1-0 after four.

8:39 p.m. — Burnett continues his domination. He’s now got 10 strikeouts in five scoreless innings. The only bright side from the Nats’ standpoint: Burnett is already up to 88 pitches, so perhaps he won’t get too far in this game even if he keeps this up. Still 1-0 Phillies heading to the bottom of the fifth.

8:47 p.m. — Ouch, Roark just hung a 2-0 offspeed pitch to Cody Asche (I thought it was a curveball, Pitch F/X says it was a changeup) and watched it soar deep into the right field bleachers. Whatever the pitch, that was a meatball. And it leaves the Nats trailing 2-0 heading to the sixth.

8:54 p.m. — The good news: Rendon got a run back for the Nats in the bottom of the sixth, smoking a first-pitch fastball to left for his 17th homer of the season. The bad news: Burnett struck out two more in the inning, both Werth and LaRoche, and now has 12 K’s in six innings. The Nats still trail 2-1.

9:23 p.m. — Hoo-boy, the Phillies get another run in the bottom of the seventh when Ruiz crushes a 3-2 fastball from Jerry Blevins. The Nats were fortunate it was a solo shot, not a 2-run homer, after Matt Williams successfully got a call overturned. Brown was initially called safe on a bloop double to left, but upon review, he was tagged out after a nice throw by Harper. Even so, it’s a 3-1 game with the Nats down to their final six outs.

9:36 p.m. — The Nats tried to get something going in the eighth, when Kevin Frandsen doubled to right-center (his eighth hit in his last 13 at-bats) and Werth drew a 2-out walk. That left it up to LaRoche in a tough spot, needing to deliver a hit off tough lefty Jake Diekman. LaRoche battled to a 2-2 count but then grounded out to first. So the Nats are still down 3-1 and now are down to their final three outs.

9:42 p.m. — Last chance for the Nats. It’s Desmond, Harper and Ramos in the ninth against Jonathon Papelbon, down 2 runs.

9:54 p.m. — Game over. Nats lose 3-2 after Ramos homered with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera followed with a pinch-hit single. Nate Schierholtz, though, rapped a sharp grounder to short to end the game. They drop the opener of this 9-game road trip and fall back to 20 games over the .500 mark.

1. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Cabrera will get at least two days off, with the lefty going tomorrow

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Really, not according to Asdrubal:

” @ZuckermanCSN: Asdrubal Cabrera says right side muscle feels “much better” today. Will go through regular pregame routine, thinks he could play if needed.”

• David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:04 PM

He was probably going to sit tomorrow anyway. Not guaranteed, because Matt did play him against a lefty last time, but I was expecting him to sit. No need to rush back and risk reinjury.

• Eric - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I agree, DP. Why risk it?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Eric – I probably wouldn’t risk it also but David’s comment was again said as a fact “Cabrera will get at least two days off”

I thought he had inside information or heard that somewhere. Everything I read was that Asdrubal was feeling much better and could play today if MW wanted him to.

Would I sit him for a couple of days, I would try to talk the player into it, but just like Werth, they talk themselves back into the lineup.

2. natsfan1a - Aug 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM

” but first up are three games against the foundering Phillies, who are currently on pace to lose 90 games for the first time in 14 years.”

Good.

Oh, yeah, right. The game. Go, Ro-ark! Go, NATS!! Feel better, Asdrubal.

3. nats2005 - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I was looking at what’s left game-wise.

Nats have 33 games including tonight. If they just went 16 – 17, they’d finish with 91 wins.

Barves, in order to tie with 31 games remaining, would have to go 23 – 8 the rest of the way, or a .742 winning percentage.

Hope the Nats can finish strong and get and have a strong winning record after this road trip.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Nats and Barves face each other 6 more times. That in itself has big implications with an 8 game lead. While all looks good for the Nats, this is still not a given.

• langleyclub - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:47 PM

For the 6 remaining Nats/Braves games to matter, the Braves need to make their move during the Nats 9 game road trip as the schedule tips to the Braves advantage until the Nats return on Sept. 5. While the Nats play 9 roadies at Phllly, Seattle and the Dodgers. The Braves play 3 at the Mets, and then 6 at home against the Marlins (the Marlins have played the Braves tough this year winning 7 of 12) and Phillies.

If the Nats can keep the lead at 7 or above through this road swing, the Nats would be relatively safe with a 7 game lead and 24 to play. BTW, it looks like King Felix is pitching Wednesday, which means the Nats will miss him in Seattle!

• Faraz Shaikh - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM

True that!

• veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Put a bow on this season

• npb99 - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM

If they only play .500 ball they are likely to win the division and enter the postseason lukewarm. Here’s hoping that they are red hot at the end of September.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Look at it this way: take away the six games against each other, the Nats have 27, the Barves 25 left. If the Nats go only 13-14 in those, ATL must go 15-10 just to stay within 6.

4. micksback1 - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:16 PM

The stretch run to the finish of the MLB sprint for contenders has by many accounts always been define as either after Labor day or the final 30 games. So I want to look at it from, say Nats go 18-12 the final 30 and let’s assume that they are no worse than 1-2 verse Philly, we are looking at 95 wins….not to bad

5. lovedanats - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Sorry to be off topic a bit. I own a partial plan and bought my postseason tickets this morning. This time WS tickets were not included. The only way I could get them was to renew my season plan now. So I did. When I requested to buy WS tickets I was told all they have are outfield accessible seats. No respect for the partial plan holders.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM

It really sucks that the partial plan ticket holders can’t get any consideration even if they put in requests early, renew for next year, and prepay.

6. micksback1 - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Two major similarities in 2014 as in 2012

2012, Gio in first season is ace of staff, 2014, Fister clearly has been the ace thus far, both were pivcked up during the off season

2012 Suzuki picked up at trade deadline and his impact was positive, Crebrera picked up at deadline and his impact speaks for itslelf

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Gio couldn’t go deep in either game he started in 2012. That was a problem mostly felt in Game 5. Also, I believe Davey leaned on Suzuki too much.

I think Rizzo’s move to bring in Asdrubal and Thornton have been large.

I had hoped he would have fortified the bench more but if RZim comes back, that could be what the team needs but September can be a further audition for Matty by the Minor League players.

TyMo was a key piece in the 2012 post-season with his only plate appearance which is the greatest Pinch-hit in Nats history with his 2 RBI single that were the GW RBIs. Davey never used him again the rest of the postseason.

• micksback1 - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:00 PM

all good points, and I forgot about thornton

its funny, Tyler Moore’s pinch hit in terms of DC baseball history is huge, yet very few remember it and in 0 years plus, it will be a difficult trvia question for or grand children and beyond t answer

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Greatest relief appearance was Ryan Mattheus. Comes in with bases loaded in place of Stammen and no outs and induces a 6-2 (Desi to Suzuki) on 1 pitch. Throws another pitch and gets the 6-4-3 doubleplay. 2 pitches, 3 outs, no runs score.

Mattheus and Moore show how large the youngsters can be.

I hope Matty’s gets some worthy players from Syracuse to fortify the team further.

7. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Apparently I need to preface every comment with “I think” or “In my opinion.” I thought that was implied because if I post something as fact, I typically source where I got it from.

• natsjackinfl - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I think a simple “Cabrera should” instead of “Cabrera will” is more in order when stating an opinion. But that’s just me.

• RPrecupjr - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:45 PM

My go-to is “my guess is”, because that’s all it is, unless I have reliable information…..which hasn’t happened yet ;)

• David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:47 PM

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Seems likely” would have worked well. But really, everyone is nitpicking a comment that probably wasn’t given a lot of thought.

On the other hand, the real problem with what you said is that you assumed that MW will play Espi against the lefty tomorrow, even if Cabrera is healthy. We’ve already seen that that is not the case, and Cabrera has made it clear to MW that he doesn’t want to be a platoon player. More importantly, while Espi owns Cliff Lee, his slash against Hamels in 20 PAs is .167/.250/.222. If Cabrera is healthy, he should start.

• natinalsgo - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Agreed Natsjack. I read that as a “given” and no, I’m not nitpicking. That’s twice this week that David has made statements of fact. “In my opinion” “I think” “Possibly” “certainly could” not WILL or IS.

• natinalsgo - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Furthermore, “my guess is” fine but I don’t know much! The reason I have stayed away was all the negativity however I read the pages and pass by much.

Great to see Natsjack posting. I came back yesterday to join in the fun. There are so many people who have left and won’t come back. I’m giving it another try but I shouldn’t be vilified for what some call nitpicking if I were to comment but I didn’t want to pile on. I wanted to but David is very defensive. Why does it need to be that way.

Give an opinion, it was a good opinion but certainly not fact.

• natinalsgo - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Ok now, I posted twice to comments that have disappeared. So much for commenting on my phone. Strange.

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Just to be clear Gonats, since I used the word “nitpick,” I was not “vilifying” you. For goodness sakes. I do think people overreacted a bit to DP’s comment, but I understand why they objected to it too. But please, don’t start with the “people are bashing me” schtick that some use here. It’s boring. If I remember correctly, you can be quite harsh in your comments from time to time. Don’t have such a thin skin when someone disagrees with you and you’ll enjoy your return to our shores much more.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:36 PM

FWIW, IMO, it doesn’t seem that difficult to me to be clearer in your attribution. At least, that’s what I think, but I could be wrong.

8. micksback1 - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:01 PM

meant to say 50 years plus Ghost

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I gotcha! Watching virtual unknowns make an impact I the postseason is huge.

Gene Tenace was my favorite underdog story from my younger years for his postseason impact.

9. nats106 - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM

In my opinion, I think that my best guess is that the Nats win tonight, lose tomorrow and win Wednesday.

No foundation or basis for this, other than I like the pitching matchups we have tonight and Wednesday. I went to 6 of the 10 games this past home stand and I already miss going!

• natsfan1a - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM

In my opinion, the above comment was amusing. Therefore, I laughed out loud.

10. nats128 - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Theres alot of enthusiasm here. I just think you take each game as it comes. I remember how nervous I was in 2012 around September 15th.

Why are people saying dont worry.

• natinalsgo - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Nats are scheduled to face AJ Burnett tonight, Hamels on Tuesday and Chris Young, Iwakuma in Seattle over the weekend and Kershaw on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Why would anyone declare the Nats have the Division. After this tough stretch the Nats have 6 games in September vs the Barfs.

• masterfishkeeper - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Because the Nats are better than the Braves?

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Because we have an 8 game lead with 33 to play. And they aren’t going to collapse. Stop villifying us! :-)

11. sjm308 - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I have read Mark’s primer on the call ups but am still thinking I don’t have this down.

As I understand. The people on the 25 man roster and any players on the dl are eligible for the playoffs. As we are probably bringing up 6 to 8 players on Sept. 1st, does that mean that none of them are eligible since they were not on the 25 man roster on Aug 31st? I love that Barrett and Treinan can help in the pen but would one of our regular bullpen guys have to be injured for either of these guys to make the playoff roster?

I understand that Souza can make that roster since he was put on dl and the same with Zimm. I guess the question there is who goes off the 25 man. Way too early to be playing with this but I want to know the rules.

The one rule I do understand is that an injury during the playoffs allows the team to make a move but I am hoping that we never have to use that rule.

Go Nats!! Win the 1st game of this series!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Treinen and Barrett are on the 7 day MiLB DL by the way. Does that make them eligible if they don’t come off that DL until after August 31?

• DaveB - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I’m no expert, but I read Mark’s primer to say that the Nats could substitute for anyone that was injured at the time of the playoffs (not just new injuries), so could substitue a Sept callup for Ohlendorf, McLouth, etc., giving them the flexibility to use just about anybody that is on, or they are willing to add to the 40-man.

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Mark’s primer is worth reposting in case anyone missed it:

The key points are this:

1. The “playoff eligible roster” is established on August 31 and includes guys on the 25-man and on the DL (also bereavement list and suspended list).

2. Anyone on the playoff eligible roster who is on the DL at the beginning of any playoff series can be replaced on the playoff eligible roster by anyone who was in the organization as of August 31.

3. The 25-man for each playoff series is selected from the playoff eligible roster as it stands at the start of that series.

Don’t know the answer to Ghost’s question about the minor league DL, but it seems likely that only the major league DL counts for that purpose. Those DL spots are kind of free spots anyway, so why would they expand them significantly? At any rate, the Nats will have at least 6 additional spots on their playoff eligible roster — McLouth, Zim, Souza, TJordan, Purke, Ohlendorf, and anyone else who goes down in the next week.

The key takeaway is that not only can Zim and Souza (if he stays on the DL) play in the post season, but they can be replaced on the playoff eligible roster by Taylor or whoever if MW doesn’t want to use them.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I hope Mark does another piece to mirror his 2012 piece.

#1 is clear.

#2 is clear if they are on the MLB DL. Unclear if they are on the MiLB DL

3. is clear and if you have to DL an eligible player you can choose from anyone.

Purke, TJord are both 40 man players who are on the MiLB DL and Ohlie isn’t on the 40 man so why would he count?

• DaveB - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Ghost … Re-read #1. The playoff roster includes everyone on the DL. Ohlie is on the DL, so he counts, and the Nats can substitute someone else for him.
        I assume the MiLB DL would not count, but that doesn’t really matter as Barrett or Treinen could be substituted for someone on the ML 60-day DL.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:01 PM

DaveB, I want to believe that is the case and I think it is but still want it crystal clear. The Pirates got bit on a roster move last year for someone who wasn’t eligible so it’s obviously complicated.

If a prerequisite is that a player is on the 40 man, why would a non-40 man player on the DL count? That would extend to A ball and Double A guys also so that doesn’t make sense to me.

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I agree it’s complicated. But 60-day DL guys can be removed from the 40 man, right? So whether you’re on the 40-man can’t be the deciding factor I would think.

Hopefully this discussion will lead Mark to update his primer. It’s obviously timely. All of who like to play a GM on TV are dying to know the answers.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Wouldn’t you have to be on the 40 man prior? I am dying to know.

In 2012, the team was very thin in the Minors and it didn’t matter.

This is a stacked minor league team.

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Wasn’t Ohlie on the 40 man? If not, how could he be on the MLB DL? Or is he on the MiLB DL?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:57 PM

MiLB DL and I’m wrong, Ohlie was on the 40 man and taken off to be put on the DL.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Add Erik Davis also if MiLB DL works. If so, the Nats would have 32 spots and 2 more if Treinen and Barrett qualify.

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:34 PM

In Mark’s primer he mentioned that Ramos was on the 60 day DL and would provide another playoff eligible slot. He was out for the season. Any idea if he was kept on the 40-man after his injury?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Ramos started on the active roster and put on the 15 day and then moved to the 60 day which took him off of the 40 man and that definitely opens a spot for the postseason as he was injured on the 25 man like Souza and RZim. No doubt about them.

Doubtful Ohlie opens a spot. Good thoughts on Treinen, Barrett, Purke, and TJord.

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:31 PM

In 2012, we got an extra roster spot according to Mark’s primer for Cole Kimball. He pitched in the majors, but was he on the 25 man when he went on the DL? The others Mark mentioned were H-Rod, Solano, and CMWang. All of them were on the 25 man when injured. I’ll be interested in the answer to this one.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:13 PM

It was much easier in 2012, this year you will have some legit guys in Syracuse.

12. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Seems like Burnett either shuts us out or gives up 7 runs. Here’s hoping it’s the latter.

13. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:06 PM

“David Proctor – Aug 25, 2014 at 4:47 PM
    Well I was stating what I think will happen, not necessarily what should happen. That’s why I used “will” and not “should.””

There you go again. You know the difference. If you felt that way you should have written “Cabrera will get at least two days off, IN MY OPINION”

When all is said and done, he might get 2 days off. Better safe than sorry with these types of tweaks.

• David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Yes, I do know the difference, but you also have the reading comprehension skills to understand what I meant. These constant semantics arguments are tiring. I’ll be sure to include “IN MY OPINION” in any post expressing my opinion from here on. Just for you, Ghost.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I really didn’t. I read it as you had legit info to make that statement.

I’m moving on from this. I enjoyed agreeing with you most of the weekend. Sorry you think I pick on you.

14. micksback1 - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM

very interesting… you know back in 2012, Mattehus was pitching well and was confident..imagine how history is changed if Davey had pulled Storen for Mattheus earlier in the inning??

if I recall, Mattheus was in BP throwing

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:56 PM

If only he didn’t break his hand. He had one of the best sinkers in the game.

15. natsfan1a - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Don’t make me stop this car and come back there, children.

16. chrisrw109 - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Fun fact. In today’s version of the 30 on Grantland, guess which team is at the top of the heap?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I will bite, the Nats?

• natinalsgo - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM

8. Milwaukee Brewers (72-58, +33, LW: 5)
      7. Seattle Mariners (71-58, +106, LW: 8)
      6. Kansas City Royals (72-57, +35, LW: 7)
      5. Los Angeles Dodgers (74-58, +49, LW: 6)
      4. Baltimore Orioles (73-55, +56, LW: 4)
      3. Los Angeles Angels (77-52, +99, LW: 1)
      2. Oakland A’s (76-53, +160, LW: 2)
      1. Washington Nationals (75-54, +107, LW: 3)

Notice where Grantland had the Nats 1 week ago: #3. Ahead of the Orioles. On our own home town Nats Insider, the opposite and their Power Rankings were after the 10 game winning streak. On the much hated ESPN, Nats #1 in their Power Rankings.

While it mean nothing really since it moves from week to week, it’s still a lack of respect to put the Ohs ahead of the Nats given the fork in the road at I-295.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Don’t get me started as we discussed offline.

17. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Bad Citizens Ballpark is empty.

• nats128 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:12 PM

The applause is so muted that it sounds like a golf clap.

18. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM

• nats128 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:16 PM

You better let Matt Williams know and Rick Schu.

19. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:16 PM

9 pitch inning… Just smart…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:21 PM

When the bottom of the order does it, I understand. I expect the 1 to 3 to take pitches and work the count like Jayson Werth attempted to do.

20. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I thought Utley got it.

• nats128 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Off the end of his bat and still took it to the wall in the band box.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I did too…

21. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Roark going to 30 pitches in the 1st. Not good.

22. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:27 PM

25 pitches already… Yikes…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM

See my post above. Indeed, not good. High stress inning. He had a K man in Howard and wouldn’t throw him a breaker.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Everything is up… Wonder if him getting closer and closer to the max innings is getting to him… As, to me, he has been getting by on a lot of lucky, lately…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Mrsb, I keep hearing about an innings limit on Tanner from people here but never heard a word from MW or Rizzo on it.

Given his age (28), I don’t know if its apples to apples to the younger arms.

23. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:32 PM

How very Gio-esque of Roark that inning

24. scnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Now he just needs back to back three pitch innings to get back on track

25. nats128 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:36 PM

ALR and Desi at least working Burnett.

26. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:37 PM

No FP, Desi’s HR yesterday didn’t make it 5-1. I think that made it 6-3.

27. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Ump is helping Burnett.

28. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Thought that was a poor pitch but good frame….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM

MASN doesn’t show us the Pitch Track so who the bleep knows.

• nats128 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Angelos must pay a royalty on the Graph because they sure are stingey with it.

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I’ve wondered about that. Some broadcasts show the pitchtrack while the pitch is being delivered live. That’s so much better. Why not do it?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Great question. I like it when it’s accurate!

29. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM

“David Proctor – Aug 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    Swinging early in the count against Burnett is the worst thing you can do. He will walk everyone if you let him”

Desi heard you and it didn’t work but I think your point is well taken that you have to work Burnett.

30. Danny - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM

We plan on swinging at any strikes tonight..

31. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Swinging early is not smart on Burnett, but it is OK to swing at strike 2 and 3, which neither of the last 2 batters bothered.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Was that 6th pitch to Desi in the zone? Looked up and in to me but who knows.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Pitch track said on the top line legit strike.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Which pitch track are you referring to?

32. Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:46 PM

FP was half right. Desi got the party started on our big 6th inning comeback yesterday. But it was 6-2 when he hit it, not 5-0. Hard to believe some producer didn’t whisper in his ear afterwards. Revisonist history after just one day rarely works.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:50 PM

You owe me a drink ;)

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:53 PM

hee hee. Nah, I saw yours. Just verified it since you weren’t sure. However, I did give you credit when FP corrected himself.

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:53 PM

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Thanks. FP corrected himself. He must read NI ;)

33. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM

So is Scott. Hairston. The Hamels killer gonna play tomorrow????

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Me and FP has ESP… Cuz I just started thinking it when they said Hamels was pitching….

34. Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:49 PM

There you go FP. Either a producer got to him, or he read Ghost’s comment.

35. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:53 PM

He continuely falls behind, but when he throws a strike we cannot hit the ball if we bother to swing.

Yet Roark hits the fast ball no one else could. Though pretty much the sa,me spot

36. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Denard fights hard, but strikes out on one that is hard to believe was ever near the strike zone. Identifies pitch after pitch, but couldn’t identify the lousy last one.

37. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Span is due for a homer. This is the park to do it in

38. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Full count to the pitcher? At least he got him out. 6 pitches to the pitcher.

• nats128 - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Battled back from 3-0 to Revere. Tanner still not pushing down on his pitches.

39. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Ben Revere no walks 158 at bats why throw him so many balls.

• nats128 - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Was he trying or missing his spots. You answer that question and you will have the answer to your WHY

40. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Roark can’t get the runback fastball to actually run back tonight.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:06 PM

To strong to night.

41. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Notice phillies ball girl just as bad as ours. Didn’t mover chair.

Glad yesterdays became a moot point.

42. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I still can’t believe the bulk of the Phoolies who were trade bait are still on their roster.

43. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I’m wondering which Nat hits the 1st HR tonight, Werth or LaRoche?

44. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Werthblooked at ump both pick off attempts like he thought they were balks.

45. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:17 PM

We look very in-between tonight to me. We’re taking pitches in the zone and swinging at pitches out of the zone.

46. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM

King Felix now pitches Friday. Yuck. Nats will face the Mariners 1-2-3

• veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM

No worries. This team has it.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Why???? Becuz of their off days?

Maybe he will be too strong…

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Last I looked this afternoon was Wednesday. Kershaw Monday

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:23 PM

My at bat says Wednesday still.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Mariners beat writer reported they were pushing him back and I think they have an off-day on Thursday.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM

He pitched Friday, so his regular day would be Wednesday, they are off Thursday. I thought they would try keep him on the same rotation to pitch the wild card game.

47. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Had Werth played back, that was a single

48. veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Good thing Howard is a slug out there.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:38 PM

We didn’t take advantage of his sluggishness as he still scored.

49. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Come on Espinosa. You have to make that play. COme on

50. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Sigh…. What the world Danny….

51. scnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Danny

52. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Horrible defense this inning.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Lately fielding is the only time the Nats have trouble. Not sure what was doing.

53. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM

What the hell is Espinosa playing for if he isn’t going to get double play. Looked like an easy play for his skills.

But he is worthless to the team if he isn’t going field excellently.

54. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Come on Nats bats… Let’s score 2/3 here….

55. Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Ah yes. The surehanded Danny Espinosa. Great range, great arm, overrated glove.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:29 PM

He fields basically no better than Cabrera, and doesn’t hit anywhere near him.

56. Joe Seamhead - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Who was it the other day that was insisting that Espinosa’s defense was vastly superior to Cabrera’s? That is the most grossly exaggerated unsubstantiated rumor ever spread on this board.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Marginally better at most. Pathetic on that pkay.

57. veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:31 PM

It’s easy to pile on Espi. Give the kid a break.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:35 PM

He is a professional he can handle it.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM

I wasn’t piling on him. I just think that his defensive prowess is overrated on this board. He’s good. Not great. Not Gold Glove. He just isn’t.

58. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Thinking back. Had Werth fielded the wall right, Howard singles. He would never score from second on that hit by Brown.

59. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM

I can’t figure Shh we either crush Burnett or look like fools against him.

60. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Roark has had our best ABs of the night.

61. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Meatball

62. Danny - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Asche kills us.

63. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Well you can’t blame Espi for Roark leaving a change up hanging over the middle of the plate.

64. scnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Just a matter of time before someone got all of one.
    The 8 hitter launching one.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:46 PM

When you throe a hanging change up you expect it. My guess if Burnett would pitch one like thatwe would homer too.

65. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Ball 1 was way in the zone with my eyes and pitch track

66. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM

5 strike strikeout.

67. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Now it is time to quit swinging at Burnett’s crap. Swing at the fast balls in the strike zone, let everything else for for now.

68. Hiram Hover - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Anthony!

69. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM

He didn’t get my memo even though the ump was wrong. Lay off the curves.

70. Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:55 PM

12 Ks in 6 innings. Ouch.

71. Danny - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Every now and then LaRoche has a game where it looks like he doesn’t know how to hit a baseball.

72. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Roark was pretty much awful today with his location…and gave up 2 runs over 6 innings. How does he do it?

73. veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM

This is where we take the lead. Burnett should be close to done.

74. Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Fun article on Fangraphs about two amazing homers this weekend. One was Hunter Pence’s off of JZnn obviously. Here’s the most amazing stat:

“A grand total of nine hitters managed home runs on fastballs thrown four feet off the ground when in an 0-2 hole since 2008.”

How they can find that out, I have no idea, but it’s pretty cool.

75. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I’m amazed Roark made it thru 6…

76. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Wow, that’s a hit? Ok….

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

That should be an error on Brown. Plus he hot dogged it. Terrible official scoring call.

77. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM

1 pitch… 1 out… Ugh….

78. Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Someone here said last night that he was looking forward to seeing Domenic Brown show us that he’s even worse than Morse out in left. Hat tip to you, whoever you are.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Yes, astute comment off of the FanGraphs I posted that Dom Brown was right there with Morse. He just doesn’t care and that’s the difference. I’d pull Brown after that play. What a joke.

79. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

What in the hell…. Are they doing….

80. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

That was atrocious.

81. veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

5 pitch inning? Come on.

82. Danny - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Great abs guys. Should be used to Burnett at this point.

83. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Just F******* DUMB….. Ugh….

84. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Nats are given the gift horse and return it.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM

I’m so heated right now…. I mean, ugh I’m heated….

85. Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM

That’s pretty bad. Not only because we didn’t score but because the 5 pitch inning will allow Burnett to pitch another inning.

86. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Keep first pitch swinging and hacking… Just keep at it…

Dumb as bricks…

87. veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Ugh…Blevins…like throwing in the towel.

88. Joe Seamhead - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM

FP is right!

89. Joe Seamhead - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM

They got it right in NY.

90. veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Yesssssssssss. ….Blevins owes you a beer Harp

91. Joe Seamhead - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Have I ever mentioned that I thought that trading for Jerry Blevins was a mistake?

92. veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Blevins blows…DFA his azz. I’m sure someone in the minors can do better.

93. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:20 PM

This Blevins is just killing me. Why Matt why do you have him go past the LOOGY part he was brought in for?

94. scnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Rizzo has made some great decisions but Blevins was not one of them

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

He shouldn’t be used against righties… He is a Loogy only… MW keeps trying to do other stuff with him….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

He didn’t even get Dominic Brown the lefty out. He singled and Bryce got him out!

• senators69 - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:34 PM

95. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Blevins against a righty, that happens. WHEN. WILL. MATTY. LEARN?

96. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Each and every time MW puts Blevins in for more than 1 batter, I feel like he concedes the game…. I say that each and every Time….

• veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Prerty much 1 run given up guaranteed. Very annoying.

97. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Rendon robs Revere or else this inning is still going. Blevins just proves once again he’s a LOOGY at best. He can’t carry his weight on this team.

• senators69 - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM

98. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I am not a rocket scientist, but the evidence is overwhelming, that Blevins must not pitch to righties.

Is MW just that slow a learner?

Just use him to relieve someone to pitch to the lefty them
    N leave. Is that too much of a concept for MW to understand.

99. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Rendon is the only one who came to play apparently.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Harper?

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Frandsen.

Damn Rendon’s ball 2 feet to far.

Come on Werth you are due to piss off the fans

100. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Here we go with a 3run 8th…. Let’s do it…

101. veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Franman!

102. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Blevins of course made this much harder, but again I blame MW’ Blevins is what he is and MW refuses to acknowledge Blevins has limitations.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Blevins has to carry his weight and its so close to September callups they are clearly keeping Blevins.

103. Joe Seamhead - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:31 PM

The day the trade for Blevins was made I got admonished for my disapproval ( I purposely didn’t post the poster’s name that accused me of not grasping ” the context” of the trade after I voiced my displeasure with the trade ):$

I’m not going to repeat myself as my opinion has been stated above. You are sorely missing out on the context behind this deal of you think Rizzo got “Beaned”
    ——–

Joe Seamhead – Dec 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    Well, excuse me for stating my opinion. I’m very aware of the context of the trade, but I don’t like who we got. I don’t think much of Blevins. If the trade had been for Sean Doolittle I would’ve liked it a lot better. Just my opinion.

• senators69 - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:35 PM

++++++++1

• Section 222 - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Too bad we didn’t get Doolittle. :-)

104. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Come on ALR, prove you can hit lefties

105. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:34 PM

This blue is kinda wack…

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Agreed!

106. Danny - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Gonna have to do it off papelbum

107. David Proctor - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Another play that has to be made. It’s not an easy play, but come on.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Double play makes it moot.

108. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Best pitch for hitting purpose was the first pitch inner middle fast balls. That one could be hit hard. Strike 2 was a foot outside, but mostly done because 0-1, then he hit off speed pitch on top for an easy grounder.

Taking a fastball strike 1 I donkt like, but accept early in the game. Later in the game you need to hit fastballs.

109. veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Any comeback magic left in that bag? Hope so.

• manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Well at least we have a cushion if not.

But Burnett sucks so much it is a shame to not clobber him.

110. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Palpibon leaves a hit table for Desmond twice he fouls one and misses the other completely

111. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Are we just not interested in fast balls in the middle?

• Danny - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:50 PM

We’ve taken/whiffed on many center cut pitches today it seems

112. veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Vamos ramos!

113. coollikelivo - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:51 PM

RAMOS!!!!

114. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:51 PM

We have swung at a lot of balls, and not enough strikes.

If Blevins had done his job we are fine.

115. coollikelivo - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM

What are we gonna do about Brycepinosa? I am Fed Up with this clown.

• Danny - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Bryce does k way too much

116. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM

And the Blevins fail looms even larger….

Way to go Buffalo….

117. Danny - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Danny gets the shaft

118. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Anyone notice SpDesmond and Harper swung way too hard, and Ramos swung easy. Fastballs you don’t have to swing as hard

119. veejh - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Yeeeeespi!

120. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Schirholtz instant hero?

121. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:54 PM

KEEP THE LINE MOVING NATE!!!!!!

122. nats128 - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I guess Asdrubal doesnt care what the NatsInsiders say.

123. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Hit hard, but they fielded him correctly.

124. Danny - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Least we fought at the end. Start Cabrera tomorrow

125. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Nats outplayed themselves. Men on 2nd and no outs and you can’t make productive outs that have been a trademark of this team plus Blevins cr-pping himself again is the difference.

126. Mrsb loves the Nats - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Frustrating….

127. manassasnatsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:00 PM

MWagain has to take the blame. Why was Blevins ever pitching a righty.

Of course Espi screwing around on Dominic Brown’s hit cost a run too.

Little things beat us.