Aug 26, 2014, 6:41 PM EST
PHILADELPHIA — Adam LaRoche was out of the Nationals’ lineup Tuesday night. Not because left-hander Cole Hamels was on he mound for the Phillies, but because of tightness in his back.
“He’s been dealing with a tight back for three or four days,” manager Matt Williams said. “Today it’s a little worse. It’s an opportunity to give him some rest, too. But he woke up this morning tight, so [the trainers] are going to work on him hard today and hopefully he’ll be good to go tomorrow.”
LaRoche had been playing through some mild discomfort in recent days, but it progressed to the point Tuesday where he couldn’t play. Williams originally had him penciled into his starting lineup but scratched the veteran first baseman after meeting with him at Citizens Bank Park.
Injury or not, LaRoche hasn’t gotten much time off lately. He had played every inning in the Nationals’ 24 games so far this month, four of them going extra innings. After a hot start to August, he is hitting just .156 (5-for-32) over his last nine games.
“He’s been playing a lot,” Williams said. “He’s been on the bases a lot. We’ve had some long games lately. All of that contributes to it. But he was in there originally until we talked today. He’s a little tight. But he’ll be good.”
With LaRoche out, Kevin Frandsen started at first base for only the fourth time this season.
Though he doesn’t intend to use him off the bench Tuesday night, Williams is hopeful LaRoche will be able to return to the lineup for Wednesday night’s series finale.
“I think he’ll be ready tomorrow,” the manager said. “But we’ll see how he wakes up in the morning.”
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust