Aug 28, 2014, 3:40 PM EST
While the Nationals square off against the Mariners in a rare series at Safeco Field, leading the charge in the Seattle dugout will be a familiar face.
Trent Jewett – who spent 2009 through 2013 in the Nationals’ organization – will be standing in to coach the Mariners, as manager Lloyd McClendon will be away attending his daughter’s wedding. Jewett managed the Potomac Nationals from 2009 to 2010 before later serving as the first base coach in Washington.
Jewett left the Nationals this offseason to become the bench coach for the Mariners. He is expected to manage the Friday and Saturday games before McClendon returns on Sunday.
Todd Dybas of The Washington Times tweeted the news on Thursday. The columnist actually joined Tim Murray and I on ‘Baseball in the District’ this week to preview Nats-Mariners.
You can listen to that here:
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera