Aug 28, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
While the Nationals square off against the Mariners in a rare series at Safeco Field, leading the charge in the Seattle dugout will be a familiar face.
Trent Jewett – who spent 2009 through 2013 in the Nationals’ organization – will be standing in to coach the Mariners, as manager Lloyd McClendon will be away attending his daughter’s wedding. Jewett managed the Potomac Nationals from 2009 to 2010 before later serving as the first base coach in Washington.
Jewett left the Nationals this offseason to become the bench coach for the Mariners. He is expected to manage the Friday and Saturday games before McClendon returns on Sunday.
Todd Dybas of The Washington Times tweeted the news on Thursday. The columnist actually joined Tim Murray and I on ‘Baseball in the District’ this week to preview Nats-Mariners.
You can listen to that here:
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates