Aug 28, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
While the Nationals square off against the Mariners in a rare series at Safeco Field, leading the charge in the Seattle dugout will be a familiar face.
Trent Jewett – who spent 2009 through 2013 in the Nationals’ organization – will be standing in to coach the Mariners, as manager Lloyd McClendon will be away attending his daughter’s wedding. Jewett managed the Potomac Nationals from 2009 to 2010 before later serving as the first base coach in Washington.
Jewett left the Nationals this offseason to become the bench coach for the Mariners. He is expected to manage the Friday and Saturday games before McClendon returns on Sunday.
Todd Dybas of The Washington Times tweeted the news on Thursday. The columnist actually joined Tim Murray and I on ‘Baseball in the District’ this week to preview Nats-Mariners.
You can listen to that here:
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig