Instant Analysis: Nats 8, Mariners 3

Aug 30, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT

Photo by USA Today Photo by USA Today

GAME IN A NUTSHELL: The Nationals entered Friday night in a three-game skid going up against the best right-hander of his generation. Few on their roster had ever faced Felix Hernandez, and those who had found no luck.

But for some reason, in a development that no one could have predicted, the Nats slapped around King Felix for the worst start of his 2014 season, the worst start he’s had in a calendar year. Felix may still win the AL Cy Young, but this particular game will not make the resumé tape.

The Nationals struck for four home runs off Hernandez, the most he has allowed in his 10-year career. Anthony Rendon was the first to cash in and it happened on the first pitch he ever saw from the superstar.

The second home run was a two-run bomb to center field by Jayson Werth. In the fourth inning the Nats then saw shots from Wilson Ramos and Ian Desmond. The latter established a career-high 81 RBI for Desmond.

They then added two more home runs off former National Joe Beimel for six in total, the most they’ve had in a single game since Sept. 5, 2012. Only four times since the Nats moved to D.C. have they hit six homers.

Hernandez had not allowed five earned runs since Aug. 28 of last season. He is now 13-5 with a 2.23 ERA on the year.

The Nationals moved to 76-57 with the win and lead the NL East by six games. The Braves beat Marlins Friday night, 5-2.

HITTING HIGHLIGHT: Werth’s homer makes this category because it gave the Nationals their go-ahead run. It came in the third inning on an 0-1 slider, a low pitch he got under to loft over the fence in center field. Werth brought home Rendon, who ended the day 4-for-4 with a homer, double, single and a walk.

Bryce Harper also homered in the eighth inning for the 50th of his career. That moves him to fourth place all time among left-handed batterss under 22. Here is the top 5:

Mel Ott – 86
Eddie Matthews – 72
Ken Griffey – 60
Bryce Harper – 50
Ted Williams – 49

PITCHING HIGHLIGHT: In what marked his 10th win of the season, Jordan Zimmermann had one bad inning. In the bottom the first, Zimmermann gave up two runs on singles to Kendry Morales and Kyle Seager. That was it.

After getting out of the second with his team down a run, Zimmermann settled in to go six innings with eight strikeouts, seven hits and a walk. It was his seventh straight quality start.

Zimmermann is now 10-5 on the season with a 2.93 ERA through 165 2/3 innings. He now has 16 strikeouts in his last two starts (14.0 IP) and is just 14 away from setting a career-high.

KEY STAT: Desmond has won two straight NL Silver Slugger awards. Tonight he set a career-high with 81 RBI and it’s not even September yet.

UP NEXT: The Nationals and Mariners continue their series with a 9:10 p.m. start on Saturday night. Stephen Strasburg (10-10, 3.59) will go up against rookie left-hander Roenis Elias (9-11, 4.01). Former Nat Chris Young was originally scheduled to pitch, but the Mariners switched their plans on Friday.

1. Scooter - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:34 AM

Wow.

2. Eric - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:53 AM

FaaaaaaaaaaanTASTIC!!!

3. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:24 AM

Great game! Seattle fans around us were stunned by King Felix’s quasi-meltdown. Scoreboard showed that by the end of the evening he had given up 13 HRs for the season, four of which came in tonight’s game. Incredible. The so-called ‘King’s Court’ a couple of sections over from us was screaming for Ks, but only got one (and even that seemed like a marginal called third strike). The only reason the Seattle fans stuck around until the end was a post-game fireworks show (which made our departure easier). Back tomorrow for, we hope, more of the same. GYFNG!

4. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:30 AM

BTW, the most annoying bit of the game was that they used Fernando Rodney’s full-blown, pre-recorded closer entrance (video highlights on the scoreboard, loud music) for his 9th inning mop-up appearance (I assume he needed the work). Even the Seattle fans were complaining that you shouldn’t have the scoreboard video show when he’s entering a game five or six runs down.

5. laddieblahblah - Aug 30, 2014 at 5:43 AM

That was totally unexpected and much appreciated.

I am wondering what the season would have been like if both Ramos, Zim and Harper had not injured their hands, almost right out of the box. How often do 3 sluggers from the same team undergo surgery on a hand?

It sure looks like Harper and Ramos have regained their power strokes, which have been missing from the offense for most of the year, in addition to Zim’s long absences from the lineup. Those 3 are probably the 3 best power hitters the Nats have.

Felix has never been hit so hard.

• rayvil01 - Aug 30, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Good point. The injuries to the team are going to be forgotten if they keep winning. But, the lineup lost a lot of punch this season. The good news is that the pop is coming back for September. The only question is RZ. Saw a headline that said he had a good MRI yesterday. The sooner he gets back the better. He needs a couple of weeks to get his stroke back once he returns.

• NatsLady - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:30 AM

That’s what scouts & analysts saw in spring training. That’s why they thought the Nats would run away with it.

• NatsLady - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Actually, he has. Much harder.See almost exactly one year ago, August 28, 2013. All pitchers have clunkers, even Felix, even Cueto (we know that!), even Kershaw (here’s hoping). See almost exactly one year ago, August 28, 2013. Also, Rendon’s MVP case, well, just some numbers. Here.

6. Candide - Aug 30, 2014 at 6:27 AM

• natsfan1a - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Niiiice. But I think you meant Mariners.

• texas nats fan - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Well, I’m sure the Marlins were at least a little surprised too.

• Section 222 - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Yeah !! Well done Sir.

• Doc - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Who dat guy in du picture?

The Nats have no one with the #23 on their roster.

• Hiram Hover - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Wil Nieves.

• Candide - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Jhonaton Solano.

And MARINERS!!!! ARGGGHHH!

• Hiram Hover - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Confused my back up catchers!

Love this way of tracking the magic #, btw.

• Doc - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Jhonaton Solano or Wil Nieves???

How many homers did they hit for the Nats last night in Seattle?

Jhonaton was playing with the Syracuse Chiefs last night. Our guy Wil hasn’t played for the Nats in several years—he’s a Philthy now!!!

• Candide - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Jhonaton is on the 40-man roster.

• 6ID20 - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Looking forward to the Manny Acta photo when the number hits 14.

7. rmoore446 - Aug 30, 2014 at 6:38 AM

I turned it off to go to bed when it was 2-1 Seattle but curiosity had me turn it back on to check the score just in time to catch the fireworks.

A most unexpected but highly welcome game. The power looks to be back!

8. Pete "Hit 'n Run" Wood - Aug 30, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Waking up to this news is even better than a good cuppa!

9. rayvil01 - Aug 30, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Nice pic of Harper at impact for his homer. He’s much more upright and stacked over his right leg. When he was scuffling his fanny had pulled out and left him disconnected. This is a really good sign. Saw that he has more homers than Ted Williams did at his age. Still have to pinch myself and remember how young he is.

10. natsfan1a - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Oh, my. A very happy, and somewhat unexpected, games results email. I guess there’s a reason they play the games on turf instead of on paper. Atta way, Z’nn. Atta way, Nats.

11. natsfan1a - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Waitaminnit. Six homers, and four of them off Mr. Felix? Oh, my. I guess I’ll be watching the recording while the cat and I hole up in the basement and avoid the house-painters. Yes, indeedy. (No, you cannot watch Animal Planet. Maybe later. It’s baseball time, kitty. Hey! Get off the remote control. I see what you’re doing.)

12. ehay2k - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Wow. I came home last night and they were down 2-1,then the tater parade started. That was fun. Felix left some balls up, but the Nats still had to hit them, and hard, so credit is due to the hitters. Especially Ramos’ second HR, because he hit a good pitch down and away. Also tip of the cap to Schu, who clearly gave the Nats a good attack plan to start with.

Last but not least, kudos to Zimmnn for just staying the course and pitching. Nothing seems to rattle him these days.

Another game tonite.

GYFNG!!!

13. Section 222 - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Remember the guy who said the Nats’ bats always go silent for at least a week after an explosion like last Sunday against the Giants?

Hahahahahahaha!

14. natszee - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:08 AM

My son had a sleep over last night. When I picked him up this morning, the first thing he asked was “how did the Nat’s do last night Dad?”. I used an expression than my Father used to use 40 years ago and I have not used or heard since he passed. I said ” they pulverized them!!!! “.

I love it!

• natsfan1a - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:20 AM

My 90-year-old aunt says “they beat the pants off them.” :-)

15. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:12 AM

LaRoche is back in a funk in offense and defense. He has had a season of big ups and a couple downs around his back issues. The entire month of July was a funk .159/.238/.227/.465

What do you do. I think with rosters expanding its time to get LaRoche some real rest.

• masterfishkeeper - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Good idea, but why wait for roster expansion? How about starting Frandsen today against Elias, the lefty?

Does Hairston DH today?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I don’t understand why they push LaRoche when they know he’s hurt. He had a day off on Thursday and could’ve given him back to back to back if they rested him Friday.

• dcwx61 - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM

and when Zimm comes back…

16. Drew - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Harper’s achievement is extremely rare in baseball history.

According to Baseball Reference, 51 players have hit 400 or more career home runs.

Only eight had hit 50 by the end of their year 21 season: Ott (86), Mathews (72), Frank Robinson (67), Aroid (64), Griffey (60), Mantle (57), Ted Williams (54) and … Andruw Jones (54).

I’m sure there are a couple of shooting stars in the annals. For instance, Tony Conigliaro had 84 homers through his age 21 season.

The point is that Harper is still a kid, but he’s already stalking history.

In case you’re wondering, Trout had 62 homers through his age 21 season. Miguel Cabrera had 45.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM

It’s staying healthy. Good compilation of stats. Glad Bryce is shutting up his haters. Amazing how many preside here on NI.

• habs3 - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:50 AM

You are so annoying with your judgmental comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Who made you the self appointed expert on this blog? You are not only insufferable but you are a braggart and bore. We have to put with your comments on daily basis and no one is rude to you.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I’m a Bryce supporter. Sorry you don’t like it. Just read past my posts.

17. Doc - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Two upper hand batting thumbs are getting much better, just in time for the playoffs.

Go Buffalo and Bryce!

18. micksback1 - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:22 AM

what a game watched the whole thing, Soriano of course made me a little nervous. ALR 0-14? Again, if he is hurt, rest him.

Rendon is a BEAST…. Loved watching the Mariner fans drop their stupid K signs as game went on. Hard to believe Nats were swept by Phillies who of course lose to Mets last night

• sjm308 - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Nice job of staying up Mick!!
      This is what makes all sports great. You never know who is going to best who on any given day.
      Sort of the same reason not to rush to judgement on a players ability or character after one or two games.
      I do think LaRoche needs some time off but I hate the idea of Frandsen over there. Help is on the way in a day or two,and if Ryan could continue to heal, we have a nice little platoon thing working as well.

Go Nats!!

• micksback1 - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM

agree Coach, but, i think Frandsen has played very well the past month.

I am addicted to my Nats, lol

19. Hiram Hover - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Wow–it’s a sign of how much we take Rendon for granted that he is not front and center in this discussion.

Rendon was perfect at the plate–4 for 4 with a BB, and the first of the HRs torched off the deposed (for a day, at least) King Felix–and he doesn’t get more than a passing mention in Chase’s “Hitting Highlights.”

20. mauimo22 - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Think it’s time to update that picture – I believe that old #23 is none other than Jesus Flores, an old backup catcher.

• coollikelivo - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM

No Flores was #26 — I bought his T.I. jersey when he looked like the stud catcher of the long term future for us. Very sad how injuries derailed his career. Per FanGraphs, he’s now with the Royals AAA team, hitting .248 with 5 HR in 150 P.A.s. Would love to see him make a comeback somewhere somehow….

• coollikelivo - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Oh, and btw, he was a starter for chunks of at least two years with the Nats.

• coollikelivo - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Shoot, nevermind, looks like he was released by the Royals end of July….. bummer.

• natsfan1a - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Bummer about Flores (and agreed that it looks like Solano).

21. masterfishkeeper - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:24 AM

In other good news, the Dodgers are going to activate and start Ryu tomorrow, because he has better stats against the Padres, and use Hernandez against the Nats, because he has good stats this year against the Nats. I think this is a break for the Nats, as I’d rather face a 34 year old waiver wire pickup than Ryu, who is seriously good, head to head stats or no.

22. tcostant - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Chris Young is scared

• TimDz - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Young is a soft tosser that lives up in the zone….induces a lot of pop ups…If I recall, the Nats had a hard time with him when he pitched for the Mets….

• Eric - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM

His start was moved back…some rookie tonight insread. Is Yoing going tomorrow?

23. TimDz - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Couple of thoughts….
    1) SS needs to step up tonight and the bats need to treat this rookie with a 4.01 ERA like a rookie….and NOT Cy Young
    2) Regarding the sweep by Philly…teams are going to be geared up for us….Even though we have had our way with the Mets, don’t expect them to roll over….
    3) Rendon was, IMHO, Rizzo’s best draft decision. I’m guessing the five teams that passed on him are probably somewhat bitter (granted, I don’t know exactly WHO was drafted ahead of him). He may end up being something even more special than he already is….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM

The Rendon bandwagon has more room and the only question was his health.

I gave an initial scouting report on Rendon that he doesn’t get intimidated in 2 strike counts. Others could learn from him that 2 strike counts aren’t a giveaway.

The other thing about Rendon is that he is the Nats best hitter from the 6th inning on for the Nats and Top 15 in the Majors.

24. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Kilgore and I agree on something. Span is right with him. What an amazing 1-2 punch.

“@AdamKilgoreWP: Anthony Rendon, 4 for 4 last night, has been the Nats’ MVP. http://t.co/qk6Abh8ELh

• Hiram Hover - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM

That’s what I’m talking about!

• dcwx61 - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM

25. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Just listening to some sports radio and Jerry Jones drama. Then they give a quote and I will paraphrase.

Q to Adam Jones: What’s your favorite place to visit in Baltimore

A: The airport so I can fly away from this place

Later he says he was joking. What a dope.

• NatsLady - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I feel sorry for players having to do this kind of schtick. I know it’s in their contract, and I know they have to, but I’m sure a lot of them HATE it. I know I hated it, absolutely hated and dreaded it when I had to. I’m sure there are players who do enjoy it, and of course Jones should know better.

But I feel like when their work day is over, it should be over. And their work day, for me, consists of playing baseball and all the training, etc. that goes into playing baseball. Which would fans rather have, a funny, outgoing type who is good a schmoozing, or an All-Star centerfielder on a winning team?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM

It was a paid event. If the Nats charged $50 per head they would be crushed for that.

If you can’t be nice don’t do the gig. Nobody forced him to do it and it wasn’t his only nasty comment. That one got the most pub.

There are many double standards here. If Bryce Harper uttured those words [insert DC] it would be on every sports show.

• NatsLady - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I believe you are incorrect. It was probably in his contract that he had to go. It usually is.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Every player has an appearance clause but most appearances beyond FanFests and full team functions are negotiable.

• NatsLady - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Not saying that’s an excuse. He signed the contract, and he should do a good job at public appearances. But to say “no one force him to go” isn’t so. He was “forced” to go by the terms of his contract. The major-league contracts all (as far as I know) have public appearance requirements.

• NatsLady - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:14 PM

If you think our boys enjoy suiting in tuxes and making nice to donors at “Dream” events, then you are dreaming. Maybe some of them do, others… They’ll do it, and it’s for a good cause, and they’ll (hopefully) put a good face on it, but…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:23 PM

They don’t like them. They are like a model on display but outside of Werth never heard of a Nat being rude at a team event.

• 6ID20 - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM

It wasn’t a paid event. It was “social media day” at the ballpark shortly before the game. The Nats do the same kind of thing. I saw Clippard at one of them last season. But he’s a reliever so stuff like this doesn’t interfere so much with his pre game preparation.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:24 PM

250 people paid $50 each to go to the event. I will get you the link.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM

BTW, that was $12,500 generated by the Orioles in which tickets , some food and 1 drink were provided on a day the Ravens were playing in a Thursday against the Rays. The same sports show said it was the lowest actual attendance of the year.

• 6ID20 - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM

The Nats do the same kind of thing by holding pre game events in the clubs where you have to have a higher priced game ticket in order to get in. Camden Yards doesn’t have the variety of high priced clubs as Nats Park, so they just make it a separate admission for the event. Same deal.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:16 PM

This was charged well above the price of the ticket which was a bleacher seat. There was food and “a” drink.

Justify it as you want. It is not the same deal but if you want to stick up for the Orioles or Adam Jones, have at it.

• nats128 - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:11 PM

“NatsLady – Aug 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM
        I feel sorry for players having to do this kind of schtick. I know it’s in their contract, and I know they have to, but I’m sure a lot of them HATE it.”

I dont feel sorry for them. This is part of being a employee of a sports team. It comes with the territory.

For position players that dont go to the postseason they have the entire months of October, November, December, January and most of February off work. They work 7 days a week most weeks for 7 months straight and they are treated like Rock Stars. They stay in the b

Adam Jones will earn a minimum of $13,000,000 this year plus he has according to what I see a full-time autograph contract with Fanatics and endorsement deal with Nike Baseball. He is a known foodie and I doubt he rarely pays for a meal.

Adam Jones by 2018 will have earned well over $100 million lifetime. Screw him. If he can’t be nice to the people who pay indirectly his paycheck.

• npb99 - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Stupid think of Adam Jones to say. But I don’t know why people strive to be in the company of baseball players, or most other athletes. What makes 99% of athletes interesting is what they do on the field. Most of them have lived very narrow, sports-focused lives, with limited education and little exposure to anything outside the protected sports world. I wouldn’t ask any Nat what he most liked about DC. The fans and commenters on a blog like this will give far more interesting responses.

• 6ID20 - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Same deal. Pay more for access to a player and other perks. Not sure what your point is here beyond your irrational hatred of everything Baltimore. They probably don’t like you either.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:49 PM

They don’t. It’s very mutual.

• NatsLady - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:55 PM

“Paying more for access to the players” is right up there with pimping the players as far as I’m concerned. I don’t like that teams do it. I went to the season ticket holders deal and regretted it, even though I got a nice pic of myself with Rendon. Felt rather smarmy. Werth was the only one who did what he should have, namely walked on the field and walked off it without a glance at the fans. If you want to pay extra $$, I would rather they just give out extra bobble heads and caps, better view of the game, gourmet food service, etc.

• NatsLady - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:05 PM

If it were possible for players JUST to interact with kids, for the fun of it, that would be great. But, somehow, it isn’t.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:08 PM

But Ghost, you miss the point. Bryce wouldn’t sat that about DC, because, why would one? and lots of people would say it about Baltimore, because, why not?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM

LMAO Sec 3. Truth spoken.

26. Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM

“@AceballStats: #Nationals Bryce Harper has never faced a pitcher that was younger than him at any professional level

(via @baseball_ref)”

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Not just on a pro level, I bet, but also in his year in JUCO.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:16 PM

I think so and possibly even further back. Just shows that age potential.

27. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:25 PM

For what it’s worth, tonight is Felix Hernandez bobblehead night in Seattle.

• micksback1 - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM

and here’s to the King

Elvis said, “Find ‘em young”
      And Fred said “Old Fashioned girls are fun”
      Yabba Dabba Doo, the King is gone
      And so are you

LOL

28. veejh - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM

How about JZimm’s August….in 6 starts 4-0 w/ a 2.21 ERA. Not bad.

• micksback1 - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:39 PM

good stat and point

29. micksback1 - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Chase:

Desi’s at bat should have been listed as the number one hitting highlight, that was his best ab ever.

• Eric - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:50 PM

+1, that was amazing.

30. natsfan1a - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Just finished speed-watching the recording. Awesome win. Didn’t see that one coming. Kinda felt sorry for the all of King’s Court people. They didn’t see that one coming either.

Funny near the end of the postgame presser where Williams commented about Kilgore and Ladson evidently flubbing a chance at a ball in the press box. Kilgore was alibiing – “I didn’t see the ball” or some such. Good stuff.

• Eric - Aug 30, 2014 at 2:50 PM

IMO, the whole King Felix and King’s Court thing is teed up for exactly what happened last night. It’s all just hanging out there begging to be turned into a punchline.

Loved the moment when the game was interrupted by debris on the field, which turned out to be a paper airplane made out of one of the King’s Court K cards. Hilarious!

• natsfan1a - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I did kinda like when FP trolled a bit during the shots of sad-faced folks with their King’s Court shirts and their idle King’s Court signs: “Not happy.”

31. natsfan1a - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I don’t know, that paper airplane looked pointy and sharp. :-)

On another note, I think this one was from the pregame, but I watched the pregame and postgame shows after I watched the game recording, so I’m not sure – there was a funny clip with an animation of the Werth gnome. I believe they said the video was done by someone at the MLB Fan Cave.

32. natsfan1a - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Of course, maybe this was covered in the game thread, which I’ve not read. If so, eh, I didn’t say it first. I can live with that.

33. NatsLady - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:37 PM

DIfferent topic. (I’m bored at work but can’t leave.) Nats are the worst in the NL at bunting, but the stats. They have a 64% success rate. Cincinnati is highest with 82% success. Definitely room for improvement. I found new stats I didn’t know existed on Baseball Reference.

• NatsLady - Aug 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM

They are also the worst at making productive outs. Only 28%. Best is COL at 35% and CIN (again) at 34%. OTOH, they are better than league average at NOT GIDP. League average is 11%. They are at 10% (it doesn’t show the decimal places).

34. Drew - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Have an inning Jayson Werth!