Nov 4, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
After leading his team to an NL-best 96 wins in his rookie season as skipper, Matt Williams has been named a finalist for National League Manager of the Year by the Baseball Writers Association of America. Williams is among three nominees, the others are Bruce Bochy of the Giants and Clint Hurdle of the Pirates. Bochy…
Jul 11, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Ian Desmond was not in the Nationals’ lineup Friday night, but manager Matt Williams expects his shortstop to return Saturday after getting hit by a pitch at the base of his right thumb. “He’s fine,” Williams said prior to Friday’s series opener against the Phillies. “He’s a little sore. He got in, did…
Jul 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
For much of the 10 seasons since the Nationals moved to Washington, the regional rivalry of the Nats and Orioles has generally featured little more than a short commute between ballparks. As recently as three years ago, both teams were perennially among the worst in baseball. And by the time they faced each other in interleague play,…
Jul 8, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
Matt Williams can rattle off the names of several former managers who helped him learn how best to deal with a clubhouse full of major leaguers and keep everybody on the same page: Roger Craig, Dusty Baker, Bob Brenly. Ask Williams who most taught him how to prepare himself and his team for a ballgame,…
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Big pitching showdown in series finale
- One more category Bryce Harper leads the NL in
- Some good, some really ugly in Nats loss
- Cubs' farm team trolls Nats, Wizards after walk-off win
- Around the NL East: Another week of drama for the Marlins
- Nationals lose tough one on walk-off vs. Cubs
- Bryce Harper still doesn't think he's MLB's best
- Nats go for 2 in a row at Wrigley
- Marlins players fail to show up at charity event
- Cubs manager Joe Maddon doesn't get criticism of Bryce Harper