Mar 13, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
The Nationals made another round of cuts this morning, reducing their big-league roster by six. Left-hander Matt Purke and outfielder Michael Taylor each were optioned to Class AA Harrisburg. Pitchers Josh Roenicke, Danny Rosenbaum, Clay Hensley and Daniel Stange — none of them members of the 40-man roster — were reassigned to minor-league camp. Purke…
Dec 1, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Age on Opening Day 2014: 23 How acquired: Draft (3rd round), June 2011 Position: Starting pitcher Prospect Rank: N/A 2013 Team/Level: Hagerstown Suns (Single-A), Potomac Nationals (Single-A), Mesa Solar Sox (AFL) 2013 Stats: 18 G, 6-4, 3.80 ERA, 90.0 IP, 92 H, 45 R, 38 ER, 6 HR, 25 BB, 82 SO, 5 HBP, 10 WP, 1.300 WHIP (two teams) AFL…
Oct 22, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
A new wave of young Nats pitching prospects is on display in the Arizona Fall League, and the early returns from two players in particular are very good. Sammy Solis and Matt Purke, both left-handers drafted recently by the Nats, are off to strong starts with the Mesa Solar Sox. Solis is 3-0 through three…
Aug 27, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
The Washington Nationals will have eight representatives in the 2013 Arizona Fall League, all playing for the Mesa Solar Sox. Outfielder Brian Goodwin, catcher Adrian Nieto, first baseman Matt Skole and outfielder Steven Souza are the position players the Nats are sending. Sammy Solis, Matt Purke, Robert Benincasa and Richie Mirowski are the pitching prospects.…
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week