Rule 5 draft
Dec 11, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
SAN DIEGO — A Winter Meetings that saw the Nationals sign zero free agents and make zero trades concluded Thursday morning with zero players selected and zero players lost in both the major-league and minor-league portions of the annual Rule 5 draft. It’s the first time that has happened in club history, but it’s perhaps…
Nov 20, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
The Nationals added four prospects to their 40-man roster Thursday, protecting all from next month’s Rule 5 draft, clearing space for one of them by dropping veteran reliever Ryan Mattheus. Right-hander A.J. Cole, outfielder Brian Goodwin, infielder Wilmer Difo and left-handed reliever Matt Grace all had their contracts purchased, putting them on the organization’s 40-man…
Oct 18, 2014, 3:12 PM EST
While the Giants and Royals get set to play the 2014 World Series, the Nationals and 27 other MLB teams are in the early stages of their offseason. Here is a look at some important dates to keep in mind while you wait the four long months before pitchers and catchers report to spring training…
Dec 12, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The Nationals lost Adrian Nieto in Thursday’s Rule 5 draft to the White Sox, who are hoping the 24-year-old catcher has progressed enough to spend 2014 in the major leagues. Nieto, a fifth-round pick in the 2008 draft, was well-liked by Nationals officials, but his slow development (he hasn’t advanced…
Nov 20, 2013, 8:09 PM EST
Needing to make tweaks to their 40-man roster before Thursday’s midnight deadline to protect players from being lost in next month’s Rule 5 draft, the Nationals purchased the contracts of pitchers Sammy Solis and Aaron Barrett and outfielder Michael Taylor while designating left-handers Fernando Abad and Tyler Robertson for assignment. Solis, Barrett and Taylor were…
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign Tony Gwynn Jr. to minor-league deal
- Zimmerman getting used to working with fellow infielders at 1B
- Zimmermann ready for game action after live BP, including one hit batter
- Strasburg talks signing of Max Scherzer, rise of Nats as franchise
- Why the Nationals don't use the shift more
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem
- Marlins ace Fernandez takes big step in Tommy John recovery