Apr 15, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
On April 27 at Nationals Park before the Nats play the Padres, seven new members of the Washington, DC Sports Hall of Fame will be enshrined. The inductees will receive a commemorative plaque, and their names will be added to the Hall of Fame display right outside the stadium.
Here is the 2014 class:
Driesell, Holliday and Weller each represent the University of Maryland. Driesell was the men’s basketball coach from 1969 to 1986. He led the Terps to the 1984 ACC championship.
Holliday is a sports broadcaster who calls games for Maryland’s football and men’s basketball teams. He also hosts pre- and postgame shows for the Nationals.
Weller coached the Terrapins’ women’s basketball team from 1975 to 2002. She is from Silver Spring, Md. and graduated from Maryland in 1966.
Kolzig was one of the best players in Washington Capitals history and currently serves on the team’s coaching staff. He played 17 seasons in the NHL, 16 of them with the Caps.
Solomon was the sports editor at The Washington Post and a longtime columnist. He currently teaches sports journalism classes at Maryland.
Lerner is the managing principal owner of the Washington Nationals and owner of Lerner Enterprises. He graduated from George Washington University and is a partner in Monumental Sports & Entertainment.
Weiss is a two-time Olympic figure skater originally from Washington, DC. He attended high school at W.T. Woodson in Fairfax, Va.
Past inductees include Walter Johnson, Sammy Baugh and Morgan Wootten.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"